* Re: no graph after compilation
@ 2004-08-12 10:16 Duncan Hothersall
From: Duncan Hothersall @ 2004-08-12 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eros Albertazzi wrote:

 >Patrick Gundlach wrote:
>>
>> But unzipping it on top of the texlive was not the very best idea I'd
>> guess.
 >
 >I agree... but be aware that in
 >http://contextgarden.net/Linux_Installation this is just what is
 >suggested

As the author of that page I should respond!

First of all, as the name suggests, it's about a Linux installation, and
this is a Windows installation. I have no experience at all of Windows
installs, and nothing on that page should be applied to Windows unless
you know that it works there too. I don't.

Second, the reason I make that recommendation is that in my set up, that
is what works best. (Essentially that page is a copy of my own readme
file which reminds me how to set up my server again after it crashes...)
Replacing the files removes any doubt about versions of files being
used, and forces one to review and understand the file structure and
changes between versions. I always diff the complete fileset first to
see what's changed.

Perhaps a Windows_Installation page will be the result of the process
you are going through. :-)

Duncan

* Re: no graph after compilation
@ 2004-08-12 19:06 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-08-12 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Duncan,

> As the author of that page I should respond!

:-)

> First of all, as the name suggests, it's about a Linux installation,
> and this is a Windows installation.

Which should not make any differences when talking about tds.

> I have no experience at all of Windows installs, and nothing on that
> page should be applied to Windows unless you know that it works
> there too. I don't.

Neither have I (windows experience)

> Second, the reason I make that recommendation is that in my set up,
> that is what works best. (Essentially that page is a copy of my own
> readme file which reminds me how to set up my server again after it
> crashes...) Replacing the files removes any doubt about versions of
> files being used, and forces one to review and understand the file
> structure and changes between versions. I always diff the complete
> fileset first to see what's changed.

But the point is that with the changed metapost subdirectory, the old
metafun stuff will stay there and will still be used unless you
update your setup.

> Perhaps a Windows_Installation page will be the result of the process
> you are going through. :-)

I think that distinguishing between texlive/miktex/whatevertex makes
more sense here.

Patrick
--
ConTeXt wiki: http://contextgarden.net
texshow-web:  http://texshow.contextgarden.net

* Re: Re: no graph after compilation
@ 2004-08-12 19:28   ` Floris van Manen
From: Floris van Manen @ 2004-08-12 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

what is going on here???
is this the babel of our time? :-)

OK, i re-installed a fresh copy of fpTex with the Context option.
It will *not* install texexec at first.
only after removing and re-installing the context option it will.
then i added/unzipped all the cont-*.zip files into the texmf folder.
i also copied the texexec.pl files into the place where the original
files were.

when i do a texexec --make  at pone point it will complain.

(c:/TeXLive/texmf/metapost/context/base/metafun.mp
! I can't find file `plain.mp'.
l.27   input plain.mp
                      ; % John Hobby's file
Please type another input file name:

what is it that i do wrong here (or before).

(help)
% floris

* Re: Re: no graph after compilation
@ 2004-08-12 22:05     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-08-12 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Floris van Manen wrote:

>what is going on here???
>is this the babel of our time? :-)
>

>OK, i re-installed a fresh copy of fpTex with the Context option.
>It will *not* install texexec at first.
>only after removing and re-installing the context option it will.
>then i added/unzipped all the cont-*.zip files into the texmf folder.
>i also copied the texexec.pl files into the place where the original
>files were.
>
>when i do a texexec --make  at pone point it will complain.
>
>(c:/TeXLive/texmf/metapost/context/base/metafun.mp
>! I can't find file `plain.mp'.
>l.27   input plain.mp
>                      ; % John Hobby's file
>Please type another input file name:

if you install context, you can best do it into

  texmf-local

(sometimes texmflocal)

that way the files will be found there first; (it's also easier to prune that tree)

here i have:

texmf : latest tex live
texmf-local : updates
texmf-fonts : all kind if font stuff
texmf-project : project files

(i set the texmf cum suis variables to handle that)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2004-08-12 22:02                                         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-08-12 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick Gundlach wrote:

