* Again: \indenting[*hang*] ?!
@ 2003-09-22 14:27 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2003-09-22 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jens-Uwe Morawski <morawski@gmx.net> wrote:

>  On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 18:52:03 +0200
>  Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
>  > At 14:28 19/09/2003 +0200, Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
>  > >Hi,
>  > >
>  > >Is there a way to have something like \indenting[hang] ?
>  > >
>  > >With the first line not indented, but the second and following lines?
>  > >
>  > >
>  > >First I thought this is what is ment by \indenting[next],
>  > >but \indenting[next] seems to be exactly the same as \indenting[first], is
>  > >this right?
>  >
>  > kind of tricky, since settings to hangindent and alike are forgotten when
>  > the setup is followed by an empty line;
>  >
>  > there is \starthanging ... \stophanging now

Ah!

>  > but ... if we can assume that users start tagging their paragraphs with
>  > \bpar .. \epar i can imagine that we provide something \indenting [hang],
>  > so the question is: are you willing to tag
>
>  imo, the question is: what has hanging to do with indenting?
>  Aren't these things completely different matters?
>  If yes, please don't spoil \indenting with that.
>
>  \setuphanging already exists...

Hi Hans, hi Jens!

There is always another surprise in ConTexT. I mean:
How should I know? My sources are Hans's manuals + the list-archiv.
Neither in the manuals nor in the archive \setuphanging or
\starthanging is mentioned...

So I am sorry for asking for things that maybe already exist!

But now I have to ask: how do I use \setuphanging or \starthanging actually?
Is there some kind of documentation or at least a minimal example somewhere?

Thanks for the lessons.

Steffen

* Re: Again: \indenting[*hang*] ?!
@ 2003-09-22 15:06 ` Patrick Gundlach
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-09-22 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Wolfrum <wlfrm@estfiles.de> writes:

> There is always another surprise in ConTexT. I mean:
> How should I know?

I didn't know either. :-)

> My sources are Hans's manuals + the list-archiv. Neither in the
> manuals nor in the archive \setuphanging or \starthanging is
> mentioned...

Use the source, Luke ...

> So I am sorry for asking for things that maybe already exist!

Keep on asking. Even if were an faq you won't get your head pulled
off.

> But now I have to ask: how do I use \setuphanging or \starthanging
> actually? Is there some kind of documentation or at least a minimal
> example somewhere?

Not minimal, but an example:

\starttext

\starthanging
{Lorem ipsum} dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Donec
hendrerit tempor tellus. Donec pretium posuere tellus. Proin quam
nisl, tincidunt et, mattis eget, convallis nec, purus.
\stophanging

\setuphanging[distance=3cm]% default .5em
\starthanging
{Lorem ipsum} dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Donec
hendrerit tempor tellus. Donec pretium posuere tellus. Proin quam
nisl, tincidunt et, mattis eget, convallis nec, purus.
\stophanging

\setuphanging[distance=0cm]% default .5em
\starthanging
{Lorem ipsum} dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Donec
hendrerit tempor tellus. Donec pretium posuere tellus. Proin quam
nisl, tincidunt et, mattis eget, convallis nec, purus.
\stophanging

\stoptext

Patrick
--
Silent is the goldfish in its bowl

* Re: Re: Again: \indenting[*hang*] ?!
@ 2003-09-22 15:24   ` Thomas A.Schmitz
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Thomas A.Schmitz @ 2003-09-22 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

There's one command I have learnt during my first weeks with Context:

grep -r "setuphanging" /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/
[or whatever it is your looking for]

It's fast and allows you to filter the source files you need to look
at. They are surprisingly explicit and thus (at least in part)
accessible even for computer illiterates like myself.

Thomas

* Re: Again: \indenting[*hang*] ?!
@ 2003-09-22 15:41   ` Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2003-09-22 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick Gundlach <pg@levana.de> wrote:

>  Steffen Wolfrum <wlfrm@estfiles.de> writes:
>
>  > There is always another surprise in ConTexT. I mean:
>  > How should I know?
>
>  I didn't know either. :-)
>
>  > My sources are Hans's manuals + the list-archiv. Neither in the
>  > manuals nor in the archive \setuphanging or \starthanging is
>  > mentioned...
>
>  Use the source, Luke ...

