* different page numbers for doc parts
@ 1999-09-11  1:52 Ed L. Cashin
From: Ed L. Cashin @ 1999-09-11  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am having trouble figuring out how to switch pagenumbering in the
middle of a document, e.g., having different styles of pagenumbering
for frontmatter and bodymatter.

I'd like to have lowercase roman numerals for the frontmatter page
numbers, and then reset the page numbering to one, using arabic page
numbers for the bodymatter.  I'm having trouble getting \page[1] or
\setuppagenumber[number=1] to reset the page number to one also.

--
--Ed Cashin
  ecashin@coe.uga.edu

* RE: different page numbers for doc parts
@ 1999-09-11  6:43 ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 1999-09-11  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I am having trouble figuring out how to switch pagenumbering in the
> middle of a document, e.g., having different styles of pagenumbering
> for frontmatter and bodymatter.

\startfrontmatter

\setupnumbering[conversion=romannumerals]
\setuppagenumber[number=1]

\startbodymatter

\setupnumbering[conversion=numbers]
\setuppagenumber[number=1]

(translated from dutch, not tested).

Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

@ 1999-09-11 18:31   ` Ed L. Cashin
From: Ed L. Cashin @ 1999-09-11 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

For me, this text results in two pages.  The first has arabic 1
centered at the top, and the second has arabic 2 centered at the top,
contrary to what I'd expect.

I don't know if it matters, but this is how I'm processing it:

# makefile
DOC	 = berend

$(DOC).pdf	 : $(DOC).tex
	texexec --interface=en --pdf $(DOC) < /dev/null

% From berend@pobox.com Sat Sep 11 14:14:35 1999
% Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 08:43:10 +0200
% From: Berend de Boer <berend@pobox.com>
% To: ntg-context@ntg.nl
% Subject: RE: different page numbers for doc parts
%
%     [The following text is in the "iso-8859-1" character set]
%     [Your display is set for the "US-ASCII" character set]
%     [Some characters may be displayed incorrectly]
%
% > I am having trouble figuring out how to switch pagenumbering in the
% > middle of a document, e.g., having different styles of pagenumbering
% > for frontmatter and bodymatter.

\starttext

\startfrontmatter

\setupnumbering[conversion=romannumerals]
\setuppagenumber[number=1]
hi.  i am in the front.

\startbodymatter

\setupnumbering[conversion=numbers]
\setuppagenumber[number=1]
hi.  i am from the body.

\stoptext

%
% > I am having trouble figuring out how to switch pagenumbering in the
% > middle of a document, e.g., having different styles of pagenumbering
% > for frontmatter and bodymatter.
% >
% > I'd like to have lowercase roman numerals for the frontmatter page
% > numbers, and then reset the page numbering to one, using arabic page
% > numbers for the bodymatter.  I'm having trouble getting \page[1] or
% > \setuppagenumber[number=1] to reset the page number to one also.
% >
% > --
% > --Ed Cashin
% >   ecashin@coe.uga.edu
% >

@ 1999-09-11 19:02     ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 1999-09-11 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> For me, this text results in two pages.  The first has arabic 1
> centered at the top, and the second has arabic 2 centered at the top,
> contrary to what I'd expect.

I see, well the problem is my translation I suppose. I don't know how to fix
it. Even the number change doesn't work, so I have no idea what's wrong.

This is the dutch variant, and works fine (but that's little help for you):

---------------------------------
\starttekst

\startinleidingen

\stelpaginanummerin[nummer=1]

Test 1.

\stopinleidingen

\starthoofdteksten

\stelpaginanummerin[nummer=1]

Test 2.

\stophoofdteksten

\stoptekst
---------------------------------

Maybe someone can comeup with the correct translation?

Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* Re: different page numbers for doc parts
@ 1999-09-11 23:13 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-09-11 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ed L. Cashin" wrote:

> I am having trouble figuring out how to switch pagenumbering in the
> middle of a document, e.g., having different styles of pagenumbering
> for frontmatter and bodymatter.

Ha, this is a bug, but only in english. Something I overlooked when I
started supporting multiple interfaces. You can add this to (if absent,
make it) cont-new.tex:

\unprotect

\def\dostelpaginanummerin[#1]%
  {\getparameters
     [\??pn]
     [\c!status=\v!start,
      \c!nummer=,
      #1]%
   \doifsomething{\@@pnnummer}
     {\setnummer[\s!page]{\@@pnnummer}%
      \setuserpageno{\ruwenummer[\s!page]}}}

\protect

(Some day soon the whole low level of context will be english, already
runs experimentally.)

