* consequences of recent update
@ 2005-02-02  1:19 mickle
From: mickle @ 2005-02-02  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

I recently upgraded my ConTeXt, which is  calling for an updated pdftex
as well:

% texexec test-4.tex
Use of uninitialized value in string eq at /usr/people/pm/bin/texexec
line 344.
Use of uninitialized value in string eq at /usr/people/pm/bin/texexec
line 348.
Use of uninitialized value in string eq at /usr/people/pm/bin/texexec
line 348.

 TeXExec 5.2.4 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005

            executable : pdfetex
                format : cont-en
             inputfile : test-4
                output : pdftex
             interface : en
          current mode : none
               TeX run : 1

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-1.10b-2.1 (Web2C 7.4.5)
entering extended mode
(./test-4.tex{/usr/freeware/share/texmf/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg}

ConTeXt  ver: 2005.01.26  fmt: 2005.1.30  int: english  mes: english

systems        : pdfTeX version 110 -> please update

systems        : eTeX version 201 -> too old (bugs)

I downloaded pdftex 1.20b and tried to build from source, but no matter
what syntax I try, whether as root or as an ordinary user, I fail to get
pdftex to recognize the main texmf tree:

I'm doing

% ./Build --datadir=/usr/freeware/share

and I get

configure: warning: The main texmf tree was not found at /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.
  * Error: The main texmf tree was not found.                     *
  * Use the --datadir option to specify its parent directory.     *
  * If you do not have the files, you should be able to them from *
  * the same place you got these sources from, or from one of the *
  * CTAN hosts.                                                   *
  Winging it by pretending /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf is correct.

so pdftex is configured --without-[pretty much everything]

I posted to the pdftex ml a few days ago, but, I guess, not being a
subscriber, messages are not posted to the list, so I thought to ask
here. My ConTeXt is in my ~/texmf tree, and if it's possible not to
install an entirely new tex system, that would be preferable.

Also, the are the "Use of unitialized string value..." messages related
to this problem?. I had difficulties when trying to update ConTeXt about
a month ago because of the old perl that was on my system, so I've
recently updated to 5.8.

Thanks very much for any suggestions,

Peter

only message in thread, other threads:[~2005-02-02  1:19 UTC | newest]