* overfull message
@ 2020-07-03 12:53 Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2020-07-03 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

I would very much like to get rid of the overfull hbox messages in the log. They clutter the log and I have not much use for them
Setting \hbadness to a large enough value should suppress them below the threshold. But this does not happen. At least not in the minimal example  enclosed herby.

Is there a remedy making these messages disappear from the log?

dr. Hans van der Meer

[-- Attachment #1.2.1: Type: text/html, Size: 1551 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2.2: hbadness.tex --]

\starttext
contextversie: \contextversion\blank
\midaligned{\bf Testing \type{\hbadness}}\blank
Default value of \type{\hbadness} = \the\hbadness\crlf
\hbox to2cm{Overfull hbox}\crlf
The log: \type{\hbox (11.94066pt too wide) detected at line 5}\blank

\hbadness=10000\relax
New value of \type{\hbadness} = \the\hbadness{} (larger values no effect)\crlf
\hbox to2cm{Overfull hbox}\crlf
The log: \type{\hbox (11.94066pt too wide) detected at line 10}\blank
Question: Why is the log message not suppressed because of hbadness?
No value of hbadness makes the comlaint disappear, not even 100000 or 1000000.
\stoptext

[-- Attachment #1.2.3: Type: text/html, Size: 1055 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2.4: hbadness.pdf --]

[-- Attachment #1.2.5: Type: text/html, Size: 226 bytes --]

* Re: overfull message
@ 2020-07-03 13:23 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2020-07-03 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

\hbadness affects reports on stretched/shrunk box glue, but not
overfull boxes. You need \hfuzz for that

\hfuzz = 12pt

Best wishes,
Taco

> On 3 Jul 2020, at 14:53, Hans van der Meer <havdmeer@ziggo.nl> wrote:
>
> I would very much like to get rid of the overfull hbox messages in the log. They clutter the log and I have not much use for them
> Setting \hbadness to a large enough value should suppress them below the threshold. But this does not happen. At least not in the minimal example  enclosed herby.
>
> Is there a remedy making these messages disappear from the log?
>
> dr. Hans van der Meer
> <hbadness.tex>
> <hbadness.pdf>

Taco Hoekwater
Elvenkind BV

* Re: overfull message
@ 2020-07-03 14:35   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2020-07-03 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 3 Jul 2020, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> \hbadness affects reports on stretched/shrunk box glue, but not
> overfull boxes. You need \hfuzz for that
>
> \hfuzz = 12pt

Or, for something more drastic:

\dontcomplain

Aditya