* xrightarrow is not straight
@ 2018-08-07  8:42 Joshua Moerman
From: Joshua Moerman @ 2018-08-07  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi ConTeXt mailing list,

I am using the extensible arrows and I am not really satisfied with the
looks of it.

The most important issue I have is that the vertical spacing is too much.
You can see this in the attached picture: the left arrow is using
\xrightarrow{\neq a} and the right arrow is using \stackrel{\neq
a}{\longrightarrow}. I think the right one (with stackrel) looks more
natural. Is there a way to setup the vertical spacing?

Another thing I noticed is that the line is not very consistent. This might
be a font issue (I am using Euler). Luckily, the inconsistent overlap is
barely visible when printed.

Thanks again!

Groetjes,
Joshua

[-- Attachment #2: Capture.PNG --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 17454 bytes --]

* Re: xrightarrow is not straight
@ 2018-08-07 15:01 ` Alan Braslau
From: Alan Braslau @ 2018-08-07 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 10:42:01 +0200
"Joshua Moerman" <context@joshuamoerman.nl> wrote:

> Hi ConTeXt mailing list,
>
> I am using the extensible arrows and I am not really satisfied with
> the looks of it.
>
> The most important issue I have is that the vertical spacing is too
> much. You can see this in the attached picture: the left arrow is
> using \xrightarrow{\neq a} and the right arrow is using \stackrel{\neq
> a}{\longrightarrow}. I think the right one (with stackrel) looks more
> natural. Is there a way to setup the vertical spacing?
>
> Another thing I noticed is that the line is not very consistent. This
> might be a font issue (I am using Euler). Luckily, the inconsistent
> overlap is barely visible when printed.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> Groetjes,
> Joshua

Hello,

You can also use MetaPost to render math stackers, rather than relying on TeX constructs and any particular font.

For example:

\useMPlibrary[mat]

\definemathstackers
   [mp]
   [alternative=mp]

\definemathextensible [mp] [leftarrow]          ["2190]
\definemathextensible [mp] [rightarrow]         ["2192]
\definemathextensible [mp] [leftrightarrow]     ["2194]
\definemathextensible [mp] [longleftrightarrow] ["27F7]
\definemathextensible [mp] [rightoverleftarrow] ["21C4]
\definemathextensible [mp] [underbrace]         ["FE3DF]

\setupbodyfont [dejavu-condensed,12pt]

\starttext
$\rightarrow{≠a}$
\stoptext

Furthermore, the MP arrow can be tuned

\startMPinitializations

ahlength := .5EmWidth ;
ahvariant := 1 ; % dimpled straight

\stopMPinitializations

as can line widths, etc.

Alan

* Re: xrightarrow is not straight
@ 2018-08-07 17:04 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2018-08-07 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 7 Aug 2018, Joshua Moerman wrote:

> Another thing I noticed is that the line is not very consistent. This might
> be a font issue (I am using Euler). Luckily, the inconsistent overlap is
> barely visible when printed.

It is a viewer issue. It should also go away if you zoom the pdf.

Aditya

* Re: xrightarrow is not straight
@ 2018-08-07 17:06   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2018-08-07 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 7 Aug 2018, Alan Braslau wrote:

> Hello,
>
> You can also use MetaPost to render math stackers, rather than relying
> on TeX constructs and any particular font.
>
> For example:
>

> \useMPlibrary[mat]
>
> \definemathstackers
>   [mp]
>   [alternative=mp]
>
> \definemathextensible [mp] [leftarrow]          ["2190]
> \definemathextensible [mp] [rightarrow]         ["2192]
> \definemathextensible [mp] [leftrightarrow]     ["2194]
> \definemathextensible [mp] [longleftrightarrow] ["27F7]
> \definemathextensible [mp] [rightoverleftarrow] ["21C4]
> \definemathextensible [mp] [underbrace]         ["FE3DF]
>
> \setupbodyfont [dejavu-condensed,12pt]
>
> \starttext
> $\rightarrow{≠a}$
> \stoptext
>

> Furthermore, the MP arrow can be tuned
>
> \startMPinitializations
>
> ahlength := .5EmWidth ;
> ahvariant := 1 ; % dimpled straight
>
> \stopMPinitializations
>
> as can line widths, etc.

Shouldn't we use a dedicated MP instance for stackers?

Aditya

* Re: xrightarrow is not straight
@ 2018-08-07 17:32     ` Alan Braslau
From: Alan Braslau @ 2018-08-07 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 13:06:23 -0400 (EDT)
Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:

> > Furthermore, the MP arrow can be tuned
> >
> > \startMPinitializations
> >
> > ahlength := .5EmWidth ;
> > ahvariant := 1 ; % dimpled straight
> >
> > \stopMPinitializations
> >
> > as can line widths, etc.
>
> Shouldn't we use a dedicated MP instance for stackers?

MPinitializations are shared by all instances (normally), that is if initializations=yes is set in \defineMPinstance.

Alan

* Re: xrightarrow is not straight
@ 2018-08-08 10:39   ` Joshua Moerman
From: Joshua Moerman @ 2018-08-08 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Alan,

Thanks for the reply! Using \definemathstackers I can set the voffset to adjust the vertical spacing. This is exactly what I needed, thanks!

However, I couldn't use the ahlength variable. I tried different values, but it doesn't seem to change anything (and the current arrowhead is tiny). (Using startMPcode and drawarrow gives a big arrowhead.)
Also I noticed that the content of \rightarrow{...} was not in mathmode, so I tried using middlecommand=\mathermatics (I found this on the wiki and in the docs). But that doesn't change anything. Is this a bug?

Example:

\useMPlibrary[mat]
\definemathstackers [mp]
[alternative=mp, voffset=-.3\mathexheight, middlecommand=\mathematics]
\definemathextensible [mp] [rightarrow] ["2192]

\startMPinitializations
  ahlength  := EmWidth ; % Does not work?
  ahangle   := 30 ;
  ahvariant := 1 ;
  ahdimple  := 4/5 ;
\stopMPinitializations

\setuppapersize[A7]

\starttext
$A \rightarrow{$\neq f$ and $\neq g$} B$

$A \rightarrow{\neq f \text{ and } \neq g} B$ % Is not typeset in mathmode
\stoptext

Thanks in advance,
Kind regards,
Joshua