* symbols in luatex?
@ 2008-01-02 11:26 Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-01-02 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

first, a very happy new year 2008 to all of you! May ConTeXt continue
to prosper and develop at a brisk pace :-)

What better way to start the new year than asking a stupid question on
the list? Here comes: I must be missing something really obvious here.
I have a font (otf) with a number of (metrical) symbols which I use in
a module. In mkii, I defined an encoding within this module to address
the symbols:

\startencoding[metr]
\definecharacter metricbreve 66
\stopencoding

so I can use the symbold with \metricbreve. Works great in mkii. But
how do I do this in mkiv, which doesn't seem to read and use the
encoding anymore?

All best

Thomas

* Re: symbols in luatex?
@ 2008-01-02 11:42 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-01-02 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> first, a very happy new year 2008 to all of you! May ConTeXt continue
> to prosper and develop at a brisk pace :-)
>
> What better way to start the new year than asking a stupid question on
> the list? Here comes: I must be missing something really obvious here.
> I have a font (otf) with a number of (metrical) symbols which I use in
> a module. In mkii, I defined an encoding within this module to address
> the symbols:
>
> \startencoding[metr]
> \definecharacter metricbreve 66
> \stopencoding
>
> so I can use the symbold with \metricbreve. Works great in mkii. But
> how do I do this in mkiv, which doesn't seem to read and use the
> encoding anymore?

\startencoding[default]

probably still works (may change in favor of virtual fonts)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: symbols in luatex?
@ 2008-01-02 13:04   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-01-02 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 2, 2008, at 12:42 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> \startencoding[default]
>
> probably still works (may change in favor of virtual fonts)

Thanks Hans, but nope, doesn't work. The font is found and used (I get
glyphs for "normal" characters such as numbers), but the special
characters just disappear from the output.

Thomas

* Re: symbols in luatex?
@ 2008-01-04 15:44     ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-01-04 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 2, 2008, at 2:04 PM, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> On Jan 2, 2008, at 12:42 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> \startencoding[default]
>>
>> probably still works (may change in favor of virtual fonts)
>
> Thanks Hans, but nope, doesn't work. The font is found and used (I get
> glyphs for "normal" characters such as numbers), but the special
> characters just disappear from the output.
>
> Thomas

Hmm, this is something I need for a presentation next week, so can I
ask again: how can I address arbitrary symbols in luaTeX? There has to
be some way, right? I'm also quite willing to look into the luaTeX way
of constructing a virtual font (I need some metrical and some math
symbols which I want to take from a different font), but I'm not sure
if there's any example out there how to do this.

Thanks!

Thomas

* Re: symbols in luatex?
@ 2008-01-04 16:15       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-01-04 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> On Jan 2, 2008, at 2:04 PM, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>
>> On Jan 2, 2008, at 12:42 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>>
>>> \startencoding[default]
>>>
>>> probably still works (may change in favor of virtual fonts)
>> Thanks Hans, but nope, doesn't work. The font is found and used (I get
>> glyphs for "normal" characters such as numbers), but the special
>> characters just disappear from the output.
>>
>> Thomas
>
> Hmm, this is something I need for a presentation next week, so can I
> ask again: how can I address arbitrary symbols in luaTeX? There has to
> be some way, right? I'm also quite willing to look into the luaTeX way
> of constructing a virtual font (I need some metrical and some math
> symbols which I want to take from a different font), but I'm not sure
> if there's any example out there how to do this.

doesn't \char<number> work?

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: symbols in luatex?
@ 2008-01-04 17:03         ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-01-04 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 4, 2008, at 5:15 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> doesn't \char<number> work?

Depends... fontforge tells me what I'm looking for is, e.g., character
803 in TeXGyreHeros-Regular, so I tried this:

\starttypescript[serif][greeksymbols][name]
\definefontsynonym [Serif] [name:TeXGyreHeros-Regular]
[features=default]
\stoptypescript
\starttypescript[GreekSymbols]
\definetypeface [GreekSymbols] [rm] [serif] [greeksymbols] [default]
\stoptypescript

\usetypescript[GreekSymbols]

\define{\anglebracketleft}%
{\bgroup\switchtobodyfont[GreekSymbols]\char803\egroup}

I tried several numbers, and get some symbols from TeXGyreHeros, but I
haven't yet found out how luaTeX interprets the \char numbers... OTOH,
this is a workaround:

\define{\anglebracketleft}%
{\bgroup\switchtobodyfont[GreekSymbols]〈\egroup}

but will obviously only work for symbols that are defined in Unicode,
so nothing in the "private" Unicode area. My presentation next week
doesn't use any of those, so I'm saved for today, but will be back in
a few weeks when I need the other stuff as well...

