* font features in math
@ 2016-05-01  9:22 Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2016-05-01  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

When I compile this in context all number are oldstyle numbers:

\starttext

\font\test= {name:TeX-Gyre-Termes:+onum}
\test 0123456789
$\fam0 \textfont0=\test 0123456789$
\stoptext

When I run a similar plaintex (or latex) example in texlive 2016
with a new luaotfload then the text numbers are (as wanted) old
style, but the numbers in math mode are lining numbers (the font is
correct):

\input luaotfload.sty
\font\test= {name:TeX-Gyre-Termes:+onum}
\test 0123456789
$\fam0 \textfont0=\test 0123456789$
\bye

So somehow in math the +onum is lost in plain and latex but not in
context. What is context doing differently to avoid this? (It can't
be the fontloader. I forced luaotfload to use the context files from
the minimals.)

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/

* Re: font features in math
@ 2016-05-01  9:45 ` Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2016-05-01  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

···<Datum: Sunday, 01. May 2016>···<Von: Ulrike Fischer>···

> When I compile this in context all number are oldstyle numbers:
>
> \starttext
>
> \font\test= {name:TeX-Gyre-Termes:+onum}
> \test 0123456789
> $\fam0 \textfont0=\test 0123456789$
> \stoptext
>
> When I run a similar plaintex (or latex) example in texlive 2016
> with a new luaotfload then the text numbers are (as wanted) old
> style, but the numbers in math mode are lining numbers (the font is
> correct):
>
> \input luaotfload.sty
> \font\test= {name:TeX-Gyre-Termes:+onum}
> \test 0123456789
> $\fam0 \textfont0=\test 0123456789$
> \bye
>

> So somehow in math the +onum is lost in plain and latex but not in
> context. What is context doing differently to avoid this?

    mode=base

See the issue thread where you got the example from or the
Luaotfload manual.

Philipp

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

* Re: font features in math
@ 2016-05-01 10:53   ` Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2016-05-01 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Sun, 1 May 2016 11:45:02 +0200 schrieb Philipp Gesang:

>> So somehow in math the +onum is lost in plain and latex but not in
>> context. What is context doing differently to avoid this?
>
>     mode=base

If context attach mode=base to math, how does it it? How can you
switch a feature like mode=node to mode=base for every font in math?

--

@ 2016-05-01 12:46     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-05-01 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 5/1/2016 12:53 PM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Sun, 1 May 2016 11:45:02 +0200 schrieb Philipp Gesang:
>
>>> So somehow in math the +onum is lost in plain and latex but not in
>>> context. What is context doing differently to avoid this?
>>
>>     mode=base
>
> If context attach mode=base to math, how does it it? How can you
> switch a feature like mode=node to mode=base for every font in math?

that has to be done in otfload i guess (context does it in the
featureset applied to math fonts)

there is no node processing in math (when using base mode one ca apply
some features like substitutions) that then gets passed to tex

* Re: font features in math
@ 2016-05-02 16:47     ` Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2016-05-02 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

···<Datum: Sunday, 01. May 2016>···<Von: Ulrike Fischer>···

> Am Sun, 1 May 2016 11:45:02 +0200 schrieb Philipp Gesang:
>
> >> So somehow in math the +onum is lost in plain and latex but not in
> >> context. What is context doing differently to avoid this?
> >
> >     mode=base
>
> If context attach mode=base to math, how does it it?

A one would do in Luaotfload: specify base mode when defining the
font. It’s unrelated to math, just the default set of features
that Luaotfload has been applying to every definition for ages.
The reasoning -- by Khaled and others -- was, that the Opentype
standard mandates some defaults so Luaotfload should follow suit.

The defaults can be overridden by setting the appropriate values
in luaotfload.conf(5).

>                                                      How can you
> switch a feature like mode=node to mode=base for every font in math?

Define two fonts: one for use in math mode, another for where you
really, really require node mode.

