* Diamond, and Unicode math symbols
@ 2016-03-10 21:00 Nicola
From: Nicola @ 2016-03-10 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I'm looking for a symbol similar to \lozenge, but squarer (like
\Diamond in some LaTeX packages, see The Comprehensive Symbol List,
p. 112). Any idea how I may typeset it in ConTeXt (MKIV)? \diamond
is too small. I am using TeX Gyre Pagella Math if that matters.

I also have a couple of questions about \showmathfontcharacters:

1) does that list show all and only the symbols available in the
current font, or a predefined list of symbols?

2) The list shows a Unicode point for each symbol, but not the
corresponding TeX command (if it exists). Say I need U+02B31
(three leftwards arrows), and I don't want to bother searching
TCSL above.  May I use the Unicode code point to define a control
sequence in ConTeXt that prints the symbol? If so, how?

Nicola

* Re: Diamond, and Unicode math symbols
@ 2016-03-11 19:03 ` Nicola
From: Nicola @ 2016-03-11 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2016-03-10 21:00:21 +0000, Nicola said:

> I'm looking for a symbol similar to \lozenge, but squarer […]
> Any idea how I may typeset it in ConTeXt (MKIV)?

Unless I am overlooking something, there is no such symbol in
TeX Gyre Pagella Math, so maybe this is not possible.

> 2) The list shows a Unicode point for each symbol, but not the
> corresponding TeX command (if it exists).

Ok, this is not correct: the command is there, for symbols that
have one. But how do I use symbols with no associated TeX command?

@ 2016-03-11 19:56   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-03-11 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3/11/2016 8:03 PM, Nicola wrote:
> On 2016-03-10 21:00:21 +0000, Nicola said:
>
>> I'm looking for a symbol similar to \lozenge, but squarer […]
>> Any idea how I may typeset it in ConTeXt (MKIV)?
>
> Unless I am overlooking something, there is no such symbol in
> TeX Gyre Pagella Math, so maybe this is not possible.
>
>> 2) The list shows a Unicode point for each symbol, but not the
>> corresponding TeX command (if it exists).
>
> Ok, this is not correct: the command is there, for symbols that
> have one. But how do I use symbols with no associated TeX command?

\utfchar{number}

* Re: Diamond, and Unicode math symbols
@ 2016-03-11 20:18 ` Mikael P. Sundqvist
From: Mikael P. Sundqvist @ 2016-03-11 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 10:00 PM, Nicola <nvitacolonna@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for a symbol similar to \lozenge, but squarer (like
> \Diamond in some LaTeX packages, see The Comprehensive Symbol List,
> p. 112). Any idea how I may typeset it in ConTeXt (MKIV)? \diamond
> is too small. I am using TeX Gyre Pagella Math if that matters.
>
> I also have a couple of questions about \showmathfontcharacters:
>
> 1) does that list show all and only the symbols available in the
> current font, or a predefined list of symbols?
>
> 2) The list shows a Unicode point for each symbol, but not the
> corresponding TeX command (if it exists). Say I need U+02B31
> (three leftwards arrows), and I don't want to bother searching
> TCSL above.  May I use the Unicode code point to define a control
> sequence in ConTeXt that prints the symbol? If so, how?
>
> Nicola

I could not find a diamond on p. 112 in my version of the
comprehensive symbol list, but maybe:

\definefontfamily[myface][rm][TeX Gyre Pagella]
\definefallbackfamily[myface][mm][Xits][range={"025C7}]
\definefontfamily[myface][mm][TeX Gyre Pagella Math]

\setupbodyfont[myface]

\starttext
You could try $⋄\quad   ⃟ $ from Pagella or $◇$ from Xits.
\stoptext

There is a nice document, unicode-symbols.pdf you can have a look in
for a list of (unicode) math symbols.

/Mikael

* Re: Diamond, and Unicode math symbols
@ 2016-03-11 20:57   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-03-11 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3/11/2016 9:18 PM, Mikael P. Sundqvist wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 10:00 PM, Nicola <nvitacolonna@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm looking for a symbol similar to \lozenge, but squarer (like
>> \Diamond in some LaTeX packages, see The Comprehensive Symbol List,
>> p. 112). Any idea how I may typeset it in ConTeXt (MKIV)? \diamond
>> is too small. I am using TeX Gyre Pagella Math if that matters.
>>
>> I also have a couple of questions about \showmathfontcharacters:
>>
>> 1) does that list show all and only the symbols available in the
>> current font, or a predefined list of symbols?
>>
>> 2) The list shows a Unicode point for each symbol, but not the
>> corresponding TeX command (if it exists). Say I need U+02B31
>> (three leftwards arrows), and I don't want to bother searching
>> TCSL above.  May I use the Unicode code point to define a control
>> sequence in ConTeXt that prints the symbol? If so, how?
>>
>> Nicola

> I could not find a diamond on p. 112 in my version of the
> comprehensive symbol list, but maybe:
>
> \definefontfamily[myface][rm][TeX Gyre Pagella]
> \definefallbackfamily[myface][mm][Xits][range={"025C7}]
> \definefontfamily[myface][mm][TeX Gyre Pagella Math]
>
> \setupbodyfont[myface]
>
> \starttext
> You could try $⋄\quad   ⃟ $ from Pagella or $◇$ from Xits.
> \stoptext
>
> There is a nice document, unicode-symbols.pdf you can have a look in
> for a list of (unicode) math symbols.

there are s-math-*.mkiv files that can generate all kind of lists

you can run s-mkiv-repertoire.mkiv to get a comparison (at the end of
the file you can see how)

% list here (some 8 fonts) that you have on your system:

\showmathcharacterssetbodyfonts{lucidaot,cambria,xits,modern,pagella,termes,bonum,schola,dejavu}

\starttext

     \setupbodyfont[pagella,   12pt]

     \showmathfontrepertoire

\stoptext

you can click around (on a decent high res screen)

* Re: Diamond, and Unicode math symbols
@ 2016-03-12  9:13     ` Nicola
From: Nicola @ 2016-03-12  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2016-03-11 20:57:28 +0000, Hans Hagen said:

> On 3/11/2016 9:18 PM, Mikael P. Sundqvist wrote:
>>
>> I could not find a diamond on p. 112 in my version of the
>> comprehensive symbol list, but maybe:
>>
>> \definefontfamily[myface][rm][TeX Gyre Pagella]
>> \definefallbackfamily[myface][mm][Xits][range={"025C7}]
>> \definefontfamily[myface][mm][TeX Gyre Pagella Math]
>>
>> \setupbodyfont[myface]
>>
>> \starttext
>> You could try $⋄\quad   ⃟ $ from Pagella or $◇$ from Xits.
>> \stoptext
>>
>> There is a nice document, unicode-symbols.pdf you can have a look in
>> for a list of (unicode) math symbols.
>
> there are s-math-*.mkiv files that can generate all kind of lists
>
> you can run s-mkiv-repertoire.mkiv to get a comparison (at the end of
> the file you can see how)
>
> % list here (some 8 fonts) that you have on your system:
>
> \showmathcharacterssetbodyfonts{lucidaot,cambria,xits,modern,pagella,termes,bonum,schola,dejavu}
>

> \starttext
>
>      \setupbodyfont[pagella,   12pt]
>
>      \showmathfontrepertoire
>
> \stoptext
>
> you can click around (on a decent high res screen)

Hans, Mikael, thanks for your suggestions, all of them valuable.
Borrowing the symbol from Xits is a fine solution.
The comparison tables come in very handy, too.

Thanks again,
Nicola