Thanks

Thomas

* Re: symbols in luatex?
@ 2008-01-04 17:39           ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-01-04 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 18:03:28 +0100
"Thomas A. Schmitz" <thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> wrote:

> On Jan 4, 2008, at 5:15 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
> > doesn't \char<number> work?
>
> Depends... fontforge tells me what I'm looking for is, e.g., character
> 803 in TeXGyreHeros-Regular, so I tried this:
>
> \starttypescript[serif][greeksymbols][name]
> \definefontsynonym [Serif] [name:TeXGyreHeros-Regular]
> [features=default]
> \stoptypescript
> \starttypescript[GreekSymbols]
> \definetypeface [GreekSymbols] [rm] [serif] [greeksymbols] [default]
> \stoptypescript
>
> \usetypescript[GreekSymbols]
>
> \define{\anglebracketleft}%
> {\bgroup\switchtobodyfont[GreekSymbols]\char803\egroup}
>
> I tried several numbers, and get some symbols from TeXGyreHeros, but I
> haven't yet found out how luaTeX interprets the \char numbers... OTOH,
> this is a workaround:

It interprets the numbers in the same way as TeX.

> \define{\anglebracketleft}%
> {\bgroup\switchtobodyfont[GreekSymbols]〈\egroup}

What you're looking for is "ANGLE BRACKET, RIGHT-POINTING".

> but will obviously only work for symbols that are defined in Unicode,
> so nothing in the "private" Unicode area. My presentation next week
> doesn't use any of those, so I'm saved for today, but will be back in
> a few weeks when I need the other stuff as well...

The following should work.

% engine=luatex

\definecharacter anglebracketleft  \char"2329
\definecharacter anglebracketright \char"232A

\starttext

text \anglebracketleft text\anglebracketright\ text

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: symbols in luatex?
@ 2008-01-04 18:42           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-01-04 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> I tried several numbers, and get some symbols from TeXGyreHeros, but I
> haven't yet found out how luaTeX interprets the \char numbers... OTOH,
> this is a workaround:

mkiv is unicode so \char point to a unicode point

> doesn't use any of those, so I'm saved for today, but will be back in
> a few weeks when I need the other stuff as well...

\definedfont[name:TeXGyreHeros-Regular] \otfchar{uni0323} % 803 ?

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: symbols in luatex?
@ 2008-01-04 20:30             ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-01-04 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 4, 2008, at 7:42 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> \definedfont[name:TeXGyreHeros-Regular] \otfchar{uni0323} % 803 ?

Hans, Wolfgang,

thanks a lot! Wolfgang's approach works immediately. \otfchar doesn't
seem to work, but I could combine your suggestion with Wolfgang's and
now have

{\bgroup\definedfont[name:TeXGyreHeros-Regular]\char"2329\egroup}

Cool! Without fiddling with map files and encodings, I can take glyphs
from whatever OTF font I want.

Thanks so much!

Thomas

* Re: symbols in luatex?
@ 2008-01-04 20:40               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-01-04 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> {\bgroup\definedfont[name:TeXGyreHeros-Regular]\char"2329\egroup}

ah so you know the number ...

\getglyph{name:TeXGyreHeros-Regular}{\char"2329}

should also work then

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: symbols in luatex?
@ 2008-01-04 21:17                 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-01-04 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 4, 2008, at 9:40 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> ah so you know the number ...
>
> \getglyph{name:TeXGyreHeros-Regular}{\char"2329}
>
> should also work then

Yes, that works too! Thanks, maybe even easier!

BTW, fea files and font features are a bit flaky these days, in the
latest two versions, none of my fea gsub stuff works... But it's
difficult for me to say whether it is the current version of luaTeX or
of ConTeXt which is at fault. Will try to give more useful information
when I have a bit more time.

