From: Bruce Horrocks <bh@granby.demon.co.uk>
Cc: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: Problem with bit maps with ConTeXt under MikTeX (works fine using LaTeX)
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 11:37:27 +0000	[thread overview]

In message <20011107092947.0c79bdd4.taco@elvenkind.com>,
on Wed, 7 Nov 2001 at 09:29:47, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

>dvips supports (some versions of) bmp as image format, pdftex as driver
>doesn't (in pdf mode, that is). If you output a DVI file, it can pass
>on the emtex specials essentially like latex does, but there is no
>support for that in Context.
>
>If you send me the bmp file, I can probably hack it in. But bmp is a
>silly format and it is only partially supported by dvips anyway. So,
>why do you want to use it?

I want to use something that Yap can display because of the improved
edit cycle with its support for forward and reverse lookups. What I want
to produce is a manual containing lots (hundreds, maybe thousands) of
small screen dumps as step-by-step illustrations. It's essential that I
can see the image that I'm referring to while writing otherwise I'm
going to get horribly confused. The final manual will be in PDF, both
printable and screen versions - hence the reason for choosing ConTeXt
over LaTeX.

So I would prefer to have .png support in both (DVI preview and PDF) as
this saves messing around with multiple copies of the image files. If
you're going to makes changes to support this then please do so for png.
(I was only using bmp here because I assumed that my setup was wrong and
that it should work in some way.)

I've attached a sample bitmap so you can see the kind of thing that I
want to put in.

Finally an apology to all re the first line of my original message:
>> I have two very simple files that include a batman image: the LaTeX one
Somehow "bitmap" was auto-corrected into "batman" which must have left
some of you a little confused :-)

Regards,