* strutted pars?
@ 2007-12-27 21:20 Idris Samawi Hamid
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2007-12-27 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear gang,

We can use \struttedbox to force an eg, large expression to obey the
surrounding interlinespace:

=======================
{blah blah \struttedbox{\tfc blah blah}} blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
\struttedbox{\tfc blah blah}} blah blah blah blah blah blah
=======================

but this has the drawback that the box cannot be broken across lines. Is
there a way to force the interlinespace to remain constant and ignore the
size of grouped insertions with big font sizes?

Best wishes
Idris

International Journal of Shi`i Studies
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: strutted pars?
@ 2007-12-28  8:28 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-12-28  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
> Dear gang,
>
> We can use \struttedbox to force an eg, large expression to obey the
> surrounding interlinespace:
>
> =======================
> {blah blah \struttedbox{\tfc blah blah}} blah blah blah blah blah blah
> blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
> \struttedbox{\tfc blah blah}} blah blah blah blah blah blah
> =======================
>
> but this has the drawback that the box cannot be broken across lines. Is
> there a way to force the interlinespace to remain constant and ignore the
> size of grouped insertions with big font sizes?

\dontleavehmode \begstrut bla bla \endstrut \par

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: strutted pars?
@ 2007-12-28  8:40 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-12-28  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
> Dear gang,
>
> We can use \struttedbox to force an eg, large expression to obey the
> surrounding interlinespace:
>
> =======================
> {blah blah \struttedbox{\tfc blah blah}} blah blah blah blah blah blah
> blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
> \struttedbox{\tfc blah blah}} blah blah blah blah blah blah
> =======================

That was a bad example, just try it :-)

> but this has the drawback that the box cannot be broken across lines. Is
> there a way to force the interlinespace to remain constant and ignore the
> size of grouped insertions with big font sizes?

Are you talking about a controlled environment here? In the general
case, this can't be done. But if you have a chuck of well-controlled
text, there is a trick:

\lineskiplimit=-10000pt
blaq blaq {\tfc blaq blaq} blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq
blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq
{\tfc blaq blaq} blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: strutted pars?
@ 2007-12-28  8:41 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-12-28  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 14:20:22 -0700
"Idris Samawi Hamid" <ishamid@colostate.edu> wrote:

> Dear gang,
>
> We can use \struttedbox to force an eg, large expression to obey the
> surrounding interlinespace:
>
> =======================
> {blah blah \struttedbox{\tfc blah blah}} blah blah blah blah blah blah
> blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
> \struttedbox{\tfc blah blah}} blah blah blah blah blah blah
> =======================
>
> but this has the drawback that the box cannot be broken across lines. Is
> there a way to force the interlinespace to remain constant and ignore the
> size of grouped insertions with big font sizes?
>
> Best wishes
> Idris

\starttext

%\lineskiplimit=0pt
\lineskip=0pt

blah blah {\tfc blah blah} blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
{\tfc blah blah} blah blah blah blah blah blah

\stoptext

Is this what you want?

Wolfgang

* Re: strutted pars?
@ 2007-12-28 16:02   ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2007-12-28 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 01:40:50 -0700, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com>
wrote:

> That was a bad example, just try it :-)

Ok, better example attached :-)

> But if you have a chuck of well-controlled text, there is a trick:

> \lineskiplimit=-10000pt
> blaq blaq {\tfc blaq blaq} blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq
> blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq
> {\tfc blaq blaq} blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 01:41:35 -0700, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> %\lineskiplimit=0pt
> \lineskip=0pt
>
> blah blah {\tfc blah blah} blah blah blah blah blah blah
> blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
> {\tfc blah blah} blah blah blah blah blah blah

I have attached a file and pdf that illustrate all four scenarios; none of
the above solutions seems to work, but maybe I need to tinker with the
def's in test-strut.tex.

For my purposes Hans' approach is the most useful (if we can make it work)
because otherwise it makes me have to do more copy-editing of paragraphs
and I might miss some (based on Taco's observation it is probably not wise
to make this global).

Best wishes
Idris

International Journal of Shi`i Studies
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

[-- Attachment #2: test-strut.pdf --]

[-- Attachment #3: test-strut.tex --]

* Re: strutted pars?
@ 2007-12-28 16:07     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-12-28 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 01:28:23 -0700, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
>> \dontleavehmode \begstrut bla bla \endstrut \par
>
> On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 01:40:50 -0700, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com>
> wrote:
>
>> That was a bad example, just try it :-)
>
> Ok, better example attached :-)

There should be a \par or empty line before those \stop commands,
otherwise none of the paragraph-based tricks work.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: strutted pars?
@ 2007-12-28 16:21       ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2007-12-28 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 09:07:39 -0700, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com>
wrote:

> There should be a \par or empty line before those \stop commands,
> otherwise none of the paragraph-based tricks work.