>>that is explaining the situation. But for an end-user (i try to keep
>>myself on that level) it is *not* very convenient left with this
>>situation (not knowing it exists in the first place)
>>

>Not all hope is lost. IIRC there were two important differences from
>your texlive upto now:
>
>1) paths of scripts have changed (now in texmf/scripts/context/perl/
>   I don't remember were they were ... wait.... texmf/context/perltk)
>
>2) metafun macros are now in metapost/context/base (hmm, it looks as
>   if this is now since a long time ... OK found it: this was in
>   metapost/context in version 2003.1.28 and in .../base in version
>   2003.1.30 - long time before current texlive came out. You use the
>   current texlive (almost a year old now))?
>
>So you are probably only affected by 1). Any window user should tell
>you how to use the texexec.pl from the scripts path and use this in
>favour of the default one.

if you have textools.rb:

textools --fixtexmftrees

will fix the tree

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2004-08-12 19:26                                       ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-08-12 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Floris,

> that is explaining the situation. But for an end-user (i try to keep
> myself on that level) it is *not* very convenient left with this
> situation (not knowing it exists in the first place)

Not all hope is lost. IIRC there were two important differences from
your texlive upto now:

1) paths of scripts have changed (now in texmf/scripts/context/perl/
   I don't remember were they were ... wait.... texmf/context/perltk)

2) metafun macros are now in metapost/context/base (hmm, it looks as
   if this is now since a long time ... OK found it: this was in
   metapost/context in version 2003.1.28 and in .../base in version
   2003.1.30 - long time before current texlive came out. You use the
   current texlive (almost a year old now))?

So you are probably only affected by 1). Any window user should tell
you how to use the texexec.pl from the scripts path and use this in
favour of the default one.

> I guess i have to uninstall the present pftex and start from
> scratch.

Oh no, don't do this. It looks fine. An uptodate texexec is not
extremely important.

> Which one is the best option to get Context,metafun,xml working?
> And i would like to have a similar working set on my OSX laptop too.
> Where are the experts ? :-)

You use texlive on your OS X laptop? That is what I have, too. I have
not taken the default ConTeXt, but downloaded a current one from
Pragma ADE page and installed it in a spearate directory and did a
few things that are mentioned on my old ConTeXt page
(http://levana.de/context).

> Hints for improvement:

[...]

I'll return to the live... next week, I'll save your (and the other)
suggestions until then.

Patrick

--

@ 2004-08-12 11:03                                     ` Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2004-08-12 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>i got the update from pragma-ade.com, unzipped the files in
>>c:\texlive\texmf i did run the texexec --make
>>but i still have texexec 4.0 running...
>

> Any windows / texlive users should be able to tell you more.

Win / TeX Live call Perl scripts via .exe files of the same name.
But I do not know connection between them (e.g. if it follows kpsewhich
for finding new .pl in texmf-local).

Somebody should know more, somebody had to prepare .exe files.

Vit Zyka

P.S. I suppose you can call new one via
   perl %TEXEXECPATH%\texexec.pl %*

* Re: no graph after compilation
@ 2004-08-12  8:05                                     ` Eros Albertazzi
From: Eros Albertazzi @ 2004-08-12  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick Gundlach wrote:

> But unzipping it on top of the texlive was not the very best idea I'd
> guess.

I agree... but be aware that in
http://contextgarden.net/Linux_Installation this is just what is suggested

* Re: no graph after compilation
@ 2004-08-12  7:47                                   ` Patrick Gundlach
                                                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-08-12  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Floris,

> i got the update from pragma-ade.com, unzipped the files in
> c:\texlive\texmf i did run the texexec --make
> but i still have texexec 4.0 running...

Any windows / texlive users should be able to tell you more.

But unzipping it on top of the texlive was not the very best idea I'd
guess. The directory structure has changed a bit with respect to the
location of scripts and metapost files, so your old texlive metafun
macros will be used.

Patrick
--

@ 2004-08-12  7:42                               ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-08-12  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Hans and Floris,

>>This is indeed strange. Any metapost experts?
>>
> how did the graphic definition look? Hans

Well, a look at the source while being awake (although this is hardly
possible without coffee yet) made it clear, that there is a simple
drawoptions() missing to erase the former drawoptions() statement.

