* new stuff for brave users
@ 2004-08-04  9:01 Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-08-04  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear ConTeXt users,

I have started another service. Please note that this is not finished
yet and might change or get out of service once in a while (I have no
experience with such a service). You can process your ConTeXt
documents online. Just point your browser to

http://live.contextgarden.net

and type in your favourite ConTeXt document. Click on "typeset" and
you will be able to donwload the pdf file. Please report any errors
to me!

And again: this service is still some kind of "beta".

Patrick
--
ConTeXt wiki: http://contextgarden.net
texshow-web:  http://texshow.contextgarden.net

* Re: new stuff for brave users
@ 2004-08-04  9:31 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-08-04  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

> http://live.contextgarden.net

one thing to add: I'd appreciate any kind of comments, since I have
only tested it with safari and old versions of mozilla. If you think
that there is anything strange, don't hesitate to tell me! And don't
rely on your impression that others will do so, so there would no
need for feedback.

Patrick
--
ConTeXt wiki: http://contextgarden.net
texshow-web:  http://texshow.contextgarden.net

* Re: Re: new stuff for brave users
@ 2004-08-04  9:55   ` Vit Zyka
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Vit Zyka @ 2004-08-04  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>http://live.contextgarden.net
>
> one thing to add: I'd appreciate any kind of comments, since I have
> only tested it with safari and old versions of mozilla. If you think
> that there is anything strange, don't hesitate to tell me! And don't
> rely on your impression that others will do so, so there would no
> need for feedback.
>
> Patrick

Hmmm. Contextgarden with texshow are great ideas and tools for making
usage of ConTeXt easier. So I desided to fill some contents occasionally.

Two weeks ago and again two days ago I asked Patrick what to do if I
want to write some macro description but the macro is not present in
texshow. But no response I have received yet. So the above Patrick's
annoucement is a bit funny for me ;-)

OK, I ask here in the list again, see bellow.

Cheers
Vit Zyka

 > Hallo Patrick,

 > i have noticed that the next group of macros is missing in the
 > texshow-web:

 > \definelayer[name][...,=,...]
 > \setlayer[name][...,=,...]{text}

 > Can you add them, please? Or there is another way how to do it?

* Re: new stuff for brave users
@ 2004-08-04 10:03     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-08-04 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Vit,

> Two weeks ago and again two days ago I asked Patrick what to do if I
> want to write some macro description but the macro is not present in
> texshow. But no response I have received yet. So the above Patrick's
> annoucement is a bit funny for me ;-)
>
> OK, I ask here in the list again, see bellow.

Well, I have receieved your message, but was too busy on
context-live. Your message is still in my inbox and I will work on
texshow-web this week. Your suggestion is not that trivial, since I
have an automatic update scheme that is not able to look at new
entries. I will have to extend the program and do some testing.
 Sorry for the delay!

Patrick

--

@ 2004-08-04 10:06     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-08-04 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vit Zyka wrote:

> > i have noticed that the next group of macros is missing in the
> > texshow-web:
>
> > \definelayer[name][...,=,...]
> > \setlayer[name][...,=,...]{text}
>
> > Can you add them, please? Or there is another way how to do it?

i have to do that to the main file; since layers are relatively new i didn't do it yet, but i'll put it on my todo list -)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2004-08-04 10:12     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2004-08-04 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Two weeks ago and again two days ago I asked Patrick what to do if I
> want to write some macro description but the macro is not present in
> texshow. But no response I have received yet. So the above Patrick's
> annoucement is a bit funny for me ;-)

This also raises another problem: what to do if the syntax definition is wrong?

The very first definition is wrong: \about's syntax  is
	\about [ref]
not
	\about {text} [ref]

I fixed that in the garden, but will that new definition be destroyed at the
next automatic update? (my change also didn't update the display, btw.)

--
groeten,

Taco

* Re: Re: new stuff for brave users
@ 2004-08-04 10:13   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2004-08-04 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>http://live.contextgarden.net
>
> one thing to add: I'd appreciate any kind of comments, since I have
> only tested it with safari and old versions of mozilla. If you think
> that there is anything strange, don't hesitate to tell me! And don't
> rely on your impression that others will do so, so there would no
> need for feedback.
>
> Patrick

Here is what I wrote yesterday, but haven't sent yet :)
Did I send this accidentaly ? :) :) :)

It's a great service, it would just make sense to connect the wiki and
code rendering, so that the code written would be automatically
"copy-pasted" in the window (or any other mechanism to enable quick
acces to the documents described in wiki).

