* Re: footnote marks fail
@ 2010-04-13 18:09 Michael Saunders
From: Michael Saunders @ 2010-04-13 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Sebastien Mengin:

> Sorry, a bit off topic, but: is \setupfootnotes[] a synonym for
> \setupnote[footnote][] ?

Besides
\setupfootnotes[]
and
\setupnote[footnote][]
there are:
\setupenumerations[footnote][]
and
\setupfootnotedefinition[]
and maybe more.

I have no idea how they are related or even how to find out the difference.

* Re: footnote marks fail
@ 2010-04-14 16:20     ` Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2010-04-14 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 13.04.2010 um 13:16 schrieb Peter Münster:

> On Tue, Apr 13 2010, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>
>>> \starttext
>>> text1\footnote{1footnote}
>>> \stoptext
>>>
>>> This will produce four instances of the numeral '1'.  Suppose I want
>>> them all to look exactly alike.  In other words, suppose I didn't want
>>> either footnote mark to be rescaled or elevated at all.  How could I
>>> do that?
>>
>> \setupfootnotes[textcommand=,numbercommand=,style=,bodyfont=]
>
> And textstyle:
>
> \setupfootnotes[numbercommand=, textcommand=, style=, textstyle=,
>  bodyfont=]
>
> ;)
>
> Cheers, Peter

It must be "localbodyfont=", right?

Steffen

* Re: footnote marks fail
@ 2010-04-14 14:00         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-04-14 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 13-4-2010 10:07, Sebastien Mengin wrote:
> Le 13 avril 2010 à 08:13, Taco Hoekwater a écrit:
>>> Sorry, a bit off topic, but: is \setupfootnotes[] a synonym for
>>> \setupnote[footnote][] ?
>>
>> Yes, the actual definition is:
>>    \def\setupfootnotes {\setupnote [\v!footnote]}
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
>> which reminds me: at some point we should add wiki redirects or
>> stub pages for
>>
>>   Reference/en/startitemize =>  Reference/en/startenumeration
>
> So I guess there is a list of all those synonyms available?

no, because they're backward compatible commands and the setupnote is
the one to be documented (and used), not the setupfootnotes

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: footnote marks fail
@ 2010-04-13 20:18         ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-04-13 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sebastien Mengin wrote:

>> which reminds me: at some point we should add wiki redirects or
>> stub pages for
>>
>>  Reference/en/startitemize => Reference/en/startenumeration
>
> So I guess there is a list of all those synonyms available?

Not readily, they follow from \define.. commands in the source
(which is why such redirects would be helpful)

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: footnote marks fail
@ 2010-04-13 20:07       ` Sebastien Mengin
From: Sebastien Mengin @ 2010-04-13 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 13 avril 2010 à 08:13, Taco Hoekwater a écrit:
>> Sorry, a bit off topic, but: is \setupfootnotes[] a synonym for
>> \setupnote[footnote][] ?
>
> Yes, the actual definition is:
>   \def\setupfootnotes {\setupnote [\v!footnote]}

Thanks a lot.

> which reminds me: at some point we should add wiki redirects or
> stub pages for
>
>  Reference/en/startitemize => Reference/en/startenumeration

So I guess there is a list of all those synonyms available?

Sincerely,
--
Sébastien Mengin
Édition et logiciels libres

* Re: footnote marks fail
@ 2010-04-13 18:13     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-04-13 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sebastien Mengin wrote:
> Le 13 avril 2010 à 01:24, Peter Münster a écrit:
>> Hello,
>>
>> See here:
>> http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20100413.111638.965cf779.en.html
>>
>> and here:
>> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Reference/en/setupfootnotes
>>
>> It's not a detailed documentation of \setupfootnotes but at least you get
>> an idea of the possible option-keywords.
>>
>> Cheers, Peter
>
> Sorry, a bit off topic, but: is \setupfootnotes[] a synonym for
> \setupnote[footnote][] ?

Yes, the actual definition is:

   \def\setupfootnotes {\setupnote [\v!footnote]}

which reminds me: at some point we should add wiki redirects or
stub pages for

  Reference/en/startitemize => Reference/en/startenumeration

etc.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: footnote marks fail
@ 2010-04-13 18:09     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-04-13 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 13.04.10 19:52, schrieb Sebastien Mengin:
> Sorry, a bit off topic, but: is \setupfootnotes[] a synonym for
> \setupnote[footnote][] ?

Yes, it is.

Wolfgang

* Re: footnote marks fail
@ 2010-04-13 17:52   ` Sebastien Mengin
From: Sebastien Mengin @ 2010-04-13 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2010-04-13 11:24 ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2010-04-13 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Apr 13 2010, Michael Saunders wrote:
> Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>

> > \setupfootnotes[textcommand=,numbercommand=,style=,bodyfont=]
>
> Thanks, Taco.  I tried the following:
>
> \setupfootnotes[textcommand=,numbercommand=,style=,bodyfont=]
>
> \starttext
> text1\footnote{1footnote}
> \stoptext
>
> and it almost works.  The third and fourth '1' look the same, but the
> first and second '1' (those in the text) are different.  The second is
> on the baseline, but it has been scaled much smaller than the first.
> I want to turn off even this scaling.

