* Parsing texexec output
@ 2006-11-06 22:48 Philipp Reichmuth
From: Philipp Reichmuth @ 2006-11-06 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I was fixing a bug in my AucTeX and found that at present it is
difficult to parse the output from texexec.  Basically Emacs runs
texexec in a buffer in --batchmode, then tries to parse the output
whether an error occurred and where.  Unfortunately with texexec I don't
get any error messages (besides the return code), so if something goes
wrong, the user only knows that something isn't right, but not what it
is.  (It also doesn't print page numbers, either.)  In comparison, LaTeX
when run in \nonstopmode prints the error message normally and continues
to process the file; that makes it easy to parse it, jump to the line
where the error was detected and even present the user with an
explanation of the error message.

In order to get similar features with ConTeXt, it would be nice if
texexec could be made to be a little bit more verbose in its --batchmode
output.  Is there a way to do this currently?

Philipp

* Re: Parsing texexec output
@ 2006-11-06 23:14 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-11-06 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 6 Nov 2006, Philipp Reichmuth wrote:

> In order to get similar features with ConTeXt, it would be nice if
> texexec could be made to be a little bit more verbose in its --batchmode
> output.  Is there a way to do this currently?

  texexec --nonstopmode

Another option, sometimes used by vim-latex suite is to add 'type
filename.log' or 'cat filename.log' at the end the command. The parser
will not know the difference.

Aditya

* Re: Parsing texexec output
@ 2006-11-06 23:23   ` Philipp Reichmuth
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Philipp Reichmuth @ 2006-11-06 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan schrieb:
>> In order to get similar features with ConTeXt, it would be nice if
>> texexec could be made to be a little bit more verbose in its --batchmode
>> output.  Is there a way to do this currently?
>
>   texexec --nonstopmode

Does the job, thanks.  AucTeX assumes
--passon="-interaction=nonstopmode", which doesn't work.

> Another option, sometimes used by vim-latex suite is to add 'type
> filename.log' or 'cat filename.log' at the end the command. The parser
> will not know the difference.

I had thought of that, but it spoils the return code, at least here on
Windows.

Philipp

* Re: Parsing texexec output
@ 2006-11-06 23:40     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-11-06 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Philipp Reichmuth wrote:
> Aditya Mahajan schrieb:
>
>>> In order to get similar features with ConTeXt, it would be nice if
>>> texexec could be made to be a little bit more verbose in its --batchmode
>>> output.  Is there a way to do this currently?
>>>
>>   texexec --nonstopmode
>>

> Does the job, thanks.  AucTeX assumes
> --passon="-interaction=nonstopmode", which doesn't work.
>

>> Another option, sometimes used by vim-latex suite is to add 'type
>> filename.log' or 'cat filename.log' at the end the command. The parser
>> will not know the difference.
>>

> I had thought of that, but it spoils the return code, at least here on
> Windows.

context mkiv provides an option to output xml to the log/terminal which is parsable

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Parsing texexec output
@ 2006-11-07  5:57     ` Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2006-11-07  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Does the job, thanks.  AucTeX assumes
> --passon="-interaction=nonstopmode", which doesn't work.

It worked with the perl (=older) texexec, but the ruby version doesn't
have a --passon switch.

-Sanjoy

`Never underestimate the evil of which men of power are capable.'
         --Bertrand Russell, _War Crimes in Vietnam_, chapter 1.

* Re: Parsing texexec output
@ 2006-11-07  7:55       ` Philipp Reichmuth
From: Philipp Reichmuth @ 2006-11-07  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sanjoy Mahajan schrieb:
>> Does the job, thanks.  AucTeX assumes
>> --passon="-interaction=nonstopmode", which doesn't work.
>
> It worked with the perl (=older) texexec, but the ruby version doesn't
> have a --passon switch.

I guess it would be best if it would be compatible with both versions.
I don't have the perl version around anymore; what happens if you pass
both --passon and --nonstopmode to it?

Philipp

* Re: Parsing texexec output
@ 2006-11-07  7:59       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-11-07  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:
>>Does the job, thanks.  AucTeX assumes
>>--passon="-interaction=nonstopmode", which doesn't work.
>

> It worked with the perl (=older) texexec, but the ruby version doesn't
> have a --passon switch.

We should get that back, in my opinion.

Taco

* Re: Parsing texexec output
@ 2006-11-11 22:27     ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2006-11-11 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 06/11/06, Philipp Reichmuth wrote:

>>   texexec --nonstopmode
>
> Does the job, thanks.  AucTeX assumes
> --passon="-interaction=nonstopmode", which doesn't work.

Is this a bug of AUCTeX? If so, could you report it to its developers?
Thanks.

--
Leo

* Re: Parsing texexec output
@ 2006-11-13 20:13       ` Philipp Reichmuth
From: Philipp Reichmuth @ 2006-11-13 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Leo schrieb:
> Is this a bug of AUCTeX? If so, could you report it to its developers?

I did post it on the mailing list some time ago with no reaction. I'll
probably post a patch with some smallish ConTeXt-related modifications
to AucTeX sometime over the near future.

Philipp

* Re: Parsing texexec output
@ 2006-11-14 16:28         ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2006-11-14 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 13/11/06, Philipp Reichmuth wrote:

> Leo schrieb:
>> Is this a bug of AUCTeX? If so, could you report it to its developers?
>
> I did post it on the mailing list some time ago with no reaction. I'll
> probably post a patch with some smallish ConTeXt-related modifications
> to AucTeX sometime over the near future.
>
> Philipp

Philipp,

Thanks a lot. I have seen in AUCTeX's mailing list and seems they need
people that understands ConTeXt well to help out. It is a pity AUCTeX
doesn't support ConTeXt as well as LaTeX.

Regards,
--
Leo

* Re: Parsing texexec output
@ 2006-11-23 16:18           ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2006-11-23 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

> Thanks a lot. I have seen in AUCTeX's mailing list and seems they need
> people that understands ConTeXt well to help out. It is a pity AUCTeX
> doesn't support ConTeXt as well as LaTeX.

Yes, please support AUCTeX/ConTeXt. I've switched to another text
editor (textmate on OS X - need to publish my bundle...) and I think
that Berend is busy or occupied or ...? So there is nobody that I know
of that is supporting the ConTeXt code. As far as I know the AUCTeX
maintainers are happy to get support.

Patrick
--
ConTeXt wiki and more: http://contextgarden.net