* chess
@ 2001-02-19 17:24 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-02-19 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone know a free chess font in type 1 format?

Hans
                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: chess
@ 2001-02-19 18:03 ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2001-02-19 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

I do know there's a lot of chess fonts at

http://www.chessvariants.com/d.font/

but I don't know what's the meaning of true type / type 1 / postscript et
cetera here.

@ 2001-02-22 14:59 ` James H. Cloos Jr.
From: James H. Cloos Jr. @ 2001-02-22 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

/tex-archive/fonts/cheq on ctan is the best known type 1 chess font.
It is also distributed w/ ghostscript.

-Jimc
--
James H. Cloos, Jr.  <http://jhcloos.com/public_key>     1024D/ED7DAEA6
<cloos@jhcloos.com>  E9E9 F828 61A4 6EA9 0F2B  63E7 997A 9F17 ED7D AEA6

* chess
@ 2001-02-20 16:11 Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2001-02-20 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I am not totally sure, but think I remember an adobe cheq font
being released for 'free' (as of 'free beer' not of 'free to
change...')
from
ftp://ftp.dante.de/tex-archive/fonts/cheq/
the 00readme.tex says:

[...]
This is a posting of the Adobe chess font `Cheq'. It is being licensed
to you royalty-free by Adobe Systems, Inc., for your use and not for
sale to others.  This font software is provided as is and Adobe
disclaims all warranties, including merchantability and fitness for a
particular purpose.

This current release is in five parts:

\begin{enumerate}
   \item the ascii version of the downloadable font (cheq.ps)
   \item the Font Metrics (AFM) file, the TeX .PL file, and an
         example text file using Cheq (example.ps)
   \item the Macintosh printer font in Binhex'd compressed StuffIt
         format (cheq-f.sit-hqx)
   \item the Macintosh screen fonts (10,11,12,14,16,18, and 24 point)
         in NFNT resource format in Binhex'd compressed StuffIt format
         (cheq-sf.sit-hqx)
   \item Macintosh text examples of Cheq in Binhex'd compressed StuffIt
         format (cheq-txt.sit-hqx)
\end{enumerate}
[...]

I have no mac at hand so I cannot verify that the font is in
there. But a search on 'cheq.pfb' on ftpsearch gave me some
results. I don't know if this is the one. I'll have a look in
the latex graphics companion tonight. It is mentioned in there.

Viele Gruesse,

  Patrick Gundlach