* Help with Times font, footnote symbols and captions
@ 2011-03-25 11:51 Nicola
From: Nicola @ 2011-03-25 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,
a document of mine (compiled with the latest mkiv beta) contains the
following setup:

\usetypescript[times][ec]
\setupbodyfont[times,10pt]
\defineconversion[onlyasterisks][*,*,*,*,*]
\setupnote[footnote][numberconversion=onlyasterisks,bodyfont=9pt]
\setupcaptions[inbetween={\blank[6pt]},width=max,align=middle,style=bold,
suffix={.}]

I have some trouble with the following, however:

1) The asterisks in the footnotes appear in the margin. I can I align
the * below the main text?

2) How can I make the text in the captions at 9pt?

I have checked in the wiki and in the ConTeXt manual, but I cannot do
the above.

Besides, is the used font Times New Roman (sorry for the question, but I
do not have Acrobat installed right now, and I do not know how to check
the font in the pdf file)? If not, how can I use Times New Roman with
mkiv?

Thanks in advance,
Nicola

* Re: Help with Times font, footnote symbols and captions
@ 2011-03-25 11:58 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-03-25 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 12:51 PM, Nicola <nvitacolonna@gmail.com> wrote:
> Besides, is the used font Times New Roman (sorry for the question, but I
> do not have Acrobat installed right now, and I do not know how to check
> the font in the pdf file)? If not, how can I use Times New Roman with
> mkiv?
with latest minimals

%%test.tex
\usetypescript[times][ec]
\setupbodyfont[times,10pt]
\defineconversion[onlyasterisks][*,*,*,*,*]
\setupnote[footnote][numberconversion=onlyasterisks,bodyfont=9pt]
\setupcaptions[inbetween={\blank[6pt]},width=max,align=middle,style=bold,
suffix={.}]

\starttext \input knuth\stoptext

# pdffonts test.pdf
name                                 type              emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
BFWBPQ+TeXGyreTermes-Regular         CID Type 0C       yes yes yes     18  0

Also AdobeReader can show the document fonts.

--
luigi

* Re: Help with Times font, footnote symbols and captions
@ 2011-03-25 12:16   ` Nicola
From: Nicola @ 2011-03-25 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

In article
<AANLkTi=d63VzhDzAy27YOLLyyp-AXrHAUsA4mwx-hYYX@mail.gmail.com>,
 luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> wrote:

> # pdffonts test.pdf

That's great! I didn't know about pdffonts… Well, I don't know much about fonts in general :)
So, now that's quite complicated (for me). This is what I get:

name                                 type              emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
MAYMBF+TeXGyreTermes-Bold            CID Type 0C       yes yes yes     18  0
YYCTGW+TeXGyreTermes-Italic          CID Type 0C       yes yes yes     19  0
MRLZOQ+TeXGyreTermes-Regular         CID Type 0C       yes yes yes     20  0
PJSRME+txsy                          Type 1            yes yes no      29  0
ADYQWN+TeXGyreTermes-Regular         CID Type 0C       yes yes yes     30  0
JHYYBD+TeXGyreTermes-Italic          Type 1            yes yes no      31  0
SDGCFO+rtxmi                         Type 1            yes yes no      32  0
GOISLI+TeXGyreTermes-Regular         CID Type 0C       yes yes yes     33  0
GQGRIV+LMMono10-Regular              CID Type 0C       yes yes yes     37  0
VKFEDD+TimesNewRomanPSMT             TrueType          yes yes no      44  0
WTQJQL+Times-Roman                   TrueType          yes yes no      45  0
WWKUXC+TimesNewRomanPSMT             TrueType          yes yes no      64  0
GFUUDN+TimesNewRomanPSMT             TrueType          yes yes no      79  0
YTRUAX+TimesNewRomanPSMT             TrueType          yes yes no      98  0
UBKRGH+TeXGyreTermes-BoldItalic      CID Type 0C       yes yes yes    113  0
EZQBWI+TimesNewRomanPSMT             TrueType          yes yes no     120  0
YTUNRR+TimesNewRomanPSMT             TrueType          yes yes no     135  0
HMXOTK+TimesNewRomanPSMT             TrueType          yes yes no     150  0
FQSXLW+TimesNewRomanPSMT             TrueType          yes yes no     171  0
UYMOQM+AppleSymbols                  TrueType          yes yes yes    172  0
KKTZRF+TimesNewRomanPSMT             TrueType          yes yes no     193  0
ZTVNCA+Times-Roman                   TrueType          yes yes no     213  0
LWXRQW+TimesNewRomanPSMT             TrueType          yes yes no     214  0

I guess Apple Symbols and txsy are there because of mathematical symbols,
but what about Termes and Times-Roman? Also, is that TimesNewRomanPSMT the “official” Times New Roman,
or a “quasi”-Times? I ask because my publisher seems to have strict font requirements,
and has asked me to check that my paper be entirely in Times New Roman…

@ 2011-03-25 12:20     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-03-25 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 1:16 PM, Nicola <nvitacolonna@gmail.com> wrote:
> I guess Apple Symbols and txsy are there because of mathematical symbols,
> but what about Termes and Times-Roman? Also, is that TimesNewRomanPSMT the “official” Times New Roman,
> or a “quasi”-Times? I ask because my publisher seems to have strict font requirements,
> and has asked me to check that my paper be entirely in Times New Roman…
About termes:
http://www.gust.org.pl/projects/e-foundry/tex-gyre/termes

--
luigi

* Re: Help with Times font, footnote symbols and captions
@ 2011-03-25 12:27 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-03-25 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 25.03.2011 um 12:51 schrieb Nicola:

> Hi,
> a document of mine (compiled with the latest mkiv beta) contains the
> following setup:
>
> \usetypescript[times][ec]
> \setupbodyfont[times,10pt]

\setupbodyfont is enough, you don’t need \usetypescript here and font encoding (i.e. “ec”) are gone.