@ 2016-05-02 17:51       ` jfbu
From: jfbu @ 2016-05-02 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 2 mai 2016 à 18:47, Philipp Gesang <phg@phi-gamma.net> a écrit :

> ···<Datum: Sunday, 01. May 2016>···<Von: Ulrike Fischer>···

>>>    mode=base
>>
>> If context attach mode=base to math, how does it it?
>
> A one would do in Luaotfload: specify base mode when defining the
> font. It’s unrelated to math, just the default set of features
> that Luaotfload has been applying to every definition for ages.
> The reasoning -- by Khaled and others -- was, that the Opentype
> standard mandates some defaults so Luaotfload should follow suit.
>
> The defaults can be overridden by setting the appropriate values
> in luaotfload.conf(5).
>
>>                                                     How can you
>> switch a feature like mode=node to mode=base for every font in math?
>
> Define two fonts: one for use in math mode, another for where you
> really, really require node mode.
>
> Philipp

Ulrike, thanks a lot for keeping asking questions on this and Philipp
for answering.

I have figured experimentally that I could use (at least in some cases,
and after math fonts are initialized which in LaTeX seems to mean
one needs to enter math mode at least once before)

\font\fixmath=\fontname\textfont\foo mode=base;
\textfont\foo=\fixmath

for example creating this \fontname:

[Vollkorn-Regular]:mode=node;script=latn;language=DFLT;+tlig;+lnum;mode=base;

which is then experimentally observed to obey the second mode specifier
and thus does display lining figures in math mode.

Jean-François

* Re: font features in math
@ 2016-05-02 18:15         ` jfbu
From: jfbu @ 2016-05-02 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

> \font\fixmath=\fontname\textfont\foo mode=base;
> \textfont\foo=\fixmath

I will use a better approach as this one does not work
when the thing ends as "at 7.0pt" for example, but in principle
I see I can do surgery on the \fontname and replace there
mode=node if it exists with mode=base.

I only have to figure out the best time to do that
in a context (no pun intended) where people may change
"\mathversion" (latex thing).

Jean-François

* Re: font features in math
@ 2016-05-02 18:35           ` jfbu
From: jfbu @ 2016-05-02 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 2 mai 2016 à 20:15, jfbu <jfbu@free.fr> a écrit :

>> \font\fixmath=\fontname\textfont\foo mode=base;
>> \textfont\foo=\fixmath
>
> I will use a better approach as this one does not work
> when the thing ends as "at 7.0pt" for example, but in principle
> I see I can do surgery on the \fontname and replace there
> mode=node if it exists with mode=base.
>
> I only have to figure out the best time to do that
> in a context (no pun intended) where people may change
> "\mathversion" (latex thing).

\begingroup
\catcode`N 12
\catcode`O 12
\catcode`D 12
\catcode`E 12
\lowercase{\gdef\FixMathFont@i #1=NODE;#2\relax #3}%
  {\font\fixmath=#1=base;#2\relax\global#3\symmtoperatorfont=\fixmath}
\endgroup

\def\FixMathFont
{\setbox0\hbox{\MTeverymathoff$\relax$%
 \expandafter\FixMathFont@i\fontname\textfont\symmtoperatorfont\relax\textfont
 \expandafter\FixMathFont@i\fontname\scriptfont\symmtoperatorfont\relax\scriptfont
 \expandafter\FixMathFont@i\fontname\scriptscriptfont\symmtoperatorfont\relax\scriptscriptfont}%
}

I only need to add the layer to do nothing if "=node" is not found, and
we are allset.

Jean-François

* Re: font features in math
@ 2016-05-02 22:13       ` Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2016-05-02 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Mon, 2 May 2016 18:47:36 +0200 schrieb Philipp Gesang:

>> How can you switch a feature like mode=node to mode=base for
>> every font in math?

> Define two fonts: one for use in math mode, another for where you
> really, really require node mode.

That's easy if one can select the fonts explicitly, but the question
was triggered by the url package which internally switches to math.

Also in the context example there aren't two font definitions:

\starttext

\font\test= {name:TeX-Gyre-Termes:+onum}
\test 0123456789
$\fam0 \textfont0=\test 0123456789$
\stoptext

Nevertheless "\test" seems to use mode=node outside math and
mode=base inside math and I would like to know where the code is
that does it.

--

@ 2016-05-03  7:25         ` jfbu
From: jfbu @ 2016-05-03  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 3 mai 2016 à 00:13, Ulrike Fischer <news3@nililand.de> a écrit :

> That's easy if one can select the fonts explicitly, but the question
> was triggered by the url package which internally switches to math.

