* IBM Wordcloud with the Filter Module
@ 2019-03-11 12:52 Jeroen
From: Jeroen @ 2019-03-11 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear List,

I am trying to get the IBM wordcloud java application working with the
filter module on MS Windows. This configuration does not create the
wordcloud png file. The in and out files "naamloos-10-temp-wordcloud-x.tmp"
are actually created. If this configuration correct? Java is installed and
I am indicating absolute file locations.

Thanks, Jeroen

\usemodule[filter]

\defineexternalfilter

[wordcloud]

[filtercommand={/Program Files/Java/jre1.8.0_181/bin/java

-jar /context/wordcloud/ibm-word-cloud.jar

-c /context/wordcloud/examples/configuration.txt

-w 800

-h 600

-o \externalfilteroutputfile\space

-i \externalfilterinputfile},

output=\externalfilterbasefile.png,

readcommand=\ExternalFigure,

continue=yes,

purge=no,]

\def\ExternalFigure#1{\externalfigure[#1]}

\starttext

\startwordcloud %[width=100]

Thus, I came to the conclusion that the designer of a new

system must not only be the implementer and first

large||scale user; the designer should also write the first

user manual.

The separation of any of these four components would have

hurt \TeX\ significantly. If I had not participated fully in

all these activities, literally hundreds of improvements

would never have been made, because I would never have

thought of them or perceived why they were important.

But a system cannot be successful if it is too strongly

influenced by a single person. Once the initial design is

complete and fairly robust, the real test begins as people

with many different viewpoints undertake their own

experiments.

\stopwordcloud

\stoptext

* Re: IBM Wordcloud with the Filter Module
@ 2019-03-11 16:54 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2019-03-11 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can you run the java file from the command promt?

Aditya

@ 2019-03-11 20:41   ` Jeroen
From: Jeroen @ 2019-03-11 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes, there is a batch file for testing purposes, and that one works fine....

Thanks, Jeroen

@ 2019-03-12 14:41     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2019-03-12 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019, Jeroen wrote:

> Yes, there is a batch file for testing purposes, and that one works fine....

Two things to try:

1. Add \traceexternalfilters and see if the log shows any error from the
java file.

2. Are you able to run other filters?

Aditya

* Fwd:  IBM Wordcloud with the Filter Module
@ 2019-03-14 14:08       ` Jeroen
From: Jeroen @ 2019-03-14 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am able to run R, asymptote, graphviz, octave, openscad, python and
freecad all on the filter module without problems. The same problem as I
have with wordcloud I have with maxima and geogebra. \traceexternalfilters
isnt giving me a lot. I have tried the following sample1.bat batch file and
it seems to create the wc file from the sample text file that comes with
wordcloud

java

-jar /context/wordcloud/ibm-word-cloud.jar

-c /context/wordcloud/examples/configuration.txt

-w 800

-h 600

< /context/wordcloud/examples/hamlet.txt >

/context/documents/sample1.png

* Re: Fwd: IBM Wordcloud with the Filter Module
@ 2019-03-14 15:32         ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2019-03-14 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 14 Mar 2019, Jeroen wrote:

> I am able to run R, asymptote, graphviz, octave, openscad, python and
> freecad all on the filter module without problems. The same problem as I
> have with wordcloud I have with maxima and geogebra. \traceexternalfilters
> isnt giving me a lot. I have tried the following sample1.bat batch file and
> it seems to create the wc file from the sample text file that comes with
> wordcloud
>
> java
>
> -jar /context/wordcloud/ibm-word-cloud.jar
>
> -c /context/wordcloud/examples/configuration.txt
>
> -w 800
>
> -h 600
>
> < /context/wordcloud/examples/hamlet.txt >
>
> /context/documents/sample1.png

Can you attach your test file and the log file? The email program is
creating line breaks and I am not sure whether that is there in the
original file or not.

The only other thing that I can think of is that some executables are not
in the path when you are running context (depends a bit on the OS and how
context is being run)

Aditya

* Fwd:  Fwd: IBM Wordcloud with the Filter Module
@ 2019-03-14 23:16           ` Jeroen
From: Jeroen @ 2019-03-14 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 12274 bytes --]

I have installed portable java8 in /context/java, so paths will not be
needed when using absolute paths with the commands in these files. When I
execute the following batch file sample2.bat with a command on a single
line, it will create the sample2.png wordcould file as expected in the
/context/documents folder:

/context/java/bin/java -jar /context/wordcloud/ibm-word-cloud.jar -c
/context/wordcloud/examples/configuration.txt -w 800 -h 600 <
/context/wordcloud/examples/hamlet.txt > /context/documents/sample2.png