Thomas

* Re: symbols in luatex?
@ 2008-01-04 21:20                   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-01-04 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> BTW, fea files and font features are a bit flaky these days, in the
> latest two versions, none of my fea gsub stuff works... But it's
> difficult for me to say whether it is the current version of luaTeX or
> of ConTeXt which is at fault. Will try to give more useful information
> when I have a bit more time.

best take the beta (some reported bugs fixed)

fea is flaky anyway ... currently fea *replaces* existing features;
future versions of luatex will do a proper merge but this has a low priority

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: symbols in luatex?
@ 2008-01-04 22:17                     ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2008-01-04 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 14:20:45 -0700, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>
>> BTW, fea files and font features are a bit flaky these days, in the
>> latest two versions, none of my fea gsub stuff works... But it's
>> difficult for me to say whether it is the current version of luaTeX or
>> of ConTeXt which is at fault. Will try to give more useful information
>> when I have a bit more time.
>
> best take the beta (some reported bugs fixed)

Does that include the one I reported? -)

> fea is flaky anyway ... currently fea *replaces* existing features;

FL (and FF?) can export fea files, so one can (in principle) add features
to the original fea file for further features etc.

> future versions of luatex will do a proper merge but this has a low
> priority

not too low I hope ;-) it's a great feature (no pun intended)!

Best wishes
Idris

International Journal of Shi`i Studies
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: symbols in luatex?
@ 2008-01-05  9:00               ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-01-05  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 21:30:09 +0100
"Thomas A. Schmitz" <thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> wrote:

> On Jan 4, 2008, at 6:39 PM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>
> > The following should work.
> >
> > % engine=luatex
> >
> > \definecharacter anglebracketleft  \char"2329
> > \definecharacter anglebracketright \char"232A
> >
> > \starttext
> >
> > text \anglebracketleft text\anglebracketright\ text
> >
> > \stoptext
> >
> > Wolfgang
>
> On Jan 4, 2008, at 7:42 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> >
> > \definedfont[name:TeXGyreHeros-Regular] \otfchar{uni0323} % 803 ?
>
> Hans, Wolfgang,
>
> thanks a lot! Wolfgang's approach works immediately. \otfchar doesn't
> seem to work, but I could combine your suggestion with Wolfgang's and
> now have
>
> {\bgroup\definedfont[name:TeXGyreHeros-Regular]\char"2329\egroup}
>
> Cool! Without fiddling with map files and encodings, I can take glyphs
> from whatever OTF font I want.

There is a better font if you need only symbols, choose the "Unicode
Symbols" link on the following page.

http://users.teilar.gr/~g1951d/

Wolfgang

* Re: symbols in luatex?
@ 2008-01-05  9:03                 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-01-05  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 21:40:55 +0100
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>
> > {\bgroup\definedfont[name:TeXGyreHeros-Regular]\char"2329\egroup}
>
> ah so you know the number ...
>
> \getglyph{name:TeXGyreHeros-Regular}{\char"2329}
>
> should also work then

Is it also possible to select glyphs with the "Adobe names", I saw you
have a complete list char-def.lua and it would be nice to write
\getnamedglyph{name:TeXGyreHeros-Regular}{angleleft} with the same
result as above.

Wolfgang

* Re: symbols in luatex?
@ 2008-01-05  9:55                   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-01-05  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 5, 2008 10:03 AM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 21:40:55 +0100
> Hans Hagen wrote:
>
> > Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> >
> > > {\bgroup\definedfont[name:TeXGyreHeros-Regular]\char"2329\egroup}
> >
> > ah so you know the number ...
> >
> > \getglyph{name:TeXGyreHeros-Regular}{\char"2329}
> >
> > should also work then
>
> Is it also possible to select glyphs with the "Adobe names", I saw you
> have a complete list char-def.lua and it would be nice to write
> \getnamedglyph{name:TeXGyreHeros-Regular}{angleleft} with the same
> result as above.

One thing that you can try is to add
    contextname='angleleft'
to the corresponding entry in char-def.lua and then use
    \getglyph{name:TeXGyreHeros-Regular}{\angleleft}
improvements for char-def.lua are welcome anyway.

Hans, should contextnames.txt be deleted now? So that only one list
will be kept up to date.

XeTeX offers \XeTeXglyphdindex{angleleft} (in LuaTeX you can achieve
the same with some coding), but I agree that some high-level macro to
access glyphs by name might be handy.

Mojca

* Re: symbols in luatex?
@ 2008-01-05 11:14                 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-01-05 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 5, 2008, at 10:00 AM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> There is a better font if you need only symbols, choose the "Unicode
> Symbols" link on the following page.
>
> http://users.teilar.gr/~g1951d/
>
> Wolfgang

Great fonts! Really excellent, thanks a lot for the link, Wolfgang!

