* What's (in) a module?
@ 2005-02-15 16:20 Thomas A.Schmitz
From: Thomas A.Schmitz @ 2005-02-15 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Two maybe related questions:

1. What constitutes a module? I wrote a couple of definitions and put
them in a file t-foo.tex. When I write "\input t-foo" in the preamble
of my document, everything works fine (so the file is found by TeX).
When I say \usemodule[t-foo] or \usemodule[foo], I get "system
: no macros found in module foo" and, obviously, "undefined control
sequence." So: is there any special form for a module? I'm very curious
because I defined a set of similar macros in another module, and
everything works fine.

2. Is it possible to use a certain encoding file, enco-bar.tex, for
parts of a file only? Could one define a macro (in a module???) that
would do something like \switchtoencoding[bar] and switch back to the
file's default encoding afterwards?

Thanks to all, best

Thomas

* Re: What's (in) a module?
@ 2005-02-15 16:32 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-02-15 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A.Schmitz wrote:

> 1. What constitutes a module? I wrote a couple of definitions and put
> them in a file t-foo.tex. When I write "\input t-foo" in the preamble of
> my document, everything works fine (so the file is found by TeX). When I
> say \usemodule[t-foo] or \usemodule[foo], I get "system          : no
> macros found in module foo" and, obviously, "undefined control
> sequence." So: is there any special form for a module? I'm very curious
> because I defined a set of similar macros in another module, and
> everything works fine.

did you run mktexlsr?

> 2. Is it possible to use a certain encoding file, enco-bar.tex, for
> parts of a file only? Could one define a macro (in a module???) that
> would do something like \switchtoencoding[bar] and switch back to the
> file's default encoding afterwards?

you're talking about font encodings?

\definetypeface [PalatinoA] [rm] [serif] [palatino] [default] [encoding=texnansi]

\definetypeface [PalatinoB] [rm] [serif] [palatino] [default] [encoding=ec]

works ok; typefaces live in their own namespace

if you're talking about input encoding, you can switch regimes whenever you want

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: What's (in) a module?
@ 2005-02-15 17:25   ` Thomas A.Schmitz
From: Thomas A.Schmitz @ 2005-02-15 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 15, 2005, at 5:32 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Thomas A.Schmitz wrote:
>
>> 1. What constitutes a module? I wrote a couple of definitions and put
>> them in a file t-foo.tex. When I write "\input t-foo" in the preamble
>> of my document, everything works fine (so the file is found by TeX).
>> When I say \usemodule[t-foo] or \usemodule[foo], I get "system
>>   : no macros found in module foo" and, obviously, "undefined control
>> sequence." So: is there any special form for a module? I'm very
>> curious because I defined a set of similar macros in another module,
>> and everything works fine.
>
> did you run mktexlsr?
It's a file in my $HOMETEXMF which doesn't have lsR files. I ran
mktexlsr nevertheless, but to no avail. I really fail to understand...

>> 2. Is it possible to use a certain encoding file, enco-bar.tex, for
>> parts of a file only? Could one define a macro (in a module???) that
>> would do something like \switchtoencoding[bar] and switch back to the
>> file's default encoding afterwards?
>
> you're talking about font encodings?
>
> \definetypeface [PalatinoA] [rm] [serif] [palatino] [default]
> [encoding=texnansi]
>
> \definetypeface [PalatinoB] [rm] [serif] [palatino] [default]
> [encoding=ec]

Yes, I'm talking about font encodings. For the utf greek stuff, I
defined a file enco-agr to provide the named glyphs, which I call by
adding \useencoding[agr]. But I just realized that this will only add
these named files, not overload the other names in the default
encoding, so I guess that's a non-problem after all.

I guess Adam was in touch with you. unicode vectors and modules for
adding support for utf extended Greek are approaching completion. Maybe
we can think where to put the stuff (five fonts at least). Maybe a
CTAN/Context directory would be a good thing.

Thanks

Thomas

* Re: What's (in) a module?
@ 2005-02-15 17:32     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-02-15 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A.Schmitz wrote:

> It's a file in my $HOMETEXMF which doesn't have lsR files. I ran
> mktexlsr nevertheless, but to no avail. I really fail to understand...

weird; can you run with: \tracefilestrue

> I guess Adam was in touch with you. unicode vectors and modules for
> adding support for utf extended Greek are approaching completion. Maybe
> we can think where to put the stuff (five fonts at least). Maybe a
> CTAN/Context directory would be a good thing.

indeed

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: What's (in) a module?
@ 2005-02-15 18:25       ` Thomas A.Schmitz
From: Thomas A.Schmitz @ 2005-02-15 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 15, 2005, at 6:32 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Thomas A.Schmitz wrote:
>
>> It's a file in my $HOMETEXMF which doesn't have lsR files. I ran
>> mktexlsr nevertheless, but to no avail. I really fail to
>> understand...
>
> weird; can you run with: \tracefilestrue

Ha! That did it! tracefiles showed that ConTeXt was expecting a file
name with six or less characters after t-; my module was called
t-utfgreek, so ConTeXt was looking for t-utfgre and couldn't find it.
Renaming to t-utfgre.tex solved the problem. Is this restriction
hard-coded into the core or could it be changed somewhere?

So what about that CTAN directory? Would be a good idea, right?

Best

Thomas

* Re: What's (in) a module?
@ 2005-02-16  8:26         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-02-16  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A.Schmitz wrote:

> So what about that CTAN directory? Would be a good idea, right?

sure, but coordinate that with patrick so that it is referenced right from the wiki

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: What's (in) a module?
@ 2005-03-16  9:48         ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2005-03-16  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

[module t-utfgre.tex]

> So what about that CTAN directory? Would be a good idea, right?

What about a section "modules" on contextgarden.net that can serve as
a place for downloading third party modules as well as syncing with
CTAN?

Patrick
--
ConTeXt wiki: http://contextgarden.net

* Re: Re: What's (in) a module?
@ 2005-03-16 12:37           ` Thomas A.Schmitz
From: Thomas A.Schmitz @ 2005-03-16 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Excellent suggestion, will get in touch with you off-list!

Best

Thomas