From: Ed L Cashin <ecashin@coe.uga.edu>
Cc: "Christopher G D Tipper" <ctipper@hol.gr>, ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: Animated gif
Date: 14 Jun 2000 09:11:34 -0400	[thread overview]

Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> writes:

> At 02:30 PM 6/12/2000 +0300, you wrote:
> >I was interested in this also, especially after reading up-001-s.pdf.
> Would it be possible to set up an endless loop with javascript that cycled
> through a list of figures? Does javascript provide a timing mechanism? It
> would make rather large PDFs, but it would be a nice thing to be able to
> demonstrate.
>
> You can ask for the time, and even do things with it, but since such a loop
> cannot be interrupted, it is useless (I tried all kind of things and wasted
> a day). What is needed is an (event) interruptable timer.
>
> Hans
>
> PS. Someone should make a java (or perl) plug in. Seems possible.

Could you elaborate a bit?  You have mentioned that as a desirable
thing before, but how would it work, what would it do, and how would
one go about writing such a plugin?

I especially don't understand how there could be a perl plugin for the
Acrobat Reader -- I remember reading about "Penguin", which was
supposed to allow for safe execution of untrusted perl code in a
"sandbox", along the lines of what's possible in Java, but wouldn't
the Reader have to come with a perl interpreter and it's own perl
sandbox already configured and ready for plugins?

--
--Ed Cashin                     PGP public key:
  ecashin@coe.uga.edu           http://www.coe.uga.edu/~ecashin/pgp/