Thanks again Patrick. Nice example.

Do you also could me a hint where to start reading the source?

For example in this case - setuphanging - which file's to read?

So I don't have to post so many (unanswered) questions any more...

Steffen

* reading the source
@ 2003-09-22 16:16     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-09-22 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Wolfrum <wlfrm@estfiles.de> writes:

Hi,

> Do you also could me a hint where to start reading the source?
See the following thread:

http://news.gmane.org/onethread.php?group=gmane.comp.tex.context&root=%3CNPEAKMHEICNGLIJBLOONGEDOCBAA.KrisHermans%40advalvas.be%3E

> For example in this case - setuphanging - which file's to read?

grep is your friend. In this case it hit cont-new.tex. But it will
vanish from there.

> So I don't have to post so many (unanswered) questions any more...

Posting ConTeXt questions is fun, so don't stop doing this.

Patrick
--
Silent is the goldfish in its bowl

* Re: Again: \indenting[*hang*] ?! + Re: critical editions in context
@ 2003-09-23 20:42     ` Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2003-09-23 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

>There's one command I have learnt during my first weeks with Context:
>
>grep -r "setuphanging" /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/
>[or whatever it is your looking for]
>
>It's fast and allows you to filter the source files you need to look at. They are surprisingly explicit and thus (at least in part) accessible even for computer illiterates like myself.
>
>Thomas

Hi Thomas,

thanks for the info - indeed a very useful command!

I also tried it on "page-nnt", "core-nnt" and "core-lnt" from todays answer on your critical edition thread (see below).

But although I have ConTeXt's latest beta installed there was nothing grep could find.

Do you have an idea where to find further information on this?

Steffen

P.S. When reading source:what does \c! or \v! mean?

>>"Thomas A.Schmitz" wrote:
>>
>> > In March/April 2002, Hans and Idris had an interesting exchange about
>> > the topic "critical editions in context" here in ntg-context; the main
>> > question was whether the functionality of edmac could be implemented in
>> > context. I'd be curious to know whether anything came out of it, I
>> > couldn't find any follow-up.
>>
>>Hans has already done some preliminary work in this direction. I could not
>>completely test it because the implementations used hooks from e-TeX. Now
>>that eOmega/Aleph is available I will be able to be a bit more proactive in
>>testing/suggesting things.
>>
>>I don't remember if Hans added the xperimental stuff for critical editions
>>to the latest beta. But I'm going to have to start testing this stuff soon,
>>because the next issue of our journal is supposed to have a couple of small
>>Arabic critical editions in it.
>
>if i'm right, you have somewhere:
>
>\input page-nnt
>\input core-nnt
>\input core-lnt
>
>(multiple footnote classes, arbitrary footnote placement, line refs in footnotes and so)
>
>Hans

* *-nnt, *-lnt, c!, v! and multi-lingual interface
@ 2003-09-23 21:25       ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-09-23 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

> I also tried it on "page-nnt", "core-nnt" and "core-lnt" from todays
> answer on your critical edition thread (see below).

> But although I have ConTeXt's latest beta installed there was
> nothing grep could find.

They are not in the distribution.

> P.S. When reading source:what does \c! or \v! mean?

see mult-ini.tex

Patrick
--

@ 2003-09-23 21:41   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-09-23 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 17:06 22/09/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>Steffen Wolfrum <wlfrm@estfiles.de> writes:
>
> > There is always another surprise in ConTexT. I mean:
> > How should I know?
>
>I didn't know either. :-)

well, it's one of the new things so you couldn't know (as with probab
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Re: Again: \indenting[*hang*] ?!
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-09-23 21:42   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-09-23 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 17:06 22/09/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>Steffen Wolfrum <wlfrm@estfiles.de> writes:
>
> > There is always another surprise in ConTexT. I mean:
> > How should I know?
>
>I didn't know either. :-)

so ... write a one page YourWay doc with experiences (using the portal) and
post it -)

Hans

@ 2003-09-24  7:31     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-09-24  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> writes:

Hi,

> so ... write a one page YourWay doc with experiences (using the
> portal) and post it -)

you mean that I should actually *use* ConTeXt? Not just playing with
it? Hmm, sounds ok to me.

Patrick
--
Silent is the goldfish in its bowl