* \head and pagebreak
@ 2006-12-11  4:41 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2006-12-11  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear gang,

Is there a way to absolutely forbid a pagebreak between \head and its
following paragraph? [intro] tries hard but sometimes fails. I tried

\setupitemize[each] [inmargin,autointro]
\setuptolerance[vertical,stretch]

but I still get pagebreaks.

Best
Idris

--
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy

* Re: \head and pagebreak
@ 2006-12-11  4:53 ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2006-12-11  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

A folllow-up:

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 21:41:54 -0700, Idris Samawi Hamid
<ishamid@colostate.edu> wrote:

> Dear gang,
>
> Is there a way to absolutely forbid a pagebreak between \head and its
> following paragraph? [intro] tries hard but sometimes fails. I tried
>
> \setupitemize[each] [inmargin,autointro]
> \setuptolerance[vertical,stretch]
>
> but I still get pagebreaks.

One problem that occurs is the following:

=================
\head text

\index{more text}{more text}
=================

If there is a page break after \head then in the index 'more text' will be
listed as ocurring on page n when in fact it occurs on page n+1. This
makes the problem that much more urgent:-)

Best
Idris

--

@ 2006-12-11 12:02   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-12-11 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
> A folllow-up:
>
> On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 21:41:54 -0700, Idris Samawi Hamid
> <ishamid@colostate.edu> wrote:
>

>> Dear gang,
>>
>> Is there a way to absolutely forbid a pagebreak between \head and its
>> following paragraph? [intro] tries hard but sometimes fails. I tried
>>
>> \setupitemize[each] [inmargin,autointro]
>> \setuptolerance[vertical,stretch]
>>
>> but I still get pagebreaks.
>>

> One problem that occurs is the following:
>
> =================
> \head text
>
> \index{more text}{more text}
> =================
>
> If there is a page break after \head then in the index 'more text' will be
> listed as ocurring on page n when in fact it occurs on page n+1. This
> makes the problem that much more urgent:-)

head text\index{...}

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: \head and pagebreak
@ 2006-12-11 17:52     ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2006-12-11 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 05:02:03 -0700, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

>>> Is there a way to absolutely forbid a pagebreak between \head and its
>>> following paragraph? [intro] tries hard but sometimes fails. I tried
>>>
>>> \setupitemize[each] [inmargin,autointro]
>>> \setuptolerance[vertical,stretch]
>>>
>>> but I still get pagebreaks.
>>>

>> One problem that occurs is the following:
>>
>> =================
>> \head text
>>
>> \index{more text}{more text}
>> =================
>>
>> If there is a page break after \head then in the index 'more text' will
>> be
>> listed as ocurring on page n when in fact it occurs on page n+1. This
>> makes the problem that much more urgent:-)
>>

> head text\index{...}

But I want the indexed entry to be registered in the second paragraph eg

=================
\head Asani, Ali S.

\index{The Bujh Niranjan: An Ismaili Mystical Poem}{\bf The Bujh
Niranjan: An Ismaili Mystical Poem}, Cambridge, Mass: Harvard
University Press, 1991.
=================

if I do

=================
\head Asani, Ali S.\index{The Bujh Niranjan: An Ismaili Mystical Poem}

{\bf The Bujh Niranjan: An Ismaili Mystical Poem}, Cambridge, Mass: Harvard
University Press, 1991.
=================

That just compounds the problem.

EUREKA! I just found something that seems to work:

\leavemode\index

When I do this there no pagebreaks after \head at all. I wonder why this
affects the pagebreaks...

What is the proper way to define my own \INDEX in terms of index?

\def\INDEX#1#2#3{\leavevmode\index[#1]{#2}{#3}}

does not work properly (maybe because the [] option is not always used).

Best
Idris