I have posted a (seemingly partial) patch to this problem of \url at http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/264206/cant-get-oldstyle-figures-in-url-with-lualatex/307585#307585

* NEW : ConTeXt documentation in French (Wikibook)
@ 2016-05-03  9:11             ` Jean-Pierre Delange
From: Jean-Pierre Delange @ 2016-05-03  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear French ConTeXt users (and others),

I have started to compile ConTeXt documentation in French, gathered in a
Wikibook (Wikilivre) that you can find here :
https://fr.wikibooks.org/wiki/ConTeXt.
The whole documentation in this Wikibook is mostly given through French
translations of original English documentation, which is provided by
ConTeXt Garden wiki pages, Stack Exchange pages devoted to ConTeXt, and
Bertrand Lemasson website
(http://lesfichesabebert.fr/index.php/FichesBebert/Context), and by
personnal tests made by me on both Linux/Windows systems.

This is a work in progress, and I need some help, first to correct the
several code examples I give in this Wikibook, second to provide some
examples of  ConTeXt "critic apparatus" (in the way you can find in
LaTeX code 'reledmac' there  — thanks to Maïeul Rouquette —
http://mirrors.ctan.org/macros/latex/contrib/reledmac/examples/1-criticalnotes.tex),
and third to give me some links where I can find ConTeXt up to date
documentation (especially about complex book project). Of course, you
may correct, improve and expand this project.

Thanks,
JP Delange

* Re: NEW : ConTeXt documentation in French (Wikibook)
@ 2016-05-03  9:49               ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2016-05-03  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Jean-Pierre,

You ahve done a wonderful job, thanks for sharing.
I’ll look on a regular basis your wikibook and let you know if I find typos and examples to improve.

Best regards: Otared K.

> On 03 May 2016, at 11:11, Jean-Pierre Delange <adeimantos@free.fr> wrote:
>
> Dear French ConTeXt users (and others),
>
> I have started to compile ConTeXt documentation in French, gathered in a Wikibook (Wikilivre) that you can find here :
> https://fr.wikibooks.org/wiki/ConTeXt.
> The whole documentation in this Wikibook is mostly given through French translations of original English documentation, which is provided by ConTeXt Garden wiki pages, Stack Exchange pages devoted to ConTeXt, and Bertrand Lemasson website (http://lesfichesabebert.fr/index.php/FichesBebert/Context), and by personnal tests made by me on both Linux/Windows systems.
>
> This is a work in progress, and I need some help, first to correct the several code examples I give in this Wikibook, second to provide some examples of  ConTeXt "critic apparatus" (in the way you can find in LaTeX code 'reledmac' there  — thanks to Maïeul Rouquette — http://mirrors.ctan.org/macros/latex/contrib/reledmac/examples/1-criticalnotes.tex), and third to give me some links where I can find ConTeXt up to date documentation (especially about complex book project). Of course, you may correct, improve and expand this project.
>
> Thanks,
> JP Delange

* Re: font features in math
@ 2016-05-04  7:53         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-05-04  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 5/3/2016 12:13 AM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Mon, 2 May 2016 18:47:36 +0200 schrieb Philipp Gesang:
>
>>> How can you switch a feature like mode=node to mode=base for
>>> every font in math?
>
>> Define two fonts: one for use in math mode, another for where you
>> really, really require node mode.
>
> That's easy if one can select the fonts explicitly, but the question
> was triggered by the url package which internally switches to math.
>
> Also in the context example there aren't two font definitions:
>
> \starttext
>
> \font\test= {name:TeX-Gyre-Termes:+onum}
> \test 0123456789
> $\fam0 \textfont0=\test 0123456789$
> \stoptext
>
> Nevertheless "\test" seems to use mode=node outside math and
> mode=base inside math and I would like to know where the code is
> that does it.

in your font definition you use a low level xetex like specification so
you bypass the normal feature definition mechanism which means that as
you don't specify a mode, you get base mode which in turn means that the
onum is applied to the font immediately and as you use the same font in
math you get onum there too

{name:TeX-Gyre-Termes:+onum;mode=node}

gives you onum in text as a result of node mode processing but then the
math is normal digits because the font is pass as-is

Hans

* Re: font features in math
@ 2016-05-04  8:38           ` Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2016-05-04  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Wed, 4 May 2016 09:53:14 +0200 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> as you don't specify a mode, you get base mode

Damn ;-). I didn't thought about this possibility. I assumed the
default mode would be like in luaotfload "node". Thanks for
correcting me. It is a relieve that I didn't find the font simply
because it isn't there ;-).

(Now I also understand Philipps remark ...)