* on imposition and local or external files
@ 2008-11-06 23:08 Pablo Rodríguez
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2008-11-06 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi there,

I would like to use imposition to rearrange an existing PDF as a
booklet, but I don' have ConTeXt installed on the machine I would like
to do it.

Using http://live.contextgarden.net/ might do the job, but I have
problems to load the local file.

Is there any way to load a local file (or even an URL) with ConTeXt? How
should I rewrite the following command to load a local file or an URL in
ConteXt live?

\insertpages[original_file.pdf][width=0pt]

Thanks for your help,

Pablo

* Re: on imposition and local or external files
@ 2008-11-07 10:03 ` Taco Hoekwater
       [not found] ` <6faad9f00811070409r7f30cd66o938c0b8ce56e54e7@mail.gmail.com>
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-11-07 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I would like to use imposition to rearrange an existing PDF as a
> booklet, but I don' have ConTeXt installed on the machine I would like
> to do it.
>
> Using http://live.contextgarden.net/ might do the job, but I have
> problems to load the local file.
>
> Is there any way to load a local file (or even an URL) with ConTeXt? How
> should I rewrite the following command to load a local file or an URL in
> ConteXt live?

In mkii, this is simply impossible.

If you have the program "curl" installed, you can use an url as a
file name in context mkiv. You cannot reach a local file from
http://live.contextgarden.net, however (and that is a good thing).

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: on imposition and local or external files
@ 2008-11-07 10:26   ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2008-11-07 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 11:03 AM, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:

> Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I would like to use imposition to rearrange an existing PDF as a
> > booklet, but I don' have ConTeXt installed on the machine I would like
> > to do it.
> >
> > Using http://live.contextgarden.net/ might do the job, but I have
> > problems to load the local file.
> >
> > Is there any way to load a local file (or even an URL) with ConTeXt? How
> > should I rewrite the following command to load a local file or an URL in
> > ConteXt live?
>
> In mkii, this is simply impossible.
>
> If you have the program "curl" installed, you can use an url as a
> file name in context mkiv.

curl as os.spawn ?
Why don't use lua-curl
http://luaforge.net/projects/lua-curl/

--
luigi

* Re: on imposition and local or external files
@ 2008-11-07 10:50     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-11-07 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

luigi scarso wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 11:03 AM, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com
> <mailto:taco@elvenkind.com>> wrote:
>

>     Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
>      > Hi there,
>      >
>      > I would like to use imposition to rearrange an existing PDF as a
>      > booklet, but I don' have ConTeXt installed on the machine I would
>     like
>      > to do it.
>      >
>      > Using http://live.contextgarden.net/ might do the job, but I have
>      > problems to load the local file.
>      >
>      > Is there any way to load a local file (or even an URL) with
>     ConTeXt? How
>      > should I rewrite the following command to load a local file or an
>     URL in
>      > ConteXt live?
>
>     In mkii, this is simply impossible.
>
>     If you have the program "curl" installed, you can use an url as a
>     file name in context mkiv.
>
> curl as os.spawn ?
> Why don't use lua-curl
> http://luaforge.net/projects/lua-curl/

we have the socket library and at some point i'll rewrite the code to
use that

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-11-07 10:52     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-11-07 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

luigi scarso wrote:

> curl as os.spawn ?
> Why don't use lua-curl
> http://luaforge.net/projects/lua-curl/

300kb extra in the binary and an extra portability headache.

Luatex actually includes the luasocket libraries, so that
would be a better option, but it takes time to write the code
for a http/ftp fetcher to replace curl completely.

If you (or someone else) is interested in writing a replacement
for luat-crl.lua, have a look at:

   http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/~diego/professional/luasocket/

The bare bones usage (for http) is as simple as this:

   local http = require("socket.http")
   local content, responsecode, extra = http.request(arg[1])
   io.write (content)

but in real life, you have to deal with partial content,
errors codes, url escaping, etc. etc.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: on imposition and local or external files
@ 2008-11-07 11:22       ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2008-11-07 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 11:52 AM, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:

> luigi scarso wrote:
> >
> > curl as os.spawn ?
> > Why don't use lua-curl
> > http://luaforge.net/projects/lua-curl/
>
> 300kb extra in the binary

true

> and an extra portability headache.

true and strongest than first.

> Luatex actually includes the luasocket libraries, so that
> would be a better option, but it takes time to write the code
> for a http/ftp fetcher to replace curl completely.
>
> If you (or someone else) is interested in writing a replacement
> for luat-crl.lua, have a look at:

no-no-no, it's difficult to compete with curl (IM(A)O) .

--
luigi

@ 2008-11-08 12:39   ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2008-11-08 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, Taco, Luigi, Hans and Mojca.

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> Is there any way to load a local file (or even an URL) with ConTeXt? How
>> should I rewrite the following command to load a local file or an URL in
>> ConteXt live?
>
> Live doesn't allow you to load local files. People could upload all
> kinds of junk.

Actually I wanted to get proper imposition for “The Future of The
Internet — And How to Stop It” on a computer that doesn't have ConTeXt
installed and on which I couldn't install ConTeXt even if I had
administrator rights.

Sorry, but I don't understand the problem here. If people upload all
kinds of junk, why is this an issue? Or does ConteXt live show or store
data for other users than the uploader? I thought that it was not a
hosting or publishing service.

@ 2008-11-08 14:22       ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2008-11-08 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Nov 07 2008, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> > curl as os.spawn ?
> > Why don't use lua-curl
> > http://luaforge.net/projects/lua-curl/
>
> 300kb extra in the binary and an extra portability headache.

I don't understand all the trouble...
This works very well on live.contextgarden.net (luatex):

\starttext
bla
\externalfigure[http://pmrb.free.fr/tmp/hacker.jpg]
bla
\stoptext

Fetching a pdf instead of a jpg should be possible too, I believe...

Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

@ 2008-11-08 14:57 ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2008-11-08 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Nov 07 2008, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:

> Is there any way to load a local file (or even an URL) with ConTeXt? How
> should I rewrite the following command to load a local file or an URL in
> ConteXt live?
>
> \insertpages[original_file.pdf][width=0pt]

I did not find any documentation about \insertpages[][] but I've just tried
it out:

\starttext
\insertpages[http://meeting.contextgarden.net/2008/talks/%
2008-08-21-taco-luatex/luatex-talk.pdf][width=0pt]
\stoptext

It just works!
Good luck, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: on imposition and local or external files
@ 2008-11-08 19:21   ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2008-11-08 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Münster wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 07 2008, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
>
>> Is there any way to load a local file (or even an URL) with ConTeXt? How
>> should I rewrite the following command to load a local file or an URL in
>> ConteXt live?
>>
>> \insertpages[original_file.pdf][width=0pt]
>
> I did not find any documentation about \insertpages[][] but I've just tried
> it out:
>
> \starttext
> \insertpages[http://meeting.contextgarden.net/2008/talks/%
> 2008-08-21-taco-luatex/luatex-talk.pdf][width=0pt]
> \stoptext
>
> It just works!

Many thanks for your help, Peter.

@ 2008-12-15 20:32     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2008-12-15 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

> Sorry, but I don't understand the problem here. If people upload all
> kinds of junk, why is this an issue? Or does ConteXt live show or store
> data for other users than the uploader? I thought that it was not a
> hosting or publishing service.

ConTeXt live does not store anything for more than a few minutes.

Patrick

--
ConTeXt wiki and more: http://contextgarden.net