Thomas

* Re: symbols in luatex?
@ 2008-01-06  9:15                     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-01-06  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 10:55:23 +0100
"Mojca Miklavec" <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 5, 2008 10:03 AM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> > On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 21:40:55 +0100
> > Hans Hagen wrote:

> > > ah so you know the number ...
> > >
> > > \getglyph{name:TeXGyreHeros-Regular}{\char"2329}
> > >
> > > should also work then
> >
> > Is it also possible to select glyphs with the "Adobe names", I saw you
> > have a complete list char-def.lua and it would be nice to write
> > \getnamedglyph{name:TeXGyreHeros-Regular}{angleleft} with the same
> > result as above.
>
> One thing that you can try is to add
>     contextname='angleleft'
> to the corresponding entry in char-def.lua and then use
>     \getglyph{name:TeXGyreHeros-Regular}{\angleleft}
> improvements for char-def.lua are welcome anyway.

Do you really a contextname for every adobename in the list?

I would be enough for me access the glyphs by name, I don't a macro for
every character but the list for adobenames should be filled with the
information from glyphlist.txt.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/opentype/archives/glyph.html

> Hans, should contextnames.txt be deleted now? So that only one list
> will be kept up to date.
>
> XeTeX offers \XeTeXglyphdindex{angleleft} (in LuaTeX you can achieve
> the same with some coding), but I agree that some high-level macro to
> access glyphs by name might be handy.

I know XeTeX offers this method but method for XeTeX and LuaTeX would
be better, it could be used as replacement for \symbol a many
cases, untill you have the requestet glyph in your font but a fallback
mode would be nice in this situation.

Wolfgang

* Re: symbols in luatex?
@ 2008-01-06 10:32                       ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-01-06 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 6, 2008 10:15 AM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 10:55:23 +0100
>
> > One thing that you can try is to add
> >     contextname='angleleft'
> > to the corresponding entry in char-def.lua and then use
> >     \getglyph{name:TeXGyreHeros-Regular}{\angleleft}
> > improvements for char-def.lua are welcome anyway.
>
> Do you really a contextname for every adobename in the list?

Of course not. But some addition still do make sense (and if you have
some on your wishlist, you can submit patches).

> I would be enough for me access the glyphs by name, I don't a macro for
> every character but the list for adobenames should be filled with the
> information from glyphlist.txt.
>
> http://www.adobe.com/devnet/opentype/archives/glyph.html

It is (although I could imagine that it might have been filled with an
older version of that list, but there are not so many differences
anyway).

> > Hans, should contextnames.txt be deleted now? So that only one list
> > will be kept up to date.
> >
> > XeTeX offers \XeTeXglyphdindex{angleleft} (in LuaTeX you can achieve
> > the same with some coding), but I agree that some high-level macro to
> > access glyphs by name might be handy.
>
> I know XeTeX offers this method but method for XeTeX and LuaTeX would
> be better, it could be used as replacement for \symbol a many
> cases, untill you have the requestet glyph in your font but a fallback
> mode would be nice in this situation.

Sure. I have agreed that some macro to get a glyph by name would be
handy (and could be supported in both engines easily).

Mojca

* Re: symbols in luatex?
@ 2008-01-06 11:06                         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-01-06 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 11:32:51 +0100
"Mojca Miklavec" <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 6, 2008 10:15 AM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> > On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 10:55:23 +0100
> >
> > > One thing that you can try is to add
> > >     contextname='angleleft'
> > > to the corresponding entry in char-def.lua and then use
> > >     \getglyph{name:TeXGyreHeros-Regular}{\angleleft}
> > > improvements for char-def.lua are welcome anyway.
> >
> > Do you really a contextname for every adobename in the list?
>
> Of course not. But some addition still do make sense (and if you have
> some on your wishlist, you can submit patches).
>
> > I would be enough for me access the glyphs by name, I don't a macro for
> > every character but the list for adobenames should be filled with the
> > information from glyphlist.txt.
> >
> > http://www.adobe.com/devnet/opentype/archives/glyph.html
>
> It is (although I could imagine that it might have been filled with an
> older version of that list, but there are not so many differences
> anyway).

The only list I found is from 2002, this mean Hans list is from ???

> > > Hans, should contextnames.txt be deleted now? So that only one list
> > > will be kept up to date.

