* Spacebefore and spaceafter a Float
@ 2018-05-28 13:30 John Grasty
From: John Grasty @ 2018-05-28 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am trying to adjust the space between my tables and the body text. Below is a minimal example. My problem is that I can seem to get the before= or after= to do anything no matter what command I enter. I have also tried spacebefore= and spaceafter=

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Sincerely,
John Grasty

\setupfloat[table][before={\blank[2*big]}]

\setupxtable[frame=off]
\setupxtable[head][topframe=on,bottomframe=on]
\setupxtable[body][]
\setupxtable[foot][bottomframe=on]

\starttext

\input douglas

\startplacetable[title={Cost Overview}]
\startxtable
\startxtablehead[head]
\startxrow
\startxcell[align=right]  \stopxcell
\startxcell[align=right] (\$) \stopxcell
\stopxrow
\stopxtablehead
\startxtablebody[body]
\startxrow
\startxcell[align=right] Lodging \stopxcell
\startxcell[align=right] 150 \stopxcell
\stopxrow
\startxrow
\startxcell[align=right] Fee \stopxcell
\startxcell[align=right] 160 \stopxcell
\stopxrow
\startxrow
\startxcell[align=right] Meals \stopxcell
\startxcell[align=right] 100 \stopxcell
\stopxrow
\startxrow
\startxcell[align=right] Van \stopxcell
\startxcell[align=right] 175 \stopxcell
\stopxrow
\stopxtablebody
\startxtablefoot[foot]
\startxrow
\startxcell[align=right] Other Outings \stopxcell
\startxcell[align=right] 40 \stopxcell
\stopxrow
\stopxtablefoot
\stopxtable
\stopplacetable

\input douglas

\stoptext

* Re: Spacebefore and spaceafter a Float
@ 2018-05-30 15:12 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2018-05-30 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 28 May 2018, John Grasty wrote:

> I am trying to adjust the space between my tables and the body text.
> Below is a minimal example. My problem is that I can seem to get the
> before= or after= to do anything no matter what command I enter. I have
> also tried spacebefore= and spaceafter=

This was crossposted to tex stackexchange where Metafox replied:

<quote>
Some environment with instances let you set certain options only for all
instances and not only a single one, the spacebefore and spaceafter
settings for floats are such a option.

This means only the following setup is possible

\setupfloat
   [spacebefore=2*line,
     spaceafter=2*line]

but not this one where I change only the values for the table instance.

\setupfloat
   [table]
   [spacebefore=2*line,
     spaceafter=2*line]

</quote>

I am curious as to why this design choice was made. Does it make sense to
change these to per-instance (basically change `\rootfloatparameter` with
`floatparameter` in page-flt.mkiv).

Aditya