I now use this test2.tex file with filter with the defineexternalfilter
command on one line without crlf or spaces:

\usemodule[filter]

\defineexternalfilter[wordcloud][filtercommand={/context/java/bin/java -jar
/context/wordcloud/ibm-word-cloud.jar -c
/context/wordcloud/examples/configuration.txt -w 800 -h 600 -o
\externalfilteroutputfile\space -i \externalfilterinputfile},
output=\externalfilterbasefile.png, readcommand=\ExternalFigure,
continue=yes, read=yes, cache=yes, purge=no,]

\def\ExternalFigure#1{\externalfigure[#1]}

\traceexternalfilters

\starttext

\startwordcloud

Een bak cijfers vertalen naar een visuele weergave kan ervoor zorgen dat
statistische data beter gecommuniceerd wordt. Grafieken zijn zoals Tufte
(1997), een bekende auteur op het gebied van analytisch ontwerp, zegt
instruments for reasoning. Voordat het zover is zullen echter eerst een
paar stappen genomen moeten worden. Ervan uitgaande dat de bak met data al
verzameld is moet er gekeken worden welke cijfers met elkaar in verband
kunnen worden gebracht. Is er een ontwikkeling in tijd, zijn er
verschillen, is er een stijgende of dalende lijn in te ontdekken etcetra.
Door deze data te rangschikken en te ordenen kunnen deze patronen zichtbaar
gemaakt worden. Ontwikkelingen, schommelingen hierin, de frequentie
hiervan, onderlinge relaties en een totaaloverzicht kunnen in beeld
gebracht worden.

\stopwordcloud

\stoptext

and the created pdf file states "output file missing", and the following is
the test2.log file content:

