* Wrong text alignment within Context.
@ 2004-12-01 21:01 Dirar BOUGATEF
From: Dirar BOUGATEF @ 2004-12-01 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Am trying to control my text in order to appear right aligned. This is how
my text looks like after being typeset by context:

>From King's Officer to Consul, had he been born a year earlier, a certain
Napo-
leone Buonaparte (1769-1821) would not have been French, since his native
isle of Corsica was only annexed by France in 1768. Like all poor but gifted
no-
bles,  he attended a  military academy,  becoming an  officer  at  sixteen.
The
French  Revolution and wars favoured his swift promotion.

by age 24 he was a general, and swept from victory to victory in Italy and
Egypt, after a bold coup d'état he was proclaimed consul.

I don't understand why the last paragraph is typeset like this. There are
several paragraphs before which are typeset correctly. What can i do to
control this ?

Many thanks.

Dirar.

PS. As the text depends on some font i have, i can't provide an example that
could illustrate more than this (Typesetting changes according to font u use
..).

* Re: Wrong text alignment within Context.
@ 2004-12-01 21:58 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-12-01 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hellor Dirar,

> Am trying to control my text in order to appear right aligned. This is
> how my text looks like after being typeset by context:

What is your point? Does your text stick out to the right? Then play
with \setuptolerance. If not make an example....

> PS. As the text depends on some font i have, i can't provide an
> example that could illustrate more than this (Typesetting changes
> according to font u use ..).

... Oh, then perhaps you could try to make an example with the original
setup?

You could also try to make a small pdf file and if possible, put it on
the web somewhere.

Patrick
--
ConTeXt wiki: http://contextgarden.net

* Re: Wrong text alignment within Context.
@ 2004-12-03 10:24 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-12-03 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Dirar and others,

the sample pdf has the following problem:

             l’expression

th word(s) "l'expression" stick into the right margin. This is (I
guess) due to the following facts:

1) TeX will use the right margin for words if the other solution for a
   line breaking problem would be to stretch the innerword spacing.
   TeX has complicated rules for determining the "badness" of a
   solution, the badness of stretching in your case is obviously
   higher then the badness of sticking into the margin. You have to
   play with TeX's parameters to decrease the badness of interword
   spacing (but see also 2)). In your case you set \tolerance to 200,
   which is very intolerant :-) So, for an example, say \tolerance
   8000 (or use the ConTeXt way like \setuptolerance[verytolerant] --
   never do this in a real world text!). Then your text should
   look ugly again, but in another way. There are quite few parameters
   for interfering TeXs paragraph builder.

2) TeX should hyphenate the word "expression" in some way, but doesn't
   do it. I am not sure where the allowed breakpoints are, but you
   might want to tell TeX. Perhaps "expression" can be hyphenated but
   "l'expression" not. But I don't know what to do here, other french
   writers should help you with that problem. Use \showhypens{....} to
   find out about the hypenation places.

There is no magic to your problem :-)

Patrick
--