* styling part of an index entry
@ 2021-01-07 22:29 jbf
From: jbf @ 2021-01-07 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm wondering if further progress has been made in Mk IV on styling
parts of an index (register) entry? I have followed the explanation on
the wiki, but do not seem to be able to achieve what I need.

And what I need is to be able to italicise entries that refer to
newspaper names, e.g. The Observer

MWE

\defineregister[myindex]
\defineprocessor[style][style=italic]

\starttext

In \myindex{style->Observer, The} {\em The Observer} of 31 July 2018

\stoptext

The only result I am getting is:

->Observer, The   223

But what I want is /Observer, The/ (in other words, in italics).

Clearly I am doing something wrong, or not enough, or... maybe there is
another way to achieve waht I need?

Julian

* Re: styling part of an index entry
@ 2021-01-07 22:46 ` Jairo A. del Rio
From: Jairo A. del Rio @ 2021-01-07 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi. In latest LMTX (2021.01.07 16:59), your example works as expected:

\defineregister[myindex]

\defineprocessor[style][style=italic]%Isn't another name available?

\starttext

In \myindex{style->Observer, The}{\em The Observer} of 31 July 2018

\placemyindex%

\stoptext

Jairo

@ 2021-01-07 23:01   ` jbf
From: jbf @ 2021-01-07 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Jairo, with some tweaking I now have it working ( I had
\placeindex instead of \placemyindex! And altered the 'style' name to
something else as you hinted I should).

Now, this might be asking too much of ConTeXt, but some Newspaper names
don't italicise the 'The', only the main name. Is it possible, do you
think, to get the -> operator to work only on, say 'Observer' and not
'The', and for that matter not on the page number as well? Perhaps not,
but worth asking the question anyway!

Julian

From: jbf @ 2021-01-07 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2021-01-08  1:19     ` Jairo A. del Rio
From: Jairo A. del Rio @ 2021-01-08  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oh, I would do it another way, as processors aren't very happy with
commands which split "strings". The drawback of my quick and dirty method
is the need for additional commands, but I hope this will be useful.

\defineregister[myindex]

%Sorry for the funny names

\def\myindexspaced#1{%

\splitstring{#1}\at{ }\to\myindexoneone\and\myindexonetwo%

\myindex[\myindexonetwo,\myindexoneone]{\myindexonetwo,\space\emph{\myindexoneone}}%

}

\def\myindexcomma#1{%

\splitstring{#1}\at,\to\myindextwoone\and\myindextwotwo%

\myindex[#1]{\myindextwoone,\emph{\myindextwotwo}}%

}

\starttext

In \myindexspaced{The Observer}{\em The Observer} of 31 July 2018...

In \myindexcomma{Onion, The}{\em The Onion} of 31 July 2018...

\placemyindex%

\stoptext

Maybe someone else in the list has a cleaner alternative?

Cordially,

Jairo

@ 2021-01-08  1:56       ` jbf
From: jbf @ 2021-01-08  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Very useful!  And I'll be on the lookout for a newspaper called The
Onion :-) one that I presume would bring you to tears.

And yes, had discovered that processors don't like split 'strings'!! But
I would never have worked out your definition on my own, but it offers
me ideas for other variations on the them. Many thanks

Julian

@ 2021-01-08  4:45         ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2021-01-08  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)