open source     > level 1, order 1, name
'C:/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/cont-yes.mkiv'
system          >
system          > ConTeXt  ver: 2018.07.02 14:39 MKIV beta  fmt: 2018.9.28
int: english/english
system          >
system          > 'cont-new.mkiv' loaded
open source     > level 2, order 2, name
'C:/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/cont-new.mkiv'
system          > beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.mkiv
close source    > level 2, order 2, name
'C:/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/cont-new.mkiv'
system          > files > jobname 'test2', input './test2', result 'test2'
fonts           > latin modern fonts are not preloaded
languages       > language 'en' is active
system          > synctex functionality is enabled, expect 5-10 pct runtime
overhead!
open source     > level 2, order 3, name 'C:/context/documents/test2.tex'
modules         > 'filter' is loaded
open source     > level 3, order 4, name
'C:/context/tex/texmf-modules/tex/context/third/filter/t-filter.mkiv'
modules         > 'module-catcodes' is loaded
open source     > level 4, order 5, name
'C:/context/tex/texmf-modules/tex/context/third/filter/t-module-catcodes.mkiv'
close source    > level 4, order 5, name
'C:/context/tex/texmf-modules/tex/context/third/filter/t-module-catcodes.mkiv'
close source    > level 3, order 5, name
'C:/context/tex/texmf-modules/tex/context/third/filter/t-filter.mkiv'
fonts           > preloading latin modern fonts (second stage)
fonts           > defining > source file
'D:/context/tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/lm/lmroman12-regular.otf' is
not found
fonts           > defining > using source file
'C:/context/tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/lm/lmroman12-regular.otf' due
to cache mismatch
fonts           > defining > source file
'D:/context/tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/lm-math/latinmodern-math.otf'
is not found
fonts           > defining > using source file
'C:/context/tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/lm-math/latinmodern-math.otf'
due to cache mismatch
fonts           > 'fallback modern-designsize rm 12pt' is loaded
t-filter        > current filter : wordcloud
t-filter        > base file : test2-temp-wordcloud-0
t-filter        > input file : test2-temp-wordcloud-0.tmp
t-filter        > output file : test2-temp-wordcloud-0.png
t-filter        > command : /context/java/bin/java -jar
/context/wordcloud/ibm-word-cloud.jar -c
/context/wordcloud/examples/configuration.txt -w 800 -h 600 -o
test2-temp-wordcloud-0.png -i test2-temp-wordcloud-0.tmp
t-filter        > state :
t-filter        > cached output file 'test2-temp-wordcloud-0.png' missing.
Rerunning filter
t-filter        > file 'test2-temp-wordcloud-0.png' cannot be found
t-filter        > current filter : wordcloud
t-filter        > base file : test2-temp-wordcloud-0
t-filter        > input file : test2-temp-wordcloud-0.tmp
t-filter        > output file : test2-temp-wordcloud-0.png
backend         > xmp > using file
'C:/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/lpdf-pdx.xml'
pages           > flushing realpage 1, userpage 1, subpage 1
close source    > level 2, order 5, name 'C:/context/documents/test2.tex'
close source    > level 1, order 5, name
'C:/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/cont-yes.mkiv'
system          > start used files
system          > text: test2
system          > stop used files
system          > start used files
system          >    1: filename=char-prv.lua filetype=tex format=tex
foundname=C:/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/char-prv.lua
fullname=C:/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/char-prv.lua
usedmethod=database
system          >    2: filename=cont-yes.mkiv filetype=tex
foundname=C:/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/cont-yes.mkiv
fullname=C:/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/cont-yes.mkiv
usedmethod=database
system          >    3: filename=publ-imp-default.lua filetype=lua
foundname=C:/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/publ-imp-default.lua
fullname=C:/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/publ-imp-default.lua
usedmethod=database
system          >    4: filename=cont-new.mkiv filetype=tex
foundname=C:/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/cont-new.mkiv
fullname=C:/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/cont-new.mkiv
usedmethod=database
system          >    5: filename=lang-exc.lua filetype=lua
foundname=C:/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/lang-exc.lua
fullname=C:/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/lang-exc.lua
usedmethod=database
system          >    6: filename=lang-us.lua filetype=lua
foundname=C:/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/patterns/mkiv/lang-us.lua
fullname=C:/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/patterns/mkiv/lang-us.lua
usedmethod=database
system          >    7: filename=C:\context\documents/test2.tex
foundname=C:/context/documents/test2.tex
fullname=C:/context/documents/test2.tex usedmethod=direct
system          >    8: filename=t-filter.mkiv filetype=tex
foundname=C:/context/tex/texmf-modules/tex/context/third/filter/t-filter.mkiv
fullname=C:/context/tex/texmf-modules/tex/context/third/filter/t-filter.mkiv
usedmethod=database
system          >    9: filename=t-module-catcodes.mkiv filetype=tex
foundname=C:/context/tex/texmf-modules/tex/context/third/filter/t-module-catcodes.mkiv
fullname=C:/context/tex/texmf-modules/tex/context/third/filter/t-module-catcodes.mkiv
usedmethod=database
system          >   10: filename=lm.lfg filetype=tex
foundname=C:/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/fonts/mkiv/lm.lfg
fullname=C:/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/fonts/mkiv/lm.lfg
usedmethod=database
system          >   11: filename=lmroman12-regular filetype=otf format=otf
foundname=C:/context/tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/lm/lmroman12-regular.otf
fullname=C:/context/tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/lm/lmroman12-regular.otf
usedmethod=database
system          >   12: filename=lmroman12-regular.otf
filetype=opentypefonts
foundname=C:/context/tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/lm/lmroman12-regular.otf
fullname=C:/context/tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/lm/lmroman12-regular.otf
usedmethod=database
system          >   13: filename=latinmodern-math.otf
filetype=opentypefonts
foundname=C:/context/tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/lm-math/latinmodern-math.otf
fullname=C:/context/tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/lm-math/latinmodern-math.otf
usedmethod=database
system          >   14: filename=lmmono12-regular filetype=otf format=otf
foundname=C:/context/tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/lm/lmmono12-regular.otf
fullname=C:/context/tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/lm/lmmono12-regular.otf
usedmethod=database
system          >   15: filename=lpdf-pdx.xml filetype=tex
foundname=C:/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/lpdf-pdx.xml
fullname=C:/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/lpdf-pdx.xml
usedmethod=database
system          > stop used files
system          > start commandline options
system          > currentrun="1"
system          > fulljobname="./test2.tex"
system          > input="./test2.tex"
system          > kindofrun="1"
system          > maxnofruns="9"
system          > no-parse-first-line="true"
system          > synctex="true"
system          > stop commandline options
system          > start commandline files
system          >    1: ./test2.tex
system          > stop commandline files
modules         > start used modules
modules         > loaded : *-filter
modules         > loaded : *-module-catcodes
modules         > stop used modules
mkiv lua stats  > used config file: selfautoparent:/texmf/web2c/texmfcnf.lua
mkiv lua stats  > used cache path:
C:/context/tex/texmf-cache/luatex-cache/context/5fe67e0bfe781ce0dde776fb1556f32e
mkiv lua stats  > resource resolver: loadtime 0.011 seconds, 0 scans with
scantime 0.000 seconds, 0 shared scans, 15 found files, scanned paths:
<none>
mkiv lua stats  > stored bytecode data: 424 modules (0.464 sec), 93 tables
(0.030 sec), 517 chunks (0.494 sec)
mkiv lua stats  > traced context: maxstack: 1303, freed: 0, unreachable:
1303
mkiv lua stats  > cleaned up reserved nodes: 59 nodes, 9 lists of 455
mkiv lua stats  > node memory usage: 2 glue, 2 kern, 2 penalty, 11
attribute, 50 glue_spec, 4 attribute_list, 2 temp, 2 user_defined
mkiv lua stats  > node list callback tasks: 7 unique task lists, 6
instances (re)created, 34 calls
mkiv lua stats  > synctex tracing: 2 referenced files, 7 files ignored, 3
objects flushed, logfile: test2.synctex
mkiv lua stats  > used backend: pdf (backend for directly generating pdf
output)
mkiv lua stats  > jobdata time: 0.003 seconds saving, 0.000 seconds loading
mkiv lua stats  > callbacks: internal: 222, file: 776, direct: 8, late: 1,
function 601, total: 1608
mkiv lua stats  > randomizer: resumed with value 0.94168090820313
mkiv lua stats  > loaded tex modules: 2 requested, all found (*-filter
*-module-catcodes)
mkiv lua stats  > loaded patterns: en::2, load time: 0.000
mkiv lua stats  > result saved in file: test2.pdf, compresslevel 3,
objectcompresslevel 3
mkiv lua stats  > loaded fonts: 3 files: latinmodern-math.otf,
lmmono12-regular.otf, lmroman12-regular.otf
mkiv lua stats  > font engine: otf 3.103, afm 1.513, tfm 1.000, 8
instances, 3 shared in backend, 3 common vectors, 0 common hashes, load
time 0.487 seconds
mkiv lua stats  > used platform: win64, type: windows, binary subtree:
texmf-win64
mkiv lua stats  > used engine: luatex version 1.09 with functionality level
6930, banner: this is luatex, version 1.09.0 (tex live 2018/w32tex)
mkiv lua stats  > control sequences: 45247 of 65536 + 100000
mkiv lua stats  > lua properties: engine: lua 5.3, used memory: 100 MB
(ctx: 100 MB), hash type: lua, hash chars: min(32,40), symbol mask: utf
(τεχ)
mkiv lua stats  > runtime: 1.472 seconds, 1 processed pages, 1 shipped
pages, 0.679 pages/second

