* balancing columns with little formatted entries
@ 1999-09-22 20:59 Ed L. Cashin
       [not found] ` <37EEB0E9.FA9A6530@wxs.nl>
From: Ed L. Cashin @ 1999-09-22 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using two-column mode to format a directory with entries that are
set up as vboxes.  I'm finding that the columns often turn out
unbalanced, and I suspect that perhaps my code is not high-level
enough.

I'm interested in making sure that any given entry on the page is not
ever split between pages, so a vbox seems OK, but then, it's not
working as I expected.

Rather than post a large amount of code to show how multiple pages
look, I've put several files at this URL:

        http://www.coe.uga.edu/~ecashin/temp

Basically, I try to use rubber vertical glue between the vboxes to
ensure that TeX will expand the vertical space between the vboxes so
that the columns might be balanced easily.

--
--Ed Cashin
  ecashin@coe.uga.edu