So Floris, use:

[...]

%%%%%   enable/disable this section %%%%%%%%%%
picture pic ; pic := currentpicture ;
currentpicture := nullpicture ;

drawoptions();
draw pic scaled 1.0 ;
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

[...]

Patrick
--

@ 2004-08-12  7:25                                 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-08-12  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick Gundlach wrote:

>There is no way to update this automaticalliy. But take a look at the
>wiki and http://levana.de/context/  (still need to put this into the
>wiki).

actually, if you run a minimal tree, you can do a sycn with the tree on out server using texsync, but i have to test that -)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2004-08-12  7:13                             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-08-12  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2004-08-11 18:17                               ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-08-11 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Floris,

> i guess it might have to do with the versions of the programs
> involved. below you see the output of my version and the contextgarden
> version.

That might be the case. But a year ago things should have worked the
same way.

@ 2004-08-11 16:38                           ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-08-11 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

@ 2004-08-11 16:30                   ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-08-11 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Vit,

> cont-sys.tex (without comments):
> \usetypescript [berry] [\defaultencoding]
> \runMPgraphicstrue
> \runMPTEXgraphicstrue
> \useMETAFUNformattrue
> \newprettytrue
> \protectbufferstrue

That looks fine to me.

Patrick
--

@ 2004-08-11 16:00                 ` Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2004-08-11 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>VZ> Floris, you are not alone. I also have not find the quick solution. So I
>>VZ> call texexec two times when working with MP graphics,
>>VZ> color definitions, ... :-(
>>
>>running it twice is something i can live with, but if it will not
>>solve the problem, then it is... what do i do wrong?
>

> Vit and Floris,
>
> if your TeX source is one file only, please do me a favour: try the
> TeX files on live.contextgarden.net and see if the output comes out
> right. If it doesn't, I'd like to know about it. If it does, please
> report on the list. Do you have write18 (texmf.cnf) enabled? How does your
> cont-sys.tex look like? What distribution do you use?
>
> I have (on live..) disabled write18, \runMPgraphicstrue
> and \runMPTEXgraphicstrue.

Thank you, Patrick, I will monitor the case and I will let you know if
it occures again.

I am using two distributions (the case was observed on both):
1) TeX Live 2002/Linux; write18 enabled
2) TeX Live 2003/Win 2K, updated ConTeXt on Win 2000;
    write18 disabled for a long time, but it was enabled a month ago

cont-sys.tex (without comments):
\usetypescript [berry] [\defaultencoding]
\runMPgraphicstrue
\runMPTEXgraphicstrue
\useMETAFUNformattrue
\newprettytrue
\protectbufferstrue

Vit

* Re: no graph after compilation
@ 2004-08-11 15:34                       ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-08-11 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Floris van Manen <vm@klankschap.nl> writes:

> PG> currentpicture :=nullpicture;
> PG> draw pic scaled 3 ;
> PG>
> PG> clears the first picture.
>

> but i only intend to draw one picture...

is this a question? Did you try the code?

Patrick
--

@ 2004-08-11 15:14                   ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-08-11 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Floris,

> the line. i see two lines, a single row of dots and two rows of
> labels, one small one large...
> You can tell that i'm not very good in telling the right thing to the
> compiler :-)
> but what should i tell?

You should tell metapost to erase the first picture before drawing
the second one. So:

@ 2004-08-11 15:07                   ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-08-11 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Floris,

> where do i do this?
> in C:\texLive\texmf\tex\context\user\cont-sys.rme ?
> and what do i type there?

see the wiki:

http://contextgarden.net/Cont-sys.tex
and
http://contextgarden.net/Texmf.cnf

Does this help?

Patrick
--

@ 2004-08-11 14:21               ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-08-11 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2004-08-11 14:00           ` Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2004-08-11 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2004-08-11 12:55       ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2004-08-11 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Floris,

it seems that you haven't reached page 307....
Have fun,

    Peter

Floris van Manen wrote:

>i'm working through the metafun manual.
>i noticed at some point that changes to the source do not appear in
>the pdf output. sometimes after another texexec round, sometimes not
>at all until i do something different in the tex file...
>how come (or how to work around :-)
>
>thanks!
>//f

* no graph after compilation