* Editor's Symbols?
@ 2007-11-11 16:18 Alex K
From: Alex K @ 2007-11-11 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi all,

I'm pretty much a new user to ConTeXt and actually any form of TeX, so forgive me if my question sounds ignorant. Is there any way to format editor's symbols (like those used for demonstration in grammatical textbooks) in a block of text using ConTeXt or LaTeX (preferably with the former)? If not, then does anyone know how I might do this some other way besides actually writing it out by hand?

Thanks for your help!

Alex

http://mail.yahoo.com

* Re: Editor's Symbols?
@ 2007-11-11 16:59 ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2007-11-11 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 09:18:19 -0700, Alex K <pickle.frog@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm pretty much a new user to ConTeXt and actually any form of TeX, so
> forgive me if my question sounds ignorant. Is there any way to format
> editor's symbols (like those used for demonstration in grammatical
> textbooks) in a block of text using ConTeXt or LaTeX (preferably with
> the former)? If not, then does anyone know how I might do this some
> other way besides actually writing it out by hand?

Forgive me, but could you be more specific? Do you have any links to
examples of these symbols, etc.? Are they encoded in Unicode?

Best
Idris

International Journal of Shi`i Studies
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: Editor's Symbols?
@ 2007-11-11 21:24 ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2007-11-11 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 14:09:50 -0700, Alex K <pickle.frog@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Here's an example:
>
> http://www.colorado.edu/Publications/styleguide/symbols.html
>
> I've seen these printed (not handwritten) in grammar guides, so I was
> wondering if formatting them with TeX was possible at all.

Look at the U-2000 encoding block; you will find at least one character
available, ⁁ (U-2041), the caret-insertion mark. What's not covered by
Unicode would need a package (or at least a few definitions), perhaps
based on metapost. I am not aware of any such package for context; have no
info about latex.

Best wishes

@ 2007-11-11 21:09 Alex K
From: Alex K @ 2007-11-11 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Here's an example:

http://www.colorado.edu/Publications/styleguide/symbols.html

I've seen these printed (not handwritten) in grammar guides, so I was wondering if formatting them with TeX was possible at all.

Thanks,

Alex