* coupling register with head
@ 2006-12-11  3:49 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2006-12-11  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear posse,

Is it possible to couple the \index register with \head instead of page
numbers? I have a document that is exactly one single
\start-\stopitemize[n] with over 1000 \head entries. The \index'ed items
occur for the most part in the second paragraph after \head. I would like
the index to tell me which heading number my entry falls under.

Is this possible? If so, how?

Thnx in advance and
Best
Idris

--
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy

* Fwd:  coupling register with head
@ 2006-12-15 21:26 ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2006-12-15 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear knights,

I sent this earlier, never got a response...

I'm sure I'm not the first to ask this question, seems like a pretty
common register-task. But if it's impossible, please let me know that too!

Best
Idris

Is it possible to couple the \index register with \head instead of page
numbers? I have a document that is exactly one single
\start-\stopitemize[n] with over 1000 \head entries. The \index'ed items
occur for the most part in the second paragraph after \head. I would like
the index to tell me which heading number my entry falls under.

Is this possible? If so, how?

Thnx in advance and
Best
Idris

--
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: Fwd:  coupling register with head
@ 2006-12-16  8:53   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-12-16  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
> Dear knights,
>
> I sent this earlier, never got a response...
>
> I'm sure I'm not the first to ask this question, seems like a pretty
> common register-task. But if it's impossible, please let me know that too!

This is not trivial, because \head does not create a reference,
and register entries expect page numbers for sorting purposes.

But if you send me an example file (10 pages or so) offlist,
I will see if I can cook something up.

Best, Taco

* Re: Fwd:  coupling register with head
@ 2006-12-17  5:16     ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2006-12-17  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Taco,

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 01:53:13 -0700, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com>
wrote:

> Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
>> Dear knights,
>>
>> I sent this earlier, never got a response...
>>
>> I'm sure I'm not the first to ask this question, seems like a pretty
>> common register-task. But if it's impossible, please let me know that
>> too!
>
> This is not trivial, because \head does not create a reference,
> and register entries expect page numbers for sorting purposes.
>
> But if you send me an example file (10 pages or so) offlist,
> I will see if I can cook something up.

It is done ;-)

Best
Idris