* Indenting all lines in a paragraph, first line excluded
@ 2003-11-13 11:49 Tim 't Hart
From: Tim 't Hart @ 2003-11-13 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I'm busy writing a paper using ConTeXt that includes a bibliography. I'm
designing the layout of this bibliography and I need a special paragraph
style.

I want the first line of the paragraph to appear normally, and the second
and all consecutive lines to be indented. So basically you can also say that
I want an 'inverted' paragraph; instead of an indented first line, I want
all the other lines to be indented instead.

Is there a simple way to achieve this? I've read the manual looking for
clues but so far I haven't been successful. Any hints on where to look?

My best,
Tim

* Re: Indenting all lines in a paragraph, first line excluded
@ 2003-11-13 12:21 ` Bill McClain
From: Bill McClain @ 2003-11-13 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 12:49:44 +0100
"Tim 't Hart" <tim@t-hart.com> wrote:

> I want the first line of the paragraph to appear normally, and the
> second and all consecutive lines to be indented. So basically you can
> also say that I want an 'inverted' paragraph; instead of an indented
> first line, I want all the other lines to be indented instead.

I don't know if there is a more Context-way of doing it, but I've used
this:

    \hangafter=1 \hangindent=1em

in each paragraph that needs it.

-Bill
--
Sattre Press                            Curiosities of the Sky
http://sattre-press.com/                    by Garrett Serviss

* RE: Indenting all lines in a paragraph, first line excluded
@ 2003-11-13 12:53   ` Tim 't Hart
From: Tim 't Hart @ 2003-11-13 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

Bill McClain wrote:

> I don't know if there is a more Context-way of doing it, but I've used
> this:
>
>     \hangafter=1 \hangindent=1em
>
> in each paragraph that needs it.

Thank you Bill! I've tried it and it's exactly what I need. I can't believe
it was this easy. And there is a lesson for me to be learned here: I
shouldn't depend on all the higher-level ConTeXt commands that much!

Thanks,

@ 2003-11-13 22:16     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-11-13 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

> And there is a lesson for me to be learned here: I
> shouldn't depend on all the higher-level ConTeXt commands that much!

Well, it is not always a bad idea to look for a high level command
first. If you use low level ones you should know what you're doing.

In case you want the second and following lines indented by the width
of the first word (or more) of the first line, you can use:

\starthanging
{Lorem} ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Donec
hendrerit tempor tellus. Donec pretium posuere tellus. Proin quam
nisl, tincidunt et, mattis eget, convallis nec, purus. Cum sociis
natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus
mus. Nulla posuere. Donec vitae dolor. Nullam tristique diam non
turpis. Cras placerat accumsan nulla. Nullam rutrum. Nam vestibulum
accumsan nisl.
\stophanging

Patrick
--