* \dosetupsystem   ????!
@ 2003-08-26 13:16 Matthew Huggett
From: Matthew Huggett @ 2003-08-26 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi:

Can anybody tell me what might cause this error:

> Runaway argument?
> \c!gebied ={\setupsystem [inputfile=rice.tex] \protect
> ! File ended while scanning use of \dosetupsystem.
> <inserted text>
>                 \par
> <to be read again>
>                    \relax
> \dodoreadfile ...normalinput \readfilename \relax
>                                                   \the
> \everyafterreadfile
> <everyjob> ...file \openutilities \loadoptionfile
>                                                   \checknotes
> \initializeMPg...

Everything was running smooth a few days ago.  Now every document I
process causes the same error.  What actions does \dosetupsystem carry out?

Thanks,

Matt

* Re: \dosetupsystem   ????!
@ 2003-08-26 16:55 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-08-26 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 22:16 26/08/2003 +0900, you wrote:
>Hi:
>
>Can anybody tell me what might cause this error:
>
>>Runaway argument?
>>\c!gebied ={\setupsystem [inputfile=rice.tex] \protect

               ^^^^ command                      ^^^^
strange

sounds like you set the directory string to some \setupsystem command, are
you sure that your file is ok?

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: \dosetupsystem   ????!
@ 2003-08-27  4:32   ` Matthew Huggett
From: Matthew Huggett @ 2003-08-27  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:

> sounds like you set the directory string to some \setupsystem command,
> are you sure that your file is ok?

I get the error even on a simple file like:

\setupoutput[pdftex]
\starttext
This is a test.
\stoptext

If I insert a } when tex reports the error, it runs to the end and
produces a good pdf.  However,
it does say "Don't change language in unprotected mode!"   My log file
is attached.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Matt

[-- Attachment #2: test.log --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 3548 bytes --]

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-1.00b-pretest-20020211-2.1 (Web2c 7.3.7x) (format=cont-en 2003.8.27)  27 AUG 2003 13:27
entering extended mode
**&cont-en test.tex
(./test.tex{c:/tex/texmf-var/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg}

ConTeXt  ver: 2003.8.21  fmt: 2003.8.27  int: english  mes: english

language       : language en is active
<protectionstate 0>
system         : cont-new loaded
(c:/tex/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-new.tex
systems        : beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.tex!
)
system         : cont-old loaded
(c:/tex/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-old.tex
)
system         : cont-fil loaded
(c:/tex/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-fil.tex
)
system         : cont-sys loaded
(c:/tex/texmf/tex/context/user/cont-sys.tex)
bodyfont       : 12pt rm is loaded
language       : patterns 2:2-en-2 loaded
specials       : tex,postscript,rokicki loaded
\openout2 = `test.tui'.

system         : test.top loaded
(./test.top)
Runaway argument?
\c!gebied ={\setupsystem [inputfile=test.tex] \protect
! File ended while scanning use of \dosetupsystem.
<inserted text>
                \par
<to be read again>
                   \relax
\dodoreadfile ...normalinput \readfilename \relax
                                                  \the \everyafterreadfile
<everyjob> ...file \openutilities \loadoptionfile
                                                  \checknotes \initializeMPg...
l.1
    \setupoutput[pdftex]
? i
insert>}
\openout0 = `test-mpgraph.mp'.

\openout0 = `test-mprun.mp'.

\openout0 = `mpgraph.mp'.

\openout0 = `mprun.mp'.