* Re: Fwd: Fwd: IBM Wordcloud with the Filter Module
@ 2019-03-15  0:56             ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2019-03-15  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019, Jeroen wrote:

> I have installed portable java8 in /context/java, so paths will not be
> needed when using absolute paths with the commands in these files. When I
> execute the following batch file sample2.bat with a command on a single
> line, it will create the sample2.png wordcould file as expected in the
> /context/documents folder:
>
> /context/java/bin/java -jar /context/wordcloud/ibm-word-cloud.jar -c
> /context/wordcloud/examples/configuration.txt -w 800 -h 600 <
> /context/wordcloud/examples/hamlet.txt > /context/documents/sample2.png
>
> I now use this test2.tex file with filter with the defineexternalfilter
> command on one line without crlf or spaces:
>
> fonts           > 'fallback modern-designsize rm 12pt' is loaded
> t-filter        > current filter : wordcloud
> t-filter        > base file : test2-temp-wordcloud-0
> t-filter        > input file : test2-temp-wordcloud-0.tmp
> t-filter        > output file : test2-temp-wordcloud-0.png
> t-filter        > command : /context/java/bin/java -jar
> /context/wordcloud/ibm-word-cloud.jar -c
> /context/wordcloud/examples/configuration.txt -w 800 -h 600 -o
> test2-temp-wordcloud-0.png -i test2-temp-wordcloud-0.tmp
> t-filter        > state :
> t-filter        > cached output file 'test2-temp-wordcloud-0.png' missing.
> Rerunning filter
> t-filter        > file 'test2-temp-wordcloud-0.png' cannot be found
> t-filter        > current filter : wordcloud
> t-filter        > base file : test2-temp-wordcloud-0
> t-filter        > input file : test2-temp-wordcloud-0.tmp
> t-filter        > output file : test2-temp-wordcloud-0.png

Everything looks okay here, so I am not sure what is going wrong. Can you
try if you can run other java programs, perhaps even setting

\usemodule[filter]
\traceexternalfilters
\defineexternalfilter[JAVA][filtercommand=java]

\starttext
\startJAVA
This is a test
\stopJAVA
\stoptext

and check the console output to see if you see messages that java is
running (you should see the standard message about how to use java). If
java is being called correctly, then the error is on the java end of
things and I don't know how to debug that.

Aditya