What was this list used for?

> > > XeTeX offers \XeTeXglyphdindex{angleleft} (in LuaTeX you can achieve
> > > the same with some coding), but I agree that some high-level macro to
> > > access glyphs by name might be handy.
> >
> > I know XeTeX offers this method but method for XeTeX and LuaTeX would
> > be better, it could be used as replacement for \symbol a many
> > cases, untill you have the requestet glyph in your font but a fallback
> > mode would be nice in this situation.
>
> Sure. I have agreed that some macro to get a glyph by name would be
> handy (and could be supported in both engines easily).
>
> Mojca

Wolfgang

* Re: symbols in luatex?
@ 2008-01-06 14:02                           ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-01-06 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 6, 2008 12:06 PM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 11:32:51 +0100 "Mojca Miklavec" wrote:
>
> > > I would be enough for me access the glyphs by name, I don't a macro for
> > > every character but the list for adobenames should be filled with the
> > > information from glyphlist.txt.
> > >
> > > http://www.adobe.com/devnet/opentype/archives/glyph.html
> >
> > It is (although I could imagine that it might have been filled with an
> > older version of that list, but there are not to many differences
> > anyway).
>
> The only list I found is from 2002, this mean Hans list is from ???

There are two different lists (for new and for "old" fonts) at
different versions, one of the latests being.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/opentype/archives/aglfn.txt
# Name:          Adobe Glyph List For New Fonts
# Table version: 1.6
# Date:          30 Januaury 2006

I have no idea what exactly is in char-def.lua (perhaps the same as in
contextnames.txt, which has been generated from the old list).

> What was this list used for?

It has been created in order to clean up the encoding mess a bit
(iso-8895-X, cp125X, viscii regimes - most regi-XXX files are
autogenerated from that list), but now everthing from that list is in
char-def.lua.

(And char-def.lua is also used for autogenerating enco-utf, used in
XeTeX initialisation.)

Mojca

* Re: symbols in luatex?
@ 2008-01-06 20:26                       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-01-06 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Do you really a contextname for every adobename in the list?

no, in mkiv we can have use adobe names as well

> I would be enough for me access the glyphs by name, I don't a macro for
> every character but the list for adobenames should be filled with the
> information from glyphlist.txt.
>
> http://www.adobe.com/devnet/opentype/archives/glyph.html

taht's what char-def is for

>> Hans, should contextnames.txt be deleted now? So that only one list
>> will be kept up to date.

well, we can keep it for a while for sentimental reasons

>> XeTeX offers \XeTeXglyphdindex{angleleft} (in LuaTeX you can achieve
>> the same with some coding), but I agree that some high-level macro to
>> access glyphs by name might be handy.
>
> I know XeTeX offers this method but method for XeTeX and LuaTeX would
> be better, it could be used as replacement for \symbol a many
> cases, untill you have the requestet glyph in your font but a fallback
> mode would be nice in this situation.

maybe a big fallback virtual font covering all of unicode ...

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: symbols in luatex?
@ 2008-01-07 16:18                         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-01-07 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 6, 2008 9:26 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>
> > Do you really a contextname for every adobename in the list?
>
> no, in mkiv we can have use adobe names as well
>
> > I would be enough for me access the glyphs by name, I don't a macro for
> > every character but the list for adobenames should be filled with the
> > information from glyphlist.txt.
> >
> > http://www.adobe.com/devnet/opentype/archives/glyph.html
>
> taht's what char-def is for
>
> >> Hans, should contextnames.txt be deleted now? So that only one list
> >> will be kept up to date.
>
> well, we can keep it for a while for sentimental reasons
>
> >> XeTeX offers \XeTeXglyphdindex{angleleft} (in LuaTeX you can achieve
> >> the same with some coding), but I agree that some high-level macro to
> >> access glyphs by name might be handy.
> >
> > I know XeTeX offers this method but method for XeTeX and LuaTeX would
> > be better, it could be used as replacement for \symbol a many
> > cases, untill you have the requestet glyph in your font but a fallback
> > mode would be nice in this situation.
>
> maybe a big fallback virtual font covering all of unicode ...