> I'd like to have lowercase roman numerals for the frontmatter page
> numbers, and then reset the page numbering to one, using arabic page
> numbers for the bodymatter.  I'm having trouble getting \page[1] or
> \setuppagenumber[number=1] to reset the page number to one also.

Berend is right: \setuppagenumbering[conversion=romannumerals]

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: different page numbers for doc parts
@ 1999-09-11 23:16   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-09-11 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Berend de Boer wrote:

> > I am having trouble figuring out how to switch pagenumbering in the
> > middle of a document, e.g., having different styles of pagenumbering
> > for frontmatter and bodymatter.
>
> \startfrontmatter
>
> \setupnumbering[conversion=romannumerals]
  \setuppagenumbering

> \setuppagenumber[number=1]
>
> \startbodymatter
>
> \setupnumbering[conversion=numbers]
  \setuppagenumbering

> \setuppagenumber[number=1]

Some day soon I will add support for specific settings for the
'sectionblocks'. This is needed for proper separation of layout defs and
content.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: different page numbers for doc parts
@ 1999-09-12  7:13       ` Ed L. Cashin
From: Ed L. Cashin @ 1999-09-12  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Berend de Boer <berend@pobox.com> writes:

> \stelpaginanummerin[nummer=1]
> Maybe someone can comeup with the correct translation?

I have been using "mult-com.tex" as a rosetta stone for translating
from Dutch to English, and from what I see there it looks like your
translation should work maybe it's something else.  I noticed that in
"pages.tex", one of the third-party example files, the command
"\setuppagenumber[number=25]" doesn't work; it doesn't set the page
number to 25, so it must be some other problem.

--

@ 1999-09-12  8:25         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-09-12  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Berend de Boer, ntg-context

Hi Ed,

> "\setuppagenumber[number=25]" doesn't work; it doesn't set the page
> number to 25, so it must be some other problem.

It was a bug (see previous mail for patch). In most cases I use the
dutch interface here, so such problems don't surface here. Given the
rather strange use of system constants in the old macro, I suppose this
was one of the few interface dependant bugs left. In the process of
translating the reference manual I check most macros on behaviour. I
have colected (thanks to all who sent those) some remarks on the
beginners manual (typo's, errors) and will spend a day on redoing
manuals as soon as possible.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: different page numbers for doc parts
@ 1999-09-13  2:23   ` Ed L. Cashin
From: Ed L. Cashin @ 1999-09-13  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> writes:

> Ha, this is a bug, but only in english. Something I overlooked when
> I started supporting multiple interfaces. You can add this to (if
> absent, make it) cont-new.tex:
>
> \unprotect
>
> \def\dostelpaginanummerin[#1]%
>   {\getparameters
>      [\??pn]
>      [\c!status=\v!start,
>       \c!nummer=,
>       #1]%
>    \doifsomething{\@@pnnummer}
>      {\setnummer[\s!page]{\@@pnnummer}%
>       \setuserpageno{\ruwenummer[\s!page]}}}
>
> \protect

Hmm.  I cut and pasted the above code into the existing cont-new.tex
and tried the same code:

    \starttext

    \startfrontmatter

    \setupnumbering[conversion=romannumerals]
    \setuppagenumber[number=1]
    hi.  i am in the front.

    \startbodymatter

    \setupnumbering[conversion=numbers]
    \setuppagenumber[number=1]
    hi.  i am from the body.

    \stoptext

... but the resulting document still has consecutive arabic numerals 1
and 2 at the top of the two pages.  cont-new.tex is getting loaded,
though.

--

@ 1999-09-13  7:38     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-09-13  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ed L. Cashin" wrote:

>     \setupnumbering[conversion=romannumerals]
      \setuppagenumbering

> ... but the resulting document still has consecutive arabic numerals 1
> and 2 at the top of the two pages.  cont-new.tex is getting loaded,

\setupnumbering influences numbering of formulas, floats, descriptions,
etc. while \setuppagenumbering influences the pagenumber.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: different page numbers for doc parts
@ 1999-09-13 14:13       ` Ed L. Cashin
From: Ed L. Cashin @ 1999-09-13 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> writes:

> "Ed L. Cashin" wrote:
>
> >     \setupnumbering[conversion=romannumerals]
>       \setuppagenumbering
>
> > ... but the resulting document still has consecutive arabic numerals 1
> > and 2 at the top of the two pages.  cont-new.tex is getting loaded,
>
> \setupnumbering influences numbering of formulas, floats, descriptions,
> etc. while \setuppagenumbering influences the pagenumber.

Whoo!  Thanks--that works.  I guess I have a blindspot such that
\setupnumbering looks the same as \setuppagenumbering.

--
--Ed Cashin
  ecashin@coe.uga.edu