* Re: font mystery
@ 2003-10-05 10:46 Thomas A.Schmitz
From: Thomas A.Schmitz @ 2003-10-05 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maybe one further element that would suggest Context is using a cached
copy of the tfm-file instead of the newly created file: when I move the
file Myfont.tfm out of the $home/texmf/fonts/tfm directory, pdftex
gives me the expected error "! I can't find file `Myfont'." However,
Context will still happily produce output--with an outdated copy of the
tfm! So context must be caching it somewhere, and I need to flush that
cache. Anyone an idea how this can be done?

Thanks

Thomas

* Re: Re: font mystery
@ 2003-10-07  7:12 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-10-07  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 12:46 05/10/2003, you wrote:
>Maybe one further element that would suggest Context is using a cached
>copy of the tfm-file instead of the newly created file: when I move the
>file Myfont.tfm out of the $home/texmf/fonts/tfm directory, pdftex gives
>me the expected error "! I can't find file `Myfont'." However, Context
>will still happily produce output--with an outdated copy of the tfm! So
>context must be caching it somewhere, and I need to flush that cache.
>Anyone an idea how this can be done?

maybe issuing the command "mktexlsr" helps

Hans

* Re: Re: font mystery
@ 2003-10-07  8:09   ` Thomas A.Schmitz
From: Thomas A.Schmitz @ 2003-10-07  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, October 7, 2003, at 09:12  AM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> maybe issuing the command "mktexlsr" helps

Well, I solved my immediate problem by renaming the tfm file to
MyFontNew.tfm and editing the appropriate line in the map file. But I'm
still curious what caused the problem. No, mktexlsr wouldn't help since
all the files are in my local tree which doesn't use ls-R indexes. I
had a dim impression that Context was kinda stubborn before: I had
tried something new, given up and switched off the computer. The next
day--bamm, the thing would work without a hitch. So, is Context using
some internal caches for stuff like this?

* Re: Re: font mystery
@ 2003-10-07 19:09 ` Matt Gushee
From: Matt Gushee @ 2003-10-07 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 12:46:50PM +0200, Thomas A.Schmitz wrote:
> Maybe one further element that would suggest Context is using a cached
> copy of the tfm-file instead of the newly created file: when I move the
> file Myfont.tfm out of the $home/texmf/fonts/tfm directory, pdftex
> gives me the expected error "! I can't find file `Myfont'." However,
> Context will still happily produce output--with an outdated copy of the
> tfm!

Are you sure it is the TFM file that is out of date? Or might it be a PK
font? If it is the latter, you can simply find the PK font cache (often
something like /var/lib/texmf/fonts/... on Linux systems) and delete
any suspicious files.

mgushee@havenrock.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.

                            --Lao Tzu (Peter Merel, trans.)

* Re: Re: font mystery
@ 2003-10-08  9:07   ` Thomas A.Schmitz
From: Thomas A.Schmitz @ 2003-10-08  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Are you sure it is the TFM file that is out of date? Or might it be a
> PK
> font?

No, it is a (postscript) font I'm creating myself, so there is no
pk-file. I'm having the same trouble again this morning: edited
pfb-file, saved, new file is used in pdftex testfont, Context is still
using the old version.

Thomas

* Re: font mystery
@ 2003-10-10 17:05     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-10-10 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

> No, it is a (postscript) font I'm creating myself, so there is no
> pk-file. I'm having the same trouble again this morning: edited
> pfb-file, saved, new file is used in pdftex testfont, Context is still
> using the old version.

... of what? the tfm file or the pfb file?

ConTeXt does not cache anything. So the probability that your system is
misconfigured is > 0. I've forgotten: what system are you using?

Patrick
--
You are your own rainbow!

* Re: Re: font mystery
@ 2003-10-10 20:52     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-10-10 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 11:07 08/10/2003, you wrote:
>>Are you sure it is the TFM file that is out of date? Or might it be a PK
>>font?
>
>No, it is a (postscript) font I'm creating myself, so there is no pk-file.
>I'm having the same trouble again this morning: edited pfb-file, saved,
>new file is used in pdftex testfont, Context is still using the old version.

you can use kpsewhich to see what font pdftex finds first, it's probably a
file search problem (did you run mktexlsr?)

Hans

* Re: Re: font mystery
@ 2003-10-11 11:23       ` Thomas A.Schmitz
From: Thomas A.Schmitz @ 2003-10-11 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

\startembarrassment
I found out what caused the strange behavior. I was testing the font in
a directory where there was also an old instance of the .tfm-file. So
Context would search the working directory, find everything it needed
to produce the font, and thus neglect all the new stuff I had modified
and installed into $home/texmf. Performing the tests in a different
directory removed all the unexplicable behavior.
\stopembarrassment
Thanks to all for looking into this, and sorry for the confusion I
created.
On an unrelated note: please forgive if I seem sluggish in responding
to posts. For some reason I can't figure out (and Erik looked into this
and tried to help), some of my posts take three days or even longer
before they get posted.

* Re: Re: font mystery
@ 2003-10-14 19:45         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-10-14 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 13:23 11/10/2003, you wrote:
>\startembarrassment
>I found out what caused the strange behavior. I was testing the font in a
>directory where there was also an old instance of the .tfm-file. So
>Context would search the working directory, find everything it needed to
>produce the font, and thus neglect all the new stuff I had modified and
>installed into $home/texmf. Performing the tests in a different directory
>removed all the unexplicable behavior.
>\stopembarrassment

in texmf.cnf you can see how paths are configured, some paths indeed have .
as first path to consult; in general, context itself will look for source
files in

./
../.
../../.
tex input paths

but fonts and alike are out of context's control

Hans

* font mystery
@ 2003-10-05  9:15 ` Thomas A.Schmitz
From: Thomas A.Schmitz @ 2003-10-05  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

My brain is spinning, I hope somebody can help me. I am trying to
create a new font (with pfaedit), and things seem to be working well. i
now have most uppercase and lowercase characters. When I run "pdftex
testfont *Myfont *\table *\bye," I get all the glyphs I created. When I
do the same with tex or pdfetex, I get all the glyphs I created. When I
produce a simple testfile for ConteXt, some of the glyphs (specifically
some of the uppercase characters) are simply missing. But pdfetex can
create them! What am I doing wrong??? Here's my simple file:

\definefontsynonym[Greekfont][Myfont]

\definefont[MySecondFont][Greekfont]

\starttext

\MySecondFont abcdefghijklmnopqrstuwxyz

A D E F G H J K M N O P Q R S T U Z

\stoptext

On the pdf, I get all the lowercase glyphs + A G O P Q R T Z, but not
the other glyphs, all of them defined, all of them present in my
testfont.pdf. The log doesn't show any warning vel. sim. I tried
playing around with several encodings both in pfaedit (I used Adobe
Standard, TeX8r, iso 8859) and my tex-file (I tried 8r, texnansi, ec),
all to no avail. Does anybody have a clue what's going wrong here? It
almost looks like ConteXt is using some old cache instead of the just
created tfm and pfb files, but where would that be? I am completely
baffled!

Best

Thomas