* Need of a new global option for indenting?
@ 2008-01-30 18:31 morgan.brassel
From: morgan.brassel @ 2008-01-30 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

Sorry to bother you with this question again, but I didn't get any definitive
answer in the previous discussion: wouldn't it be useful to have a new option in
\setupindenting that indents EVERY paragraph? I mean even after floats,
formulae, heads, etc.

It would be easier than to set every 'indentnext' option to 'yes'. My first
thought was that it should be the role of the 'always' option. Is it silly?

Best regards,
Morgan

* Re: Need of a new global option for indenting?
@ 2008-01-30 18:53 ` Taco Hoekwater
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-01-30 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

morgan.brassel@free.fr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry to bother you with this question again, but I didn't get any definitive
> answer in the previous discussion: wouldn't it be useful to have a new option in
> \setupindenting that indents EVERY paragraph? I mean even after floats,
> formulae, heads, etc.

This is a french typographical tradition thing, isn't it?

> It would be easier than to set every 'indentnext' option to 'yes'. My first
> thought was that it should be the role of the 'always' option. Is it silly?

In fact there is a common entry point for indentnext already, and
redefining that woudl do what you want, I believe:

\def\checknextindentation[#1]% original
   {\processaction
      [#1]
      [yes=>\doindentation,
       no=>\noindentation,
       auto=>\autoindentation]}

\def\checknextindentation[#1]{\doindentation} % redefined

Hooking into \setupindenting may not be the best idea, because of
backward compatibility. If Hans not feel like adding an extra
inferface, my next proposal would be to add this redefined command
to the t-french module on the garden

   http://modules.contextgarden.net/t-french

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Need of a new global option for indenting?
@ 2008-01-30 19:14   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2008-01-30 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2008-01-30 um 19:53 schrieb Taco Hoekwater:

>> Sorry to bother you with this question again, but I didn't get any
>> definitive
>> answer in the previous discussion: wouldn't it be useful to have a
>> new option in
>> \setupindenting that indents EVERY paragraph? I mean even after
>> floats,
>> formulae, heads, etc.
>
> This is a french typographical tradition thing, isn't it?

Not, it's not only French.
I already had (German) customers who demanded every paragraph to be
indented.

That doesn't mean that it makes sense, but one should be able to
activate that behaviour rather easily.

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: Need of a new global option for indenting?
@ 2008-01-30 19:32   ` morgan.brassel
From: morgan.brassel @ 2008-01-30 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Selon Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com>:

> morgan.brassel@free.fr wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Sorry to bother you with this question again, but I didn't get any
> definitive
> > answer in the previous discussion: wouldn't it be useful to have a new
> option in
> > \setupindenting that indents EVERY paragraph? I mean even after floats,
> > formulae, heads, etc.
> >

> This is a french typographical tradition thing, isn't it?

Yes, indeed. But it might be useful to non french people too, I think.

> > It would be easier than to set every 'indentnext' option to 'yes'. My first
> > thought was that it should be the role of the 'always' option. Is it silly?
>
> In fact there is a common entry point for indentnext already, and
> redefining that woudl do what you want, I believe:
>
> \def\checknextindentation[#1]% original
>    {\processaction
>       [#1]
>       [yes=>\doindentation,
>        no=>\noindentation,
>        auto=>\autoindentation]}
>
> \def\checknextindentation[#1]{\doindentation} % redefined

Thank you for this trick!

> Hooking into \setupindenting may not be the best idea, because of
> backward compatibility. If Hans not feel like adding an extra
> inferface, my next proposal would be to add this redefined command
> to the t-french module on the garden
>
>    http://modules.contextgarden.net/t-french

I understand the problem of backward compatibility, and in this regard, it seems
difficult to modify the 'always' option. But what about adding a completely new
option?

As this might be helpful to non french people too, modifying the t-french module
only would be a pity (according to me, of course).

@ 2008-01-30 21:53   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2008-01-30 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2008-01-30 22:16     ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2008-01-30 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 14:53:35 -0700, Henning Hraban Ramm <hraban@fiee.net>
wrote:

> Am 2008-01-30 um 19:53 schrieb Taco Hoekwater:
>
>>> Sorry to bother you with this question again, but I didn't get any
>>> definitive
>>> answer in the previous discussion: wouldn't it be useful to have a
>>> new option in
>>> \setupindenting that indents EVERY paragraph? I mean even after
>>> floats,
>>> formulae, heads, etc.
>>>

>> This is a french typographical tradition thing, isn't it?
>>

> Not, it's not only French.
> I already had (German) customers who demanded every paragraph to be
> indented.

In Arabic typography this is also ubiquitous...

Idris

International Journal of Shi`i Studies
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University