* name of cache used by mkiv and lmtx
@ 2019-04-06 17:46 Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2019-04-06 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am currently using mkiv and lmtx in parallel and noticed that both use
the same texmf-cache subdirectory. Running:

mtxrun --script cache --list

gives

mtx-cache       | writable path:
/home/adityam/texmf-cache/luatex-cache/context/5fe67e0bfe781ce0dde776fb1556f32e
mtx-cache       |
mtx-cache       | tma   :   59
mtx-cache       | tmc   :   59
mtx-cache       | rest  :   35
mtx-cache       | total :  153
mtx-cache       |

on both distributions. A consequence of this is that whenever I switch
distributeions the font used in the document gets "compiled" and "dumped",
i.e., I get messages:

system          > lua > compiling
'/home/adityam/texmf-cache/luatex-cache/context/5fe67e0bfe781ce0dde776fb1556f32e/fonts/otl/lmroman12-regular.tma'
into
'/home/adityam/texmf-cache/luatex-cache/context/5fe67e0bfe781ce0dde776fb1556f32e/fonts/otl/lmroman12-regular.tmc'
system          > lua > dumping
'/home/adityam/texmf-cache/luatex-cache/context/5fe67e0bfe781ce0dde776fb1556f32e/fonts/otl/lmroman12-regular.tma'
into
'/home/adityam/texmf-cache/luatex-cache/context/5fe67e0bfe781ce0dde776fb1556f32e/fonts/otl/lmroman12-regular.tmc'
stripped
fonts           > otf loading > loading
'/opt/context-minimals/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/lm/lmroman12-regular.otf',
hash 'lmroman12-regular'

Is there a way to avoid that? I can, of course, set different values of
TEXMFCACHE for both distributions, but does it make sense to to use a
different hash (5fe67e...) for the two?

Thanks,
Aditya

* Re: name of cache used by mkiv and lmtx
@ 2019-04-06 18:20 ` Alan Braslau
From: Alan Braslau @ 2019-04-06 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 6 Apr 2019 13:46:57 -0400 (EDT)
Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:

> Is there a way to avoid that? I can, of course, set different values of
> TEXMFCACHE for both distributions, but does it make sense to to use a
> different hash (5fe67e...) for the two?

Why do you set TEXMFCACHE
and not simply keep separate texmf-cache directories
under your lmtx and mkiv CONTEXTROOT directories?

Alan

* Re: name of cache used by mkiv and lmtx
@ 2019-04-06 18:49   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2019-04-06 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 6 Apr 2019, Alan Braslau wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Apr 2019 13:46:57 -0400 (EDT)
> Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to avoid that? I can, of course, set different values of
>> TEXMFCACHE for both distributions, but does it make sense to to use a
>> different hash (5fe67e...) for the two?
>
> Why do you set TEXMFCACHE
> and not simply keep separate texmf-cache directories
> under your lmtx and mkiv CONTEXTROOT directories?

I install both mkiv and lmtx at /opt/... so that the installations can be
shared by multiple users. TEXMFCACHE needs to be writable by the user, so
the natural choice is to set TEXMFCACHE to $HOME/texmf-cache.

@ 2019-04-07 13:06     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2019-04-07 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/6/2019 8:49 PM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Apr 2019, Alan Braslau wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 6 Apr 2019 13:46:57 -0400 (EDT)
>> Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a way to avoid that? I can, of course, set different values of
>>> TEXMFCACHE for both distributions, but does it make sense to to use a
>>> different hash (5fe67e...) for the two?
>>
>> Why do you set TEXMFCACHE
>> and not simply keep separate texmf-cache directories
>> under your lmtx and mkiv CONTEXTROOT directories?
>
> I install both mkiv and lmtx at /opt/... so that the installations can
> be shared by multiple users. TEXMFCACHE needs to be writable by the
> user, so the natural choice is to set TEXMFCACHE to $HOME/texmf-cache.

We only make an engine distinction (luatex luajittex luametatex) in the
format file not in the cache and that is because the formats can differ
but in other places the suffix makes the difference

doing that in the cache in possible but in the end i don't expect one
installation to have both engines because then we might that granularity
in more places

we have tma tmc (lua) tmb (jit) ... one option is to use tmd (or so) for
luametatex but for that we need to adapt some lua code

i'll send you something to test with

Hans

* Re: name of cache used by mkiv and lmtx
@ 2019-04-07 17:04       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2019-04-07 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 7 Apr 2019, Hans Hagen wrote:

> On 4/6/2019 8:49 PM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>> On Sat, 6 Apr 2019, Alan Braslau wrote:

>>> Why do you set TEXMFCACHE
>>> and not simply keep separate texmf-cache directories
>>> under your lmtx and mkiv CONTEXTROOT directories?
>>
>> I install both mkiv and lmtx at /opt/... so that the installations can be
>> shared by multiple users. TEXMFCACHE needs to be writable by the user, so
>> the natural choice is to set TEXMFCACHE to $HOME/texmf-cache.
>
> We only make an engine distinction (luatex luajittex luametatex) in the
> format file not in the cache and that is because the formats can differ but
> in other places the suffix makes the difference
>
> doing that in the cache in possible but in the end i don't expect one
> installation to have both engines because then we might that granularity in
> more places

Ok.

> we have tma tmc (lua) tmb (jit) ... one option is to use tmd (or so) for
> luametatex but for that we need to adapt some lua code

There is really no need to introduce more complexity into the code. As I
said, it is straight forward for me to use different cache directories for
mkiv and lmtx.

Thanks,
Aditya