Hello,

See here:
http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20100413.111638.965cf779.en.html

and here:
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Reference/en/setupfootnotes

It's not a detailed documentation of \setupfootnotes but at least you get
an idea of the possible option-keywords.

Cheers, Peter

--
Contact information: http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: footnote marks fail
@ 2010-04-13 11:16   ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2010-04-13 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2010-04-13 10:53 Michael Saunders
From: Michael Saunders @ 2010-04-13 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> \setupfootnotes[textcommand=,numbercommand=,style=,bodyfont=]

Thanks, Taco.  I tried the following:

\setupfootnotes[textcommand=,numbercommand=,style=,bodyfont=]

\starttext
text1\footnote{1footnote}
\stoptext

and it almost works.  The third and fourth '1' look the same, but the
first and second '1' (those in the text) are different.  The second is
on the baseline, but it has been scaled much smaller than the first.
I want to turn off even this scaling.

My eventual plan is to use my sups for this (they seem to work fine
for me), but for now I'd be content to turn the automatic scaling off.
 By the way, of these four keys (textcommand, numbercommand, style,
bodyfont), it's not at all clear to me what each is supposed to
control.

* Re: footnote marks fail
@ 2010-04-13 10:33 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-04-13 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2010-04-13 10:22 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-04-13 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 13-4-2010 12:16, Michael Saunders wrote:
> Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>

>> I may be missing something on my side, but I can't get sups=yes
>> to work at all.
>>
>>   \definefontfeature[default][default][mode=node,script=latn,sups=yes]
>>   \switchtobodyfont[palatino,11pt]
>
> It may well be that this palatino doesn't have the sups feature.  Let
> me put it this way:
>
> \starttext
> text1\footnote{1footnote}
> \stoptext
>
> This will produce four instances of the numeral '1'.  Suppose I want
> them all to look exactly alike.  In other words, suppose I didn't want
> either footnote mark to be rescaled or elevated at all.  How could I
> do that?

you cannot trust open type features like sups and frac as you can never
be sure how complete these are and if the ruled laid down in the font
are okay; some of these features are really meant to be applied
specifically (select piece of text and apply in dtp)

i have plans to cook up an alternative font handler fot such features
(using shapes but not feature info per se)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: footnote marks fail
@ 2010-04-13 10:16 Michael Saunders
From: Michael Saunders @ 2010-04-13 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

@ 2010-04-13  6:47 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-04-13  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Saunders wrote:

> \definefontfeature[su][default][sups=yes]%superior
> \definefontfeature[nu][default][numr=yes]%numerator

I may be missing something on my side, but I can't get sups=yes
to work at all.

  \definefontfeature[default][default][mode=node,script=latn,sups=yes]
  \switchtobodyfont[palatino,11pt]
  \starttext
  hello 123
  \stoptext

Best wishes,
Taco

* footnote marks fail
@ 2010-04-12 23:52 Michael Saunders
From: Michael Saunders @ 2010-04-12 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Footnotes are normally marked with superior figures both in the text
and before the footnote itself.  Context's defaults prevent this, and
I can't figure out how to change the defaults.

1. The defaults

So that no imagination is necessary, here is a minimal example:

\starttext
text\footnote{footnote}
\stoptext

I have to guess what Context is doing.  It looks like it's taking the
regular numbers from the font, shrinking them somehow and elevating
them.  It does this in unequal amounts for the marks in text and the
marks before footnotes.  In both cases, the number is so light it's
barely readable.  In the case of the mark before the footnote, it's
raised much too high.

Normal, professional fonts have superior figures in them that are used
for footnote marks.  It _should_ be possible to use them, that is.
All I want to do is turn off the default scaling and raising behavior
of Context footnote marks so I can do this, and finally get normal
looking footnotes.  No doubt, people will object that they don't have
my font in the room with them, and it is therefore impossible to think
about the problem. So, I repeat myself:  all I want to do is turn off
the default scaling and raising.

2. My first stab at correcting this.

WARNING:  I have a font with the opentype features 'sups' and 'numr'.
You might not have this font, but it is still possible to think about
the problem:  the problem is not my font, but Context's defaults.

\definefontfeature[su][default][sups=yes]%superior
\definefontfeature[nu][default][numr=yes]%numerator

\newcommand{\fnstyle}{\switchtobodyfont[12pt]\addff{su}}
\setupnote[footnote][numbercommand=\fnstyle,textcommand=\fnstyle\tfa]

(Note: my body font is 12pt.)

This is as close as I could get to correcting the problem.  When I do
this, the marks in text look a little too low, too short and much too
bold.  It looks like Context is still scaling and elevating on its
own.  The marks before the footnotes are much too large and far, far
too high.  Context seems to be trying to squeeze them between the
lines.   This also seems to force extra space between the separate
footnotes, even though I have grid on.

If I try using numerators instead of superiors (they look the same but
are lower), the marks in text look too bold and far too low.  The
marks before the footnotes are at the right height, but too big.

DISCLAIMER:  it is not necessary to own my font in order to think
about this problem.  The issue is the default scaling and raising that
Context applies to footnote marks.  I want to turn it off.