With Arial Unicode as fallback ;-)

Wolfgang

* Re: symbols in luatex?
@ 2008-01-08  0:30                           ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-01-08  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 7, 2008 5:18 PM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> On Jan 6, 2008 9:26 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
> > maybe a big fallback virtual font covering all of unicode ...
>
> With Arial Unicode as fallback ;-)

I can try to get some Microsofties* to the meeting. Perhaps they'll agree :-) :p

After all, if I forget about all the advantages of it (covering
unicode symbols where typeface doesn't matter so much etc.), the
approach would be fully compatible with Word in that respect,
replacing all accented letters with the ones from the fallback font
:-)

But after all: there's LinLibertine or the (symbol) Unicode font that
one of you has mantioned a few days ago.

Mojca

* = trying to figure out an expression for people working there

* Re: symbols in luatex?
@ 2008-01-08  0:49                             ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2008-01-08  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I can try to get some Microsofties* to the meeting. Perhaps they'll agree :-) :p

Maybe you can try  by saying that a few (?) of us have  some interest on
xps as an output alternative of pdf ; with luatex should be no so difficult .

You can even do better getting some Adobies to the meeting too,
because a few (again, ?) of us have some interest on mars too .

--
luigi

it's new .
it's powerful .
it's luatex .
http://www.luatex.org

* Re: symbols in luatex?
@ 2008-01-08  8:21                             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-01-08  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Jan 7, 2008 5:18 PM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>> On Jan 6, 2008 9:26 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>>
>>> maybe a big fallback virtual font covering all of unicode ...
>> With Arial Unicode as fallback ;-)
>
> I can try to get some Microsofties* to the meeting. Perhaps they'll agree :-) :p

actually the typography part of ms is not that bad -) also, if i'm right
all linux distributions permit you to download/install fonts from ms
(someow these fonts are free); not sure about osx

> After all, if I forget about all the advantages of it (covering
> unicode symbols where typeface doesn't matter so much etc.), the
> approach would be fully compatible with Word in that respect,
> replacing all accented letters with the ones from the fallback font
> :-)

well, you may as well expect worse in the tex community ... font feature
abuse and such

> But after all: there's LinLibertine or the (symbol) Unicode font that
> one of you has mantioned a few days ago.

yes, those fonts are very complete; i wonder if they may be distributed
with tex ...

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: symbols in luatex?
@ 2008-01-08 16:05                               ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-01-08 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 8, 2008 9:21 AM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> >> With Arial Unicode as fallback ;-)
> >
> > I can try to get some Microsofties* to the meeting. Perhaps they'll agree :-) :p
>
> actually the typography part of ms is not that bad -) also, if i'm right
> all linux distributions permit you to download/install fonts from ms
> (someow these fonts are free); not sure about osx

Only the normal Arial font, Arial Unicode is only AFAIK available
with MS Ofiice.

> > After all, if I forget about all the advantages of it (covering
> > unicode symbols where typeface doesn't matter so much etc.), the
> > approach would be fully compatible with Word in that respect,
> > replacing all accented letters with the ones from the fallback font
> > :-)
>
> well, you may as well expect worse in the tex community ... font feature
> abuse and such
>
> > But after all: there's LinLibertine or the (symbol) Unicode font that
> > one of you has mantioned a few days ago.
>
> yes, those fonts are very complete; i wonder if they may be distributed
> with tex ...

The unicode symbol font should be no problem. You find the following text
on the page.

"Fonts in this site are offered free for any use; they may be opened,
edited, modified, regenerated, packaged and redistributed."

It's worth to write a mail to the designer.

http://users.teilar.gr/~g1951d/index.html

Wolfgang

* Re: symbols in luatex?
@ 2008-01-08 16:51                               ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2008-01-08 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 01:21:11 -0700, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

>> But after all: there's LinLibertine or the (symbol) Unicode font that
>> one of you has mantioned a few days ago.
>
> yes, those fonts are very complete; i wonder if they may be distributed
> with tex ...

There's a LaTeX package...

Anyway, thnx for mentioning LinLibertine, Wolfgang; downloding it now.
Unfortunately they don't have a monospace font :-( For serious utf-8 work
in an editor it's indispensable. I'm using Arial Unicode MS in the
meantime (ugh).

SC Unipad has the best and most complete unicode editing font out there
(both mono and var options) but it's a bitmap and tied to the application.

SIL has some pretty complete fonts as well. Doulos is pretty complete as
far as Latin extensions are concerned, and is probably the richest font
after Arial Unicode (which is still over an order of magnitude bigger).

But the idea of a virtual uniode font is a good idea and I'd like to help.