Well done again,
	Mojca Miklavec

***   ***   ***   ***   ***

1.) WIKI

1.1.) It would make sense to add a link to CenTeXt wiki from
www.pragma-ade.com

1.2.) http://www.mayer.dial.pipex.com/latexrender.zip
is an example of a tool which (as long as I have seen and understood it
correctly) does nothing else but wrapping a (LaTeX) code, executing it
and cropping the relevant part into PNG image. There are already modules
for PHPBB and wiki. I guess it wouldn't take so much additional effort
to enable some excelent feature to both the ConTeXt and texshow wiki:
* rendering image as an example of the effect of the code written there

For example, if someone would write:
    [context]
    a couple of lines of context code
    [/context]

it would be shown as the code as well as a PNG image showing the result
and perhaps an additional link to the PDF document rendered.

* texshow-web
@ 2004-08-04 10:21       ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-08-04 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Taco,

> This also raises another problem: what to do if the syntax
>definition is wrong?
>
> The very first definition is wrong: \about's syntax  is
> 	\about [ref]
> not
> 	\about {text} [ref]
>
> I fixed that in the garden, but will that new definition be destroyed at the
> next automatic update?

No, it won't. If it does, it it clearly an error. (I was a bit lying,
the update is semi automatic, my script gives me the choice of using
the changed entry on the webserver or the new one in cont-en.xml).

> (my change also didn't update the display, btw.)

This is clearly an error that should not happen. I'll look into it
this week.

Thanks for the report.

Patrick
--

@ 2004-08-04 10:42       ` Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2004-08-04 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick Gundlach wrote:

> Hello Vit,
>
> Well, I have receieved your message, but was too busy on
> context-live. Your message is still in my inbox and I will work on
> texshow-web this week. Your suggestion is not that trivial, since I
 > Patrick

All right, I understand that.

 > > \definelayer[name][...,=,...]
 > > \setlayer[name][...,=,...]{text}
 >
 > > Can you add them, please? Or there is another way how to do it?

 > i have to do that to the main file; since layers are relatively new i
 > didn't do it yet, but i'll put it on my todo list -)
 > Hans

Great!
Vit

* Re: Re: new stuff for brave users
@ 2004-08-04 10:57       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-08-04 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

>>Two weeks ago and again two days ago I asked Patrick what to do if I
>>want to write some macro description but the macro is not present in
>>texshow. But no response I have received yet. So the above Patrick's
>>annoucement is a bit funny for me ;-)
>>

>This also raises another problem: what to do if the syntax definition is wrong?
>
>The very first definition is wrong: \about's syntax  is
>	\about [ref]
>not
>	\about {text} [ref]
>
>I fixed that in the garden, but will that new definition be destroyed at the
>next automatic update? (my change also didn't update the display, btw.)

best send such patches to me, or maybe collect them as comment so that they can be fed back to me

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: new stuff for brave users
@ 2004-08-04 11:06         ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-08-04 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

>>I fixed that in the garden, but will that new definition be destroyed at the
>>next automatic update? (my change also didn't update the display, btw.)
>>
> best send such patches to me, or maybe collect them as comment so that
> they can be fed back to me  Hans

I collect all the changes in texshow-web and could notify you once in
a while of the differences between the current cont-en.xml and
texshow-web.

Patrick
--

@ 2004-08-04 11:17     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-08-04 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Mojca,

> Here is what I wrote yesterday, but haven't sent yet :)
> Did I send this accidentaly ? :) :) :)

No, but my looking-forward-in-time-gadget sent me a copy of your
message ;-)

> It's a great service, it would just make sense to connect the wiki and
> code rendering, so that the code written would be automatically
> "copy-pasted" in the window (or any other mechanism to enable quick
> acces to the documents described in wiki).

Yes, I was already thinking about that (if I am right, then the
live... service was mainly for interactive content generation from
the wiki). But I am not sure yet what and how should be done.

> Well done again,

thanks!

> * rendering image as an example of the effect of the code written there
>
> For example, if someone would write:
>     [context]
>     a couple of lines of context code
>     [/context]

yes, this is a good idea. I have also thougth about sth. like
<texcommand>\setupframe</texcommand>  that links to texshow-web and
presents the syntax definition.

