* ConTeXt Minimals and TEXMFCACHE
@ 2010-08-26 19:03 Nicola
From: Nicola @ 2010-08-26 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,
according to the wiki “ConTeXt minimals does not touch anything outside
its installation folder”, but if TEXMFCACHE is not set by setuptex,
actually many files may be written outside the ConTeXt minimals folder,
and (as in my case) they may conflict with the files written by ConTeXt
from TeX Live in the same cache folder.

Is there any reason why exporting TEXMFCACHE is commented out in
setuptex?

Nicola

* Re: ConTeXt Minimals and TEXMFCACHE
@ 2010-08-26 21:27 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-08-26 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 26-8-2010 9:03, Nicola wrote:
> Hi,
> according to the wiki “ConTeXt minimals does not touch anything outside
> its installation folder”, but if TEXMFCACHE is not set by setuptex,
> actually many files may be written outside the ConTeXt minimals folder,
> and (as in my case) they may conflict with the files written by ConTeXt
> from TeX Live in the same cache folder.
>
> Is there any reason why exporting TEXMFCACHE is commented out in
> setuptex?

You can set it up in a texmfcnf.lua file in your texmf-local/web2c tree.

Anyway, it is unlike to conflict as I hash the path so one cache can
serve many trees.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-08-27  8:04 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-08-27  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 21:03, Nicola <nvitacolonna@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> according to the wiki “ConTeXt minimals does not touch anything outside
> its installation folder”, but if TEXMFCACHE is not set by setuptex,
> actually many files may be written outside the ConTeXt minimals folder,
> and (as in my case) they may conflict with the files written by ConTeXt
> from TeX Live in the same cache folder.
>
> Is there any reason why exporting TEXMFCACHE is commented out in
> setuptex?

The variable TEXMFCACHE is set in
    tex/texmf/web2c/texmfcnf.lua
and that one should do the job. Under usual circumstances at least.

If that one is not being respected, something might be wrong. Do you
have any other texmfcnf.lua file somewhere else?

(Note that you are also free to rename setuptex and modify it
according to your own needs, but it makes sense to debug this first.)

Mojca

* Re: ConTeXt Minimals and TEXMFCACHE
@ 2010-08-27  8:38   ` Nicola
From: Nicola @ 2010-08-27  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

In article <4C76DC46.70902@wxs.nl>, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> > Is there any reason why exporting TEXMFCACHE is commented out in
> > setuptex?
>
> You can set it up in a texmfcnf.lua file in your texmf-local/web2c tree.
>
> Anyway, it is unlike to conflict as I hash the path so one cache can
> serve many trees.

Ah, I hadn't realized that! That simplifies things a lot!

Thanks,

@ 2010-08-27  8:54   ` Nicola
From: Nicola @ 2010-08-27  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

In article
<AANLkTim8p_nsU=qF8R9OJvbd=bpziTWd_Baov+EXH-J3@mail.gmail.com>,
 Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> The variable TEXMFCACHE is set in
>     tex/texmf/web2c/texmfcnf.lua
> and that one should do the job. Under usual circumstances at least.
>
> If that one is not being respected, something might be wrong. Do you
> have any other texmfcnf.lua file somewhere else?

No, I export TEXMFCACHE in my .profile, because I want the cache to be
inside my home folder. After running setuptex, ConTeXt minimals uses
that rather than the path specified in texmfcnf.lua. Since now I know
that luatex-cache can be shared, for me this is perfectly fine. I just
had to adjust the TeXShop engines (I am on Mac OS X) by explicitly
setting TEXMFCACHE for XeTeX and MKII, besides MKIV.

So, if I get it right, the value in texmfcnf.lua is used unless
TEXMFCACHE is set.

@ 2010-08-27  9:24     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-08-27  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 10:54, Nicola wrote:
> In article
> <AANLkTim8p_nsU=qF8R9OJvbd=bpziTWd_Baov+EXH-J3@mail.gmail.com>,
>  Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The variable TEXMFCACHE is set in
>>     tex/texmf/web2c/texmfcnf.lua
>> and that one should do the job. Under usual circumstances at least.
>>
>> If that one is not being respected, something might be wrong. Do you
>> have any other texmfcnf.lua file somewhere else?
>
> No, I export TEXMFCACHE in my .profile, because I want the cache to be
> inside my home folder.

Oh, that's another story then.

