From: Nicola <nvitacolonna@gmail.com>
To: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: How to use Helvetica Neue Light (OS X)?
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 12:36:17 +0100	[thread overview]

On 2016-02-09 22:15:47 +0000, Nicola said:

> I want to use OS X's Helvetica Neue Light in a document. How may
> I do that?

I have investigated the issue a bit more and it seems that I have
a more fundamental problem with fonts. More specifically, I have
tested the latest beta (ConTeXt 0.63 2016.02.08 15:35) and the TeX
Live version (ConTeXt 0.61 2015.05.18 12:26), with inconsistent
results. The beta is a fresh install, where I have only executed:

sh ./first-setup.sh --modules=all --engine=luatex
. ./tex/setuptex
luatools --generate

This is a selection of fonts that I have tried (the name is the name
that I have used as an argument to \definefamily):

Name             Suffix                TeXLive ConTeXt  ConTeXt Beta
Baskerville                   .ttc     OK               OK
Courier                       .dfont   unknown font     unknown font
Geneva                        .dfont   OK               unknown font
Helvetica                     .dfont   OK               unknown font
Helvetica Neue                .dfont   Nearly OK(*)     unknown font
Helvetica Neue Desk Interface .ttc     Nearly OK(*)     Nearly OK(**)
Hoefler                       .ttc     unknown font     unknown font
Hoefler Text                  .ttc     unknown font     unknown font
Hoefler Text Ornaments        .ttc     unknown font     unknown font
Menlo                         .ttc     OK               OK
Monaco                        .dfont   OK               unknown font
Optima                        .ttc     OK               OK
Palatino                      .ttc     OK               OK
Source Code Pro               .otf     OK               Nearly OK(***)
Times                         .dfont   unknown font     unknown font
Times Roman                   .dfont   unknown font     unknown font

(*) Instead of bold, bold italic is used
(**) Instead of bold italic, bold is used (!)
(***) Italic and bold italic are shown as regular and italic, resp.

In general, I have no problems with .ttf and .otf fonts (with the
exception of Source Code Pro, see the table).

From the above:

(1) I conclude that .dfont fonts are not dealt properly by ConTeXt, or
    that I am missing some configuration step.

(2) I suspect that I also have a naming issue (e.g., see Hoefler and
    Times). This is what mtxrun gives me for Hoefler (for both ConTeXt
    versions):

mtxrun --script fonts --list --all --pattern=hoefl*

hoeflertext              hoeflertextornaments
/Library/Fonts/Hoefler Text Ornaments.ttf
hoeflertextblack         hoeflertextblack
/Library/Fonts/Hoefler Text.ttc             index:  2
hoeflertextblackitalic   hoeflertextblackitalic
/Library/Fonts/Hoefler Text.ttc             index:  4
hoeflertextitalic        hoeflertextitalic
/Library/Fonts/Hoefler Text.ttc             index:  3
hoeflertextnormal        hoeflertextornaments
/Library/Fonts/Hoefler Text Ornaments.ttf
hoeflertextornaments     hoeflertextornaments
/Library/Fonts/Hoefler Text Ornaments.ttf
hoeflertextregular       hoeflertextregular
/Library/Fonts/Hoefler Text.ttc             index:  1

(3) I still don't now how to select, say, Helvetica Light or Avenir Black.
    For the record, in LuaLaTeX I use \setsansfont{Helvetica Neue Light},
    and it works.

The document I have used for the tests is pretty basic, but I paste it
below for completeness.

Nicola

\definefontfamily [myfamily] [serif] [Some Font] %[style=Light]
\setupbodyfont[myfamily]
\starttext
\scale[width=\textwidth]{\switchtobodyfont   [6pt]\tf Regular, \it
Italic \bf Bold and \bi BoldItalic}
\scale[width=\textwidth]{\switchtobodyfont   [8pt]\tf Regular, \it
Italic \bf Bold and \bi BoldItalic}
\scale[width=\textwidth]{\switchtobodyfont  [10pt]\tf Regular, \it
Italic \bf Bold and \bi BoldItalic}
\scale[width=\textwidth]{\switchtobodyfont  [12pt]\tf Regular, \it
Italic \bf Bold and \bi BoldItalic}
\scale[width=\textwidth]{\switchtobodyfont[17.3pt]\tf Regular, \it
Italic \bf Bold and \bi BoldItalic}
\stoptext