Patrick
--

@ 2004-08-04 11:34 ` Floris van Manen
From: Floris van Manen @ 2004-08-04 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick,

just gave the context service a try.
concerning the UI i aks myself why i get default the logfile opened in
a separate window and that i have to explicitly open the pdf file to
see the result of what the action is all about in the first place :-)

i would opt for a better 'result-ready' flag (e.g. providing the link
to the result) instead of opening a log file that is of not too much
interest when everything went OK.

typeset
if error then show (link) to log file and not to a (non-existing pdf)
else provide links to pdf result and logfile

also maybe more convenient to keep the typeset and reset buttons to
the top (as well) close to the links of the (possible) result files.

//Floris

* Re: new stuff for brave users
@ 2004-08-04 12:24   ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2004-08-04 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Floris van Manen wrote:

>i would opt for a better 'result-ready' flag (e.g. providing the link
>to the result) instead of opening a log file that is of not too much
>interest when everything went OK.

How about something like that:

Show an intermediate page with a reload HTTP header which calls itself
repeatedly
a) If the PDF file exists redirect to the PDF page
b) If no PDF exists but the texexec has ended, redirect to the logfile

Maybe some option "[ ] don't load PDF file automatically", which shows a
page where I can choose between PDF file and logfile, might be useful too.

The redirect should not use http-equiv but the real HTTP header.

Instead of reloading, you may also try Serverpush:

# Use server push to display a "Please wait..." message for the user while
# executing their query if their browser supports it and they are viewing
# the bug list as HTML and they have not disabled it by adding &serverpush=0
# to the URL.
#
# Server push is a Netscape 3+ hack incompatible with MSIE, Lynx, and
others.
# Even Communicator 4.51 has bugs with it, especially during page reload.
# http://www.browsercaps.org used as source of compatible browsers.
#
my $serverpush =
  $format->{'extension'} eq "html"
    && exists $ENV{'HTTP_USER_AGENT'}
      && $ENV{'HTTP_USER_AGENT'} =~ /Mozilla.[3-9]/
        && $ENV{'HTTP_USER_AGENT'} !~ /[Cc]ompatible/
          && $ENV{'HTTP_USER_AGENT'} !~ /WebKit/
            && !defined($::FORM{'serverpush'})
              || $::FORM{'serverpush'};

if ($serverpush) {
    print $cgi->multipart_start();
    # Generate and return the UI (HTML page) from the appropriate template.
    $template->process("list/server-push.html.tmpl", $vars)
    print $cgi->multipart_end();
    print $cgi->multipart_start(-type=>$contenttype);
}

#Generate normal content
print $cgi->multipart_final() if $serverpush;

Tobias

* Re: new stuff for brave users
@ 2004-08-26  9:43     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-08-26  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Tobias, Floris and others,

[live.contextgarden.net]

>>i would opt for a better 'result-ready' flag (e.g. providing the link
>>to the result) instead of opening a log file that is of not too much
>>interest when everything went OK.
>>
> How about something like that:
>
> Show an intermediate page with a reload HTTP header which calls itself
> repeatedly
> a) If the PDF file exists redirect to the PDF page
> b) If no PDF exists but the texexec has ended, redirect to the logfile

which would be the same as just waiting for the texexec job to finish
and then finish loading the website.

> The redirect should not use http-equiv but the real HTTP header.

But, as far as I can see, the user would see an empty page until
texexec stops (perhaps depending on the browser).

> Instead of reloading, you may also try Serverpush:

yuck, this looks very evil to me.

What I try to achieve is to be able to use the live... without
javascript. And I still haven't found a good way of doing so. I'll
stop the popup with the output, and I think I will wait for the
website to load until the texexec jobs finishes.

Patrick (thanks also for all the other suggestions)
--

@ 2004-09-10  9:16     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-09-10  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

[...]

> 1.) WIKI

[...]

> 1.2.) http://www.mayer.dial.pipex.com/latexrender.zip
> is an example of a tool which (as long as I have seen and understood it
> correctly) does nothing else but wrapping a (LaTeX) code, executing it
> and cropping the relevant part into PNG image. There are already modules
> for PHPBB and wiki. I guess it wouldn't take so much additional effort
> to enable some excelent feature to both the ConTeXt and texshow wiki:
> * rendering image as an example of the effect of the code written there
>
> For example, if someone would write:
>     [context]
>     a couple of lines of context code
>     [/context]

This is now possible. So you can (for example) write

<context>
\setupcolors [state=start]
\framed [background=color,
         backgroundcolor=green,
         offset=1cm ]{hello world!}
</context>

and guess what happens: it will display a black frame with green
content and "hello world!" centered in it.

I have not looked closely at latexrenderer though.

Patrick