* \lowerleftdoubleninequote (German quotes)
@ 2005-05-04  9:07 Frank Grieshaber
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Frank Grieshaber @ 2005-05-04  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,
I want to use German double quotes for my text but noticed that the
beginning double quotation sign/glyph is somewhat corrupt: there is a
bigger distance between the two signs than is with the ending double
quote (which are typographically correct). To make this a bit clearer, I
have appended to this email an examle. If you look very carfully you can
see this effect already in the Context Manual, chapter 10.8 page 198
(\lowerleftdoubleninequote).

The Code of the appended pdf is the following:

\mainlanguage	[de]		rules, quote signs etc.

\starttext
Dies ist ein \quotation{Test}.
\stoptext

Has anybody noticed this error, or does anybody know a solution?

Thanks,
Frank

[-- Attachment #2: anfu.pdf --]

* Re: \lowerleftdoubleninequote (German quotes)
@ 2005-05-04 10:18 ` Adam Lindsay
From: Adam Lindsay @ 2005-05-04 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank Grieshaber said this at Wed, 4 May 2005 11:07:46 +0200:

>\mainlanguage	[de]		rules, quote signs etc.
>
>\starttext
>Dies ist ein \quotation{Test}.
>\stoptext
>
>Has anybody noticed this error, or does anybody know a solution?

Looks like an encoding problem, which, unfortunately, is tied up in the
version and Latin Modern font installation. I note that you're using CMR
in that file, which means that you're using the default encoding, which
means you're in effect typesetting a pair of commas.

Using the Latin Modern fonts means you're using one of the rich encodings
(e.g., EC or texnansi). Unfortunately, without knowing more about your
setup, I can't really advise on how to update to Latin Modern. (You
should upgrade to a modern ConTeXt release as well.)
 Adam T. Lindsay, Computing Dept.     atl@comp.lancs.ac.uk
 Lancaster University, InfoLab21        +44(0)1524/510.514
 Lancaster, LA1 4WA, UK             Fax:+44(0)1524/510.492

* Re: \lowerleftdoubleninequote (German quotes)
@ 2005-05-04 11:14 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2005-05-04 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

> beginning double quotation sign/glyph is somewhat corrupt: there is a
> bigger distance between the two signs than is with the ending double
> quote (which are typographically correct).

This is a known issue. CMR doesn't have real quotation marks and
ConTeXt doesn't work around this by using explicit kerning.

Solution is to use a different font. Or some magic that I don't know.

Patrick
--
ConTeXt wiki and more: http://contextgarden.net

* Re: \lowerleftdoubleninequote (German quotes)
@ 2005-05-04 22:16 ` Johannes Werner
From: Johannes Werner @ 2005-05-04 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

i noticed that error too, but don't know a solution.
shorter commands for the same glyphs are \quotedblleft and \quotedblbase
- first is ok, second not.
(tip: try \showcharacters if you are looking the most common symbols)

johannes