It reminds me of a situation I'm now in. There is a document that uses metapost to typeset text on top of another metapost image (using plain tex--I did this project before I started using context). I'm using the cmtt10 font so that I can count on some relation between the length of the text and the space it will require, and I'm handling line-breaking manually (with perl). Now the users would like a bolder font. I don't see a cmttbx10 or anything. I know that there is much more to fonts than I now know. I hear people talking about virtual fonts and all kinds of stuff. Maybe I could get a bolder teletype font by learning more about fonts in general. How could I learn about ways to use other (preferably free) fonts with TeX in such a way that I'll also be able to apply this new learning to context, which I'm moving toward more and more? -- --Ed Cashin ecashin@coe.uga.edu