From: "Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد" <Idris.Hamid@colostate.edu>
	"Hans Hagen" <j.hagen@xs4all.nl>
Subject: Re: Converting footnotes to endnotes
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2021 13:51:33 -0600	[thread overview]

On Fri, 04 Jun 2021 12:06:31 -0600, Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On 6/3/2021 10:09 PM, Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد wrote:
>> Dear gang,
>>  Generally, I do not use endnotes - see Robert Bringhurst's criticisms
>> of endnotes in typography - but a publisher is demanding them.
>> Converting footnotes to endnotes must be quite simple yet I'm missing
>> it:
> Ah ... those publishers ... so you still need their demands? They should
> be glad that they get ready typeset books (I bet they often don't do a
> better job themselves, maybe aven introduce errors in the complex things
> you do).

The main publishers are constituted by a multiplicity of bureaucracies
where the left hand hardly knows what the right hand is doing. No amount
of reasoning can get through to these people. And if you're working with
an intermediate editor of a book, the situation is beyond hopeless.

> I thought they keyed it into word eventually anyway.

Yep. Luigi and I spent considerable time on a ConTeXt => Word workflow,
but what was so far accomplished is not sufficiently general; it needs
more work before it is useful enough to be released.

Unfortunately, not even ConTeXt'ers have expressed much interest,
otherwise would suggest releasing it as a community project..

So I'm caught between academia (Word or, occasionally, LaTeX) and my
strong preference for and investment in ConTeXt..

> End notes are definitely handier when they outsource I guess. Does that
> mean no more critical editions?

Critical editions with apparatus converted to endnotes? Never!

> I admit that I do like endnotes more than footnotes when they for
> instance contain some more about the origin of some idea (or so) and
> suggest further reading ... (1) then i can read them all in one go (if I
> want) and (2) it's kind of a test if one can remember what it points
> back to.

Hm, this would make for an interesting discussion. I suppose if a set of
endnotes (to a chapter, say, or a book) are written in a manner such that,
in the spirit of your 1) they form a single whole, then sure, why not? But
if that's the case, I would probably prefer an explicit, structured
appendix to endnotes.

As for your 2), have always found going back or forth annoying - which
takes me back to Bringhurst's rule..

--
Idris Samawi Hamid, Professor
Department of Philosophy