* Merging two lua tables
@ 2022-08-29 12:20 Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context
From: Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context @ 2022-08-29 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

How do I merge two lua tables? I believe that table.merge or table.merged should do the trick, but I cannot figure out how to use them.

```
local t1 = { 1, 2 }
local t2 = { 8, 9 }

local m1 = {}
table.merge(m1,t1, t2)
table.print(m1)

local m2 = table.merged(t1, t2)
table.print(m2)
```

Processing the file with context filename shows that both m1 and m2 are {8, 9}. What am I missing.

Thanks,
Aditya

* Re: Merging two lua tables
@ 2022-08-29 12:29 ` Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context
From: Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context @ 2022-08-29 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context; +Cc: Aditya Mahajan

On Mon, 29 Aug 2022, Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How do I merge two lua tables? I believe that table.merge or table.merged should do the trick, but I cannot figure out how to use them.
>
> ```
> local t1 = { 1, 2 }
> local t2 = { 8, 9 }
>
> local m1 = {}
> table.merge(m1,t1, t2)
> table.print(m1)
>
> local m2 = table.merged(t1, t2)
> table.print(m2)
> ```
>
> Processing the file with context filename shows that both m1 and m2 are {8, 9}. What am I missing.

Looking at the code, I see what is happening. table.merge(d) assume that the tables are key-value tables so the keys of the first table are silently overwritten by the send. I guess, I'll have to write my own function to merge "array" tables.

Aditya

* Re: Merging two lua tables
@ 2022-08-29 14:28 ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2022-08-29 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 8/29/2022 2:20 PM, Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How do I merge two lua tables? I believe that table.merge or table.merged should do the trick, but I cannot figure out how to use them.
>
> ```
> local t1 = { 1, 2 }
> local t2 = { 8, 9 }
>
> local m1 = {}
> table.merge(m1,t1, t2)
> table.print(m1)
>
> local m2 = table.merged(t1, t2)
> table.print(m2)
> ```
>
> Processing the file with context filename shows that both m1 and m2 are {8, 9}. What am I missing.
table.imerge(m1,t1, t2)

* Re: Merging two lua tables
@ 2022-08-29 17:33   ` BPJ via ntg-context
From: BPJ via ntg-context @ 2022-08-29 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

I use the attached Lua function to merge array, map and mixed tables alike
(but differently! :-) The trick is to check if each key is numeric or not,
append if it is and overwrite if it isn't.

This function just ignores non-table arguments because that is what I
usually want. You may want to throw an error instead. Also it uses
table.pack. You might need to use `tab = {...}` and ipairs, or implement
pack:

``````lua
local function pack (...)
  return { n = select('#', ...), ... }
end
``````

Den mån 29 aug. 2022 14:32Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
skrev:

> On Mon, 29 Aug 2022, Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > How do I merge two lua tables? I believe that table.merge or
> table.merged should do the trick, but I cannot figure out how to use them.
> >
> > ```
> > local t1 = { 1, 2 }
> > local t2 = { 8, 9 }
> >
> > local m1 = {}
> > table.merge(m1,t1, t2)
> > table.print(m1)
> >
> > local m2 = table.merged(t1, t2)
> > table.print(m2)
> > ```
> >
> > Processing the file with context filename shows that both m1 and m2 are
> {8, 9}. What am I missing.
>
> Looking at the code, I see what is happening. table.merge(d) assume that
> the tables are key-value tables so the keys of the first table are silently
> overwritten by the send. I guess, I'll have to write my own function to
> merge "array" tables.
>
> Aditya

[-- Attachment #2: table-merge.lua --]

local function merge_tables (...)
  tab = table.pack(...)
  rv  = {}
  for i=1,tab.n do
    -- Is it a table? Ignore if not!
    if 'table' == type(tab[i]) then
      for k,v in pairs(tab[i]) do
        -- Is the key a number?
        if 'number' == type(k) then
          -- Append it!
          rv[#rv+1] = v
        else
          -- Non-numeric key: overwrite value
          rv[k] = v
        end
      end
    end
  end
  return rv
end

dump = require"pl.pretty".dump

tab_a = {
  'a', 'b', 'c',
  foo = 'A',
  bar = 'B',
  baz = 'C',
}

tab_b = {
  'd', 'e', 'f',
  baz = 'D',
  bop = 'E',
  fop = 'F',
}

merged = merge_tables(tab_a, 'quux', tab_b, 0.0)

dump(merged)

* Re: Merging two lua tables
@ 2022-08-29 18:10     ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2022-08-29 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 8/29/2022 7:33 PM, BPJ via ntg-context wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use the attached Lua function to merge array, map and mixed tables alike
> (but differently! :-) The trick is to check if each key is numeric or not,
> append if it is and overwrite if it isn't.

you really want something like this then:

local  tab = table.pack(...)
local  rv  = {}

> This function just ignores non-table arguments because that is what I
> usually want. You may want to throw an error instead. Also it uses
> table.pack. You might need to use `tab = {...}` and ipairs, or implement
> pack:
I might add table.himerged (hash and index) but slightly different (and
some 30% faster) to util-tab but i think merging mixed hash/indexed
tables is rare.

Hans

* Re: Merging two lua tables
@ 2022-08-30  5:52   ` Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context
From: Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context @ 2022-08-30  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Hagen via ntg-context; +Cc: Aditya Mahajan

On Mon, 29 Aug 2022, Hans Hagen via ntg-context wrote:

> On 8/29/2022 2:20 PM, Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > How do I merge two lua tables? I believe that table.merge or table.merged
> should do the trick, but I cannot figure out how to use them.
> >
> > ```
> > local t1 = { 1, 2 }
> > local t2 = { 8, 9 }
> >
> > local m1 = {}
> > table.merge(m1,t1, t2)
> > table.print(m1)
> >
> > local m2 = table.merged(t1, t2)
> > table.print(m2)
> > ```
> >
> > Processing the file with context filename shows that both m1 and m2 are {8,
> 9}. What am I missing.
> table.imerge(m1,t1, t2)

Ah, thanks!

Aditya

* Re: Merging two lua tables
@ 2022-08-30  8:56       ` BPJ via ntg-context
From: BPJ via ntg-context @ 2022-08-30  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Den mån 29 aug. 2022 20:13Hans Hagen via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
skrev:

> On 8/29/2022 7:33 PM, BPJ via ntg-context wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I use the attached Lua function to merge array, map and mixed tables
> alike
> > (but differently! :-) The trick is to check if each key is numeric or
> not,
> > append if it is and overwrite if it isn't.
>
> you really want something like this then:
>
> local  tab = table.pack(...)
> local  rv  = {}

Thanks. I was manually translating from MoonScript (https://moonscript.org)
where variables are local by default.

> > This function just ignores non-table arguments because that is what I
> > usually want. You may want to throw an error instead. Also it uses
> > table.pack. You might need to use `tab = {...}` and ipairs, or implement
> > pack:
> I might add table.himerged (hash and index) but slightly different (and
> some 30% faster) to util-tab but i think merging mixed hash/indexed
> tables is rare.
>
> Hans

* Re: Merging two lua tables
@ 2022-08-30 10:08         ` BPJ via ntg-context