> After running setuptex, ConTeXt minimals uses
> that rather than the path specified in texmfcnf.lua. Since now I know
> that luatex-cache can be shared, for me this is perfectly fine.

> I just
> had to adjust the TeXShop engines (I am on Mac OS X) by explicitly
> setting TEXMFCACHE for XeTeX and MKII, besides MKIV.

TEXMFCACHE is not used by MKII (neither in pdfTeX nor in XeTeX).

> So, if I get it right, the value in texmfcnf.lua is used unless
> TEXMFCACHE is set.

True.

Mojca

* Re: ConTeXt Minimals and TEXMFCACHE
@ 2010-08-27 12:25     ` Peter Schorsch
From: Peter Schorsch @ 2010-08-27 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I summarized this small discussion in the wiki as I also made a systemwide
installation (http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Minimals#Cache)

@ 2010-08-27 18:17       ` Nicola
From: Nicola @ 2010-08-27 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

In article
<AANLkTimbrXN-YhfA9bqYREjmCfuyEhqXr-+iX6Ne5DFu@mail.gmail.com>,
 Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> TEXMFCACHE is not used by MKII (neither in pdfTeX nor in XeTeX).

Right. I have tried

unset TEXMFCACHE
texexec hello.tex

in the command line and it just runs texexec (as expected).

But from TeXShop (using the engines for MKII and XeTeX described at
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Minimals/Mac_Installation), for
some reason mtxrun is run before texexec on the first compilation, which
creates the cache in the location specified by texmfcnf.lua (unless I
set TEXMFCACHE). And sourcing setuptex doesn't change anything. Maybe
some other environment variable should be set in those engines?

@ 2010-08-27 21:24         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-08-27 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 27-8-2010 8:17, Nicola wrote:
> In article
> <AANLkTimbrXN-YhfA9bqYREjmCfuyEhqXr-+iX6Ne5DFu@mail.gmail.com>,
>   Mojca Miklavec<mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> TEXMFCACHE is not used by MKII (neither in pdfTeX nor in XeTeX).
>
> Right. I have tried
>
> unset TEXMFCACHE
> texexec hello.tex
>
> in the command line and it just runs texexec (as expected).
>
> But from TeXShop (using the engines for MKII and XeTeX described at
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Minimals/Mac_Installation), for
> some reason mtxrun is run before texexec on the first compilation, which
> creates the cache in the location specified by texmfcnf.lua (unless I
> set TEXMFCACHE). And sourcing setuptex doesn't change anything. Maybe
> some other environment variable should be set in those engines?

we used to have texmfstart as script runner (all scripts are located and
started by a runner which is faster than using some kpse locator esp
when having nested runs as with metafun in mkii)

so, texexec used to be

   texmfstart texexec

however, nowadays mtxrun is the runner and it replaces texmfstart for
mkii as well and in order to do this, it needs the file database and
that one ends up in the cache so even for mkii there is a cache needed
(when I'm in the mood I'll check the lua texutil variant in which case
we can also kick out ruby which is currently only needed for mkii)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-08-28  6:23           ` Nicola
From: Nicola @ 2010-08-28  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

In article <4C782D26.6040905@wxs.nl>, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> On 27-8-2010 8:17, Nicola wrote:
> > In article
> > <AANLkTimbrXN-YhfA9bqYREjmCfuyEhqXr-+iX6Ne5DFu@mail.gmail.com>,
> >   Mojca Miklavec<mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com>  wrote:
> >
> >> TEXMFCACHE is not used by MKII (neither in pdfTeX nor in XeTeX).
> >
> > Right. I have tried
> >
> > unset TEXMFCACHE
> > texexec hello.tex
> >
> > in the command line and it just runs texexec (as expected).

Sorry, my mistake. If I unset TEXMFCACHE, then mtxrun is run also from
the command line and the behaviour is consistent with what happens from
TeXShop - which, in turn, is consistent with what Hans explains below.

> we used to have texmfstart as script runner (all scripts are located and
> started by a runner which is faster than using some kpse locator esp
> when having nested runs as with metafun in mkii)
>
> so, texexec used to be
>
>    texmfstart texexec
>
> however, nowadays mtxrun is the runner and it replaces texmfstart for
> mkii as well and in order to do this, it needs the file database and
> that one ends up in the cache so even for mkii there is a cache needed
> (when I'm in the mood I'll check the lua texutil variant in which case
> we can also kick out ruby which is currently only needed for mkii)
>
> Hans

Everything is clear now. Thank you!

Nicola