* Scite folding
@ 2007-04-05 15:20 Idris Samawi Hamid
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2007-04-05 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear syndicate,

Can Scite be configured for folding based on TeX keywords, or is that
something that is hardwired in Scintilla/Scite? I would like to feed Scite
all the \start-\stop's, {}, \bgroup-\egroup etc. I looked in the context
properties files but did not find anything, and it's certainly not there
by default

Notepad++ (also scintilla-based) supports this through a nifty
define-your-own-language dialog****, as well as global RTL (no interlinear
bidi), but the developers are generally unresponsive to requests for help
or guidance from end users (as opposed to serious programmers) so I am a
bit hesitant about switching from WinEdt to Notepad++. Notepad++ also
supports folding in TeX-mode for things like \chapter, \section (without
ending tags; adopted from Visual TeX) but the dialog does not let me
extend that for ConTeXt (\subject etc).

Anyway, whatever you can tell me about Scite and folding would be a big
help!

Best
Idris

--
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy

* Re: Scite folding
@ 2007-04-05 15:52 ` Zhichu Chen
From: Zhichu Chen @ 2007-04-05 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Idris,

AFAIK, one can modify one of the source files --- LEXTeX.cxx --- and compile
it again. But I'm sure there should be some more sophisticate way.

On 4/5/07, Idris Samawi Hamid <ishamid@colostate.edu> wrote:

> Dear syndicate,
>
> Can Scite be configured for folding based on TeX keywords, or is that
> something that is hardwired in Scintilla/Scite? I would like to feed Scite
> all the \start-\stop's, {}, \bgroup-\egroup etc. I looked in the context
> properties files but did not find anything, and it's certainly not there
> by default
>
> Notepad++ (also scintilla-based) supports this through a nifty
> define-your-own-language dialog****, as well as global RTL (no interlinear
> bidi), but the developers are generally unresponsive to requests for help
> or guidance from end users (as opposed to serious programmers) so I am a
> bit hesitant about switching from WinEdt to Notepad++. Notepad++ also
> supports folding in TeX-mode for things like \chapter, \section (without
> ending tags; adopted from Visual TeX) but the dialog does not let me
> extend that for ConTeXt (\subject etc).
>
> Anyway, whatever you can tell me about Scite and folding would be a big
> help!
>
> Best
> Idris
>
> --
> Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
> Department of Philosophy
> Colorado State University
> Fort Collins, CO 80523

Sincerely yours,
Chen

          Zhi-chu Chen | Shanghai Synchrotron Radiation Facility
         No. 2019 | Jialuo Rd. | Jiading | Shanghai | P.R. China
             tel: 086 21 5955 3405 | zhichu.chen.googlepages.com
                                               | www.sinap.ac.cn

* Re: Scite folding
@ 2007-04-05 16:22   ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2007-04-05 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Zhichu,

On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 09:52:19 -0600, Zhichu Chen <zhichu.chen@gmail.com>
wrote:

> AFAIK, one can modify one of the source files --- LEXTeX.cxx --- and
> compile
> it again.

I am not a programmer, and would really like to avoid this option ;-)

> But I'm sure there should be some more sophisticate way.

I hope so! If not, could one of the other users let me know?

Thank you for the reply and

Best
Idris

--

@ 2007-04-05 16:32 ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2007-04-05 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 09:20:21 -0600, Idris Samawi Hamid
<ishamid@colostate.edu> wrote:

> Notepad++ (also scintilla-based) supports this through a nifty
> define-your-own-language dialog****, as well as global RTL (no
> interlinear
> bidi),

I forgot the ****note:

****I am happy to share my context setup for Notepad++ with anyone who is
interested. It's neat: I have code folding, different syntax highlighting
for

- context commands
- \define,\setup, and \place commands
- TeX primitives

There is also auto-completion for ConTeXt, among other things.

For those used to WinEdt I think notepad++ has a lot of potential. I'd
like to see a project to make it even more TeX-friendly; with some minor
tweaks and recompiling we could do a lot. But I