* fast texshow!
@ 2001-10-30  5:10 Ed L Cashin
From: Ed L Cashin @ 2001-10-30  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey, I just installed the latest ConTeXt, and texshow is quite
responsive!  That's great.  :)

--
--Ed Cashin                   PGP public key:
  ecashin@terry.uga.edu       http://www.terry.uga.edu/~ecashin/pgp/

* Re: fast texshow!
@ 2001-10-30  8:25 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2001-10-30  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

The only reason I can think of: You accidentally installed a new CPU as well? :)

Seriously, which context? My texshow still is version 0.1 (1999) and just as slow as before. And I thought I *had* the latest context...

--
groeten,

Taco

* Re: fast texshow!
@ 2001-10-30 12:25   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-10-30 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Ed L Cashin, ntg-context

At 09:25 AM 10/30/2001 +0100, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

>The only reason I can think of: You accidentally installed a new CPU as
>well? :)
>
>Seriously, which context? My texshow still is version 0.1 (1999) and just
>as slow as before. And I thought I *had* the latest context...
>
>"Ed L Cashin" <ecashin@terry.uga.edu> wrote:
> > Hey, I just installed the latest ConTeXt, and texshow is quite
> > responsive!  That's great.  :)

Somehow texshow is not that slow here -) anyway, i still have to bring in
some patches that taco sent me (sigh, i also have to patch texutil, texexec
etc for other interesting patches, time ...)

I now have a file setupe.tex that, when processed, generates an xml
representation of the interface. So if someone sees a challenge for making
an emacs context mode based on that ... when i've finished the manuals we
can start annotating the interface (pending project)

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: fast texshow!
@ 2001-10-30 16:09   ` Ed L Cashin
From: Ed L Cashin @ 2001-10-30 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> writes:

> The only reason I can think of: You accidentally installed a new CPU
> as well? :)

Hmm.  The change was so dramatic that I thought it had to be texshow
itself.  The difference in the system is that I've switched to
FreeBSD-4.4-STABLE from RedHat.

> Seriously, which context? My texshow still is version 0.1 (1999) and
> just as slow as before. And I thought I *had* the latest context...

I'm not at home, so I can't check right now, but it was the beta from
the ntg mirror, downloaded a couple of days ago.

--

@ 2001-10-31  8:58     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2001-10-31  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

"Ed L Cashin" <ecashin@terry.uga.edu> wrote:
> Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> writes:
>
> > The only reason I can think of: You accidentally installed a new CPU
> > as well? :)
>
> Hmm.  The change was so dramatic that I thought it had to be texshow
> itself.  The difference in the system is that I've switched to
> FreeBSD-4.4-STABLE from RedHat.

Probably a version of Tk with different defaults then. :)

--
groeten,

Taco

* Re: fast texshow!
@ 2001-10-31 16:17       ` Ed L Cashin
From: Ed L Cashin @ 2001-10-31 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> writes:

> "Ed L Cashin" <ecashin@terry.uga.edu> wrote:
> > Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> writes:
> >
> > > The only reason I can think of: You accidentally installed a new CPU
> > > as well? :)
> >
> > Hmm.  The change was so dramatic that I thought it had to be texshow
> > itself.  The difference in the system is that I've switched to
> > FreeBSD-4.4-STABLE from RedHat.
>
> Probably a version of Tk with different defaults then. :)

Whatever it is, it's an impressive difference.  I'd guess it's a
couple orders of magnitude more responsive now.