specials       : loading definition file tpd
(c:/tex/texmf/tex/context/base/spec-tpd.tex
specials       : loading definition file fdf
(c:/tex/texmf/tex/context/base/spec-fdf.tex <unprotect 3> <unprotect 4>
system (E-TEX) : [line 1907] \ifcsname
<protect 4> <protect 3>)
specials       : fdf loaded
<unprotect 3> <protect 3>)
specials       : fdf,tpd loaded
systems        : don't change language in unprotected mode!
pdftex         : using map file: original-context-symbol.map
pdftex         : using map file: pl0-ams-cmr.map
pdftex         : using map file: original-vogel-symbol.map
systems        : begin file test at line 2
[1.1{c:/tex/texmf-var/dvips/config/pdftex.map
Warning: pdfetex.exe (file c:/tex/texmf-var/dvips/config/pdftex.map): entry for
 `cmssbxo10' already exists, duplicates ignored
}{c:/tex/texmf/pdftex/config/context/original-context-symbol.map
Warning: pdfetex.exe (file c:/tex/texmf/pdftex/config/context/original-context-
symbol.map): entry for `contnav' already exists, duplicates ignored
}{c:/tex/texmf/pdftex/config/context/pl0-ams-cmr.map}{c:/tex/texmf/pdftex/confi
g/context/original-vogel-symbol.map
Warning: pdfetex.exe (file c:/tex/texmf/pdftex/config/context/original-vogel-sy
mbol.map): entry for `fmvr8x' already exists, duplicates ignored
}]
systems        : end file test at line 6
 )
Here is how much of TeX's memory you used:
 777 strings out of 33069
 11779 string characters out of 745237
 4414755 words of memory out of 5520935
 31128 multiletter control sequences out of 10000+50000
 10284 words of font info for 34 fonts, out of 500000 for 1000
 14 hyphenation exceptions out of 1000
 45i,16n,49p,166b,246s stack positions out of 5000i,500n,5000p,200000b,40000s
 7 PDF objects out of 300000
 0 named destinations out of 131072
 0 words of extra memory for PDF output out of 65536
<c:/tex/texmf/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmr12.pfb>
Output written on test.pdf (1 page, 4750 bytes).

* Re: \dosetupsystem   ????!
@ 2003-08-27  6:11     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-08-27  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 13:32 27/08/2003 +0900, you wrote:
>Hans Hagen wrote:
>

>>sounds like you set the directory string to some \setupsystem command,
>>are you sure that your file is ok?
>I get the error even on a simple file like:
>
>\setupoutput[pdftex]
>\starttext
>This is a test.
>\stoptext
>
>If I insert a } when tex reports the error, it runs to the end and
>produces a good pdf.  However,
>it does say "Don't change language in unprotected mode!"   My log file is
>attached.

>(./test.top)

it seems that something is happening in the top file (the option file
writtemn by texexec); did you change something in texexec.ini? is there
some magic in your local cont-sys.tex? can you grep you system for
{\setupsystem ?

@ 2003-08-28  2:55       ` Matthew Huggett
From: Matthew Huggett @ 2003-08-28  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hans>>
> it seems that something is happening in the top file (the option file
> writtemn by texexec); did you change something in texexec.ini? is
> there some magic in your local cont-sys.tex? can you grep you system
> for {\setupsystem ?

Hans,

Is texexec in any way influenced by OS environment variables?  The
warning "Don't change language in unprotected mode" in my log file
caught my attention because a few days ago I added an environment
variable LANG =en to my system (my OS not TeX).    When I deleted this
variable, texexec went back to running without any trouble.  The error
can't have been caused by any customizations in my texexec.ini or
cont-sys.tex because even when I re-installed TexLive from scratch and
didn't setup those files, texexec still ran into trouble in the top file
with \setupsystem.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Matt

* Re: \dosetupsystem   ????!
@ 2003-08-28  8:46         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-08-28  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 11:55 28/08/2003 +0900, you wrote:

>>Hans>>
>>it seems that something is happening in the top file (the option file
>>writtemn by texexec); did you change something in texexec.ini? is there
>>some magic in your local cont-sys.tex? can you grep you system for
>>{\setupsystem ?
>
>Hans,
>
>Is texexec in any way influenced by OS environment variables?  The warning
>"Don't change language in unprotected mode" in my log file caught my
>attention because a few days ago I added an environment variable LANG =en
>to my system (my OS not TeX).    When I deleted this variable, texexec
>went back to running without any trouble.  The error can't have been
>caused by any customizations in my texexec.ini or cont-sys.tex because
>even when I re-installed TexLive from scratch and didn't setup those
>files, texexec still ran into trouble in the top file with \setupsystem.

Don't change ... is generated when an \unprotect has no matching \protect
which can be dabgerous for esp french (active : and so).

Texexec is not influenced by env vars; how does your jobname.tmp (afte a
texexec run) looks (this is the saved options file).

@ 2003-08-28 11:32           ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-08-28 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> writes:

> Texexec is not influenced by env vars

But TeX is. I once had trouble with 8bit characters; TeX was looking
for the locale setting. But that is the only thing I know about.

Patrick
--
Silent is the goldfish in its bowl