Wolfgang

* Re: Help with Times font, footnote symbols and captions
@ 2011-03-25 15:57     ` mathew
From: mathew @ 2011-03-25 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 07:16, Nicola <nvitacolonna@gmail.com> wrote:
>I ask because my publisher seems to have strict font requirements,
> and has asked me to check that my paper be entirely in Times New Roman…

Your best bet, then, is to download the MS TT core fonts package.

http://corefonts.sourceforge.net/

That installs 'real' Times New Roman, which you can then use in the usual way.

mathew
[ I'm assuming you're using Linux, because if you're using Windows or
a Mac you should already have Times New Roman installed. ]
--
<URL:http://www.pobox.com/~meta/>

* Re: Help with Times font, footnote symbols and captions
@ 2011-03-25 16:25   ` Nicola
From: Nicola @ 2011-03-25 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

In article <EC21325A-9931-40ED-AC3C-3BA3333B873B@googlemail.com>,
 Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am 25.03.2011 um 12:51 schrieb Nicola:
>
> > Hi,
> > a document of mine (compiled with the latest mkiv beta) contains the
> > following setup:
> >
> > \usetypescript[times][ec]
> > \setupbodyfont[times,10pt]
>
> \setupbodyfont is enough, you don’t need \usetypescript here and font
> encoding (i.e. “ec”) are gone.

Ok. Please bear with me, understanding of font handling mechanisms is still
beyond my reach. This is the best I was able to do so far to use Times New Roman:

\starttypescript [serif] [myfont]
  \definefontsynonym [Serif]           [name:timesnewroman]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifBold]       [name:timesnewromanbold]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic]     [name:timesnewromanitalic]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifSlanted]    [name:timesnewromanitalic]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic] [name:timesnewromanbolditalic]
\stoptypescript
\definetypeface [myfont] [rm] [serif] [myfont]
\definetypeface [myfont] [mm] [math]  [times]
\setupbodyfont[myfont,rm,10pt]

\definefont[FigureCaptionStyle][SerifBold at 9pt]
\setupcaptions[inbetween={\blank[6pt]},width=max,align=middle,style=FigureCaption
Style,suffix={.}]

Is this the mkiv way?

Nicola

ps: for aligning footnote symbols, I have no clue yet.

* Re: Help with Times font, footnote symbols and captions
@ 2011-03-25 16:32     ` Nicola
From: Nicola @ 2011-03-25 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

In article <nvitacolonna-165382.17254325032011@news.gmane.org>,
 Nicola <nvitacolonna@gmail.com> wrote:

> ps: for aligning footnote symbols, I have no clue yet.

Never mind, just stumbled upon \setupnotedefinition in the wiki.

@ 2011-03-25 23:52     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-03-25 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 25.03.2011 um 17:25 schrieb Nicola:

> Ok. Please bear with me, understanding of font handling mechanisms is still
> beyond my reach. This is the best I was able to do so far to use Times New Roman:

Mac:

\usetypescriptfile[type-mac]

\setupbodyfont[timesnewroman]

\starttext
Times New Roman
\stoptext

Windows:

\usetypescriptfile[type-win]

\setupbodyfont[times]

\starttext
Times New Roman
\stoptext

Other (with the ms core fonts package Mathew mentioned):

\setupbodyfont[mscore]

\starttext
Times New Roman
\stoptext

All:

\usemodule[simplefonts]

\setmainfont[Times New Roman]

\starttext
Times New Roman
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Help with Times font, footnote symbols and captions
@ 2011-03-26 11:13       ` Nicola
From: Nicola @ 2011-03-26 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

In article <113278BD-DE8C-4F2A-9311-2C972D0F49D9@googlemail.com>,
 Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Mac:
>
> \usetypescriptfile[type-mac]
>
> \setupbodyfont[timesnewroman]
>
> All:
>
> \usemodule[simplefonts]
>
> \setmainfont[Times New Roman]

That's was I had tried in the first place. But how can I change the math font
then?

* Re: Help with Times font, footnote symbols and captions
@ 2011-03-26 11:32         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-03-26 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 26.03.2011 um 12:13 schrieb Nicola:

> In article <113278BD-DE8C-4F2A-9311-2C972D0F49D9@googlemail.com>,
> Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> \usemodule[simplefonts]
>>
>> \setmainfont[Times New Roman]
>
> That's was I had tried in the first place. But how can I change the math font
> then?

\setmathfont[times]

Wolfgang

* Re: Help with Times font, footnote symbols and captions
@ 2011-03-26 12:11           ` Nicola
From: Nicola @ 2011-03-26 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

In article <76D2E755-4B9C-44C0-9A78-45AB357BF0DC@googlemail.com>,
 Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am 26.03.2011 um 12:13 schrieb Nicola:
>
> > In article <113278BD-DE8C-4F2A-9311-2C972D0F49D9@googlemail.com>,
> > Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> \usemodule[simplefonts]
> >>
> >> \setmainfont[Times New Roman]
> >
> > That's was I had tried in the first place. But how can I change the math
> > font
> > then?
>
> \setmathfont[times]

Embarassingly easy :) But, maybe, that should be mentioned in simplefonts README
and/or added to the wiki.

Thanks to all who replied: my document is now fine and I've learned a bunch of
stuff.

Nicola