From: ecashin@coe.uga.edu (Ed L. Cashin)
Cc: Marc van Dongen <dongen@cs.ucc.ie>, ConTeXt <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
Subject: Re: Using existing tex styles
Date: 05 Nov 1999 09:52:27 -0500	[thread overview]

Maarten Wisse <pmwisse@hetnet.nl> writes:

> Marc van Dongen wrote:
>
> > Also I had problems installing (I am using TeTeX 1.0)
> > which runs without problems. I have tried to install
> > ConTeX properly for about three times and then gave up.
> >
> > What didn't seem to work was that I to comlete
> > the ``texec --make uk en'' command. This failed over and
> > over again. I followed the instructions in
> >   - How to install ConTEXt and
> >   - TeXEXEC explained;
> > Is this a known problem?

You should check out the teTeX mailing list.  (See
http://www.tug.org/tetex/) They can help you configure teTeX to work
with ConTeXt.  I've been doing it a lot recently, but it matters where
you got the teTeX.  If it's rpms, you'll need all the tetex rpms that
you can get.  If it's source, you will be OK.

When I install tetex, I have to generate the formats for context.  To
do that, you can run texconfig as root and select "formats" from the
menu.  texconfig will launch your $EDITOR on the fmtutil.cnf file, and
you can uncomment the lines for context.  They're the lines that start
with "cont-".  When you exit the editor, texconfig will generate the
context formats.

If you have more trouble, including the error messages that you get in
the posts to the tetex mailing list will help other people to know
what's going wrong.

> I have exactly the same problem, trying to install the Context version
> of the pragma-ade site into my teTeX 0.99 version. I've unpacked the
> files in /usr/local/share/texmf, and I try to make the format nl but I
> get that the format is not available. A second problem I have is that my
> tex-installation does not have pdfetex installed. Is there any
> possibility to use the current Context version on teTeX 0.99? By the
> way: the install problems I now have are the same as those I had
> yesterday, trying to install Context into my TeX Live 4 installation.
> Same message. Kpsewhich doesn't complain: cont-nl.tex is present.
>
> > At the moment it doesn't seem to bother a lot because
> > ConTEXt does seem to work.
>
> I would be happy if that was true in my case too, but it is not. Nothing
> happens apart from complaining about missing format files. Of course,
> because I didn't make them.
> I hope the experts will provide some help. Thanks in advance.

I don't know (not an expert), when I get a fresh tetex 1.0, either
from rpms or source, all I have to do is generate the context formats,
and things work fine.  pdfetex is there, etc.

--
--Ed Cashin                     PGP public key:
  ecashin@coe.uga.edu           http://www.coe.uga.edu/~ecashin/pgp/