* troubles with \enablemode
@ 2020-10-30 18:26 Damien Thiriet
From: Damien Thiriet @ 2020-10-30 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi @list,

I don't fully understand the \enablemode mechanism. Given this MWE:

\startmode[test]
\setupframedtext [foregroundcolor=white,style={\tfa}]
\stopmode

\starttext
\startframedtext
ceci est un texte
\stopframedtext
\enablemode [test]
\startframedtext
ceci est un texte
\stopframedtext
\stoptext

I cannot see the expected effect when I compile, that is both texts are
in black. When I compile with
context --mode=test
both framed texts are in white, which is what I expect.

What did I miss?

Best regards,

Damien Thiriet

* Re: troubles with \enablemode
@ 2020-10-30 18:39 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2020-10-30 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 30.10.2020 um 19:26 schrieb Damien Thiriet <damien@thiriet.web4me.fr>:
> I don't fully understand the \enablemode mechanism. Given this MWE:
>
> \startmode[test]
> \setupframedtext [foregroundcolor=white,style={\tfa}]
> \stopmode
>

> \starttext
> \startframedtext
> ceci est un texte
> \stopframedtext
> \enablemode [test]
> \startframedtext
> ceci est un texte
> \stopframedtext
> \stoptext
>
> I cannot see the expected effect when I compile, that is both texts are
> in black. When I compile with
> context --mode=test
> both framed texts are in white, which is what I expect.
>
> What did I miss?

The processing is more or less sequential, i.e. if you activate your test mode in the middle of the text, the setup isn’t involved.
If you call ConTeXt with the mode switch, the mode is enabled from the start, and only then your setup is executed.

Hraban

* Re: troubles with \enablemode
@ 2020-10-30 18:49 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2020-10-30 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 30 Oct 2020, Damien Thiriet wrote:

> Hi @list,
>

> I don't fully understand the \enablemode mechanism. Given this MWE:
>

> \startmode[test]
> \setupframedtext [foregroundcolor=white,style={\tfa}]
> \stopmode
>

> \starttext
> \startframedtext
> ceci est un texte
> \stopframedtext
> \enablemode [test]
> \startframedtext
> ceci est un texte
> \stopframedtext
> \stoptext
>
> I cannot see the expected effect when I compile, that is both texts are
> in black. When I compile with
> context --mode=test
> both framed texts are in white, which is what I expect.
>
> What did I miss?

When the compilation starts and context reads the line \startmode[test], the mode is not enabled, so the rest of the block is discarded. When you get to do enable the mode, it is too late. TeX does not do backtracking while compiling a document. Depending on what exactly you want, you could use:

    \startsetups[test]
    \stopsetups

    \setups{test}

Or perhaps even (untested)

    \setupframedtext[foregroundcolor={\doifmode{test}{white}}, style={\tfa}]

Aditya