From: Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
To: Thangalin via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
Cc: Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu>
Subject: Re: Syntax highlighting using LMTX
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2021 12:07:17 -0500 (EST)	[thread overview]

On Thu, 2 Dec 2021, Thangalin via ntg-context wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> There are a few technical hurdles with using the t-vim module in LMTX.
> First, users need to install the module using externally defined shell
> scripts. Second, it's awkward to communicate to users how to install it,
> especially for Windows users. Third, it likely requires installing vim, as
> a separate step. Fourth, making general-purpose XML setups that optionally
> rely on syntax highlighting when it is an optional install is a little
> laborious.
>
> If installing a module was as easy as "install.sh --module=t-vim" then that
> would leap over most hurdles.

You can always install manually as follows:

cd $TEXMFHOME
wget https://mirrors.ctan.org/macros/context/contrib/context-{filter,vim}.zip
unzip context-{filter,vim}.zip

> Although there'd still be a dependency on installing vim.

Yes, that's a trade-off that the vim module makes. But, last time I used Windows (some 10 years ago), installing vim was relatively easy. Download the install from vim's website, and click next a couple of times.

> How would you go about creating a syntax highlighter for Java that can work
> with LMTX?

I'll let others answer that. Had I known that, I wouldn't have written a module to do syntax highlighting :-) In the end, it also depends on how refined a syntax highlighter you want. Writing a simple keyword based highlighter is relatively easy. See, for example, scite-context-lexer-cpp.lua in the distribution, which is based on the CPP lexer in scite.

Aditya