Ok, yours works now, but not Wolfgang's or Hans'. Wolfgang's is
essentially the same idea as yours so that's fine but if we could just get
the Hans approach to work...

@ 2007-12-28 16:39         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-12-28 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 09:07:39 -0700, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com>
> wrote:
>
>> There should be a \par or empty line before those \stop commands,
>> otherwise none of the paragraph-based tricks work.
>
> Ok, yours works now, but not Wolfgang's or Hans'. Wolfgang's is
> essentially the same idea as yours so that's fine but if we could just get
> the Hans approach to work...

\unexpanded\def\Idrisized#1%
   {\begingroup
    \let\processword\struttedbox
    \processwords{#1}%
    \endgroup}

blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq \Idrisized{\tfc blaq blaq blaq
blaq blaq blaq} blaq blaq blaq blaq \Idrisized{\tfc blaq blaq} blaq blaq
blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq  blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq
blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: strutted pars?
@ 2007-12-28 18:20           ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2007-12-28 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 09:39:56 -0700, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> \unexpanded\def\Idrisized#1%
>    {\begingroup
>     \let\processword\struttedbox
>     \processwords{#1}%
>     \endgroup}
> blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq \Idrisized{\tfc blaq blaq blaq
> blaq blaq blaq} blaq blaq blaq blaq \Idrisized{\tfc blaq blaq} blaq blaq
> blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq  blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq
> blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq

Thank you a million, Hans!

And thank you, Taco and Wolfgang, for enriching my bag of tricks. You are
all the best!

@ 2007-12-28 19:10           ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2007-12-28 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 09:39:56 -0700, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> \unexpanded\def\Idrisized#1%
>    {\begingroup
>     \let\processword\struttedbox
>     \processwords{#1}%
>     \endgroup}
> blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq \Idrisized{\tfc blaq blaq blaq
> blaq blaq blaq} blaq blaq blaq blaq \Idrisized{\tfc blaq blaq} blaq blaq
> blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq  blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq
> blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq

Hmm, there is a bug, unfortunately: Only the first word in #1 is
processed, the rest are ignored. Adding grouping causes the argument to be
treated as a box and the desired effect is lost. (pdf attached).

Best
Idris

=====================================
% engine=luatex

\starttext

  \start

\unexpanded\def\Idrisized#1%
    {\begingroup
     \let\processword\struttedbox
     \processwords{#1}%
     \endgroup}

blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq \Idrisized{\tfc blaq blaq blaq
blaq blaq blaq} blaq blaq blaq blaq \Idrisized{\tfc blaq blaq} blaq blaq
blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq  blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq
blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq

\blank

blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq \Idrisized{{\tfc blaq blaq blaq
blaq blaq blaq}} blaq blaq blaq blaq \Idrisized{{\tfc blaq blaq}} blaq blaq
blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq  blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq
blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq

  \stop

\stoptext
=====================================

International Journal of Shi`i Studies
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

[-- Attachment #2: test-strut2.pdf --]

* Re: strutted pars?
@ 2007-12-28 20:34             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-12-28 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 09:39:56 -0700, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
>> \unexpanded\def\Idrisized#1%
>>    {\begingroup
>>     \let\processword\struttedbox
>>     \processwords{#1}%
>>     \endgroup}
>> blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq \Idrisized{\tfc blaq blaq blaq
>> blaq blaq blaq} blaq blaq blaq blaq \Idrisized{\tfc blaq blaq} blaq blaq
>> blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq  blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq
>> blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq
>
> Hmm, there is a bug, unfortunately: Only the first word in #1 is
> processed, the rest are ignored. Adding grouping causes the argument to
> be treated as a box and the desired effect is lost. (pdf attached).

\unexpanded\def\Idrisized#1#2%
    {\begingroup#1%
     \let\processword\struttedbox
     \processwords{#2}%
     \endgroup}

blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq \Idrisized\tfb{blaq blaq blaq
blaq blaq blaq} blaq blaq blaq blaq \Idrisized\tfb{blaq blaq} blaq blaq
blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq  blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq
blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq

> Best
> Idris
>
> =====================================
> % engine=luatex
>
> \starttext
>
>  \start
>
> \unexpanded\def\Idrisized#1%
>    {\begingroup
>     \let\processword\struttedbox
>     \processwords{#1}%
>     \endgroup}
>
> blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq \Idrisized{\tfc blaq blaq blaq
> blaq blaq blaq} blaq blaq blaq blaq \Idrisized{\tfc blaq blaq} blaq blaq
> blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq  blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq
> blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq
>
> \blank
>
> blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq \Idrisized{{\tfc blaq blaq blaq
> blaq blaq blaq}} blaq blaq blaq blaq \Idrisized{{\tfc blaq blaq}} blaq blaq
> blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq  blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq
> blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq blaq
>
>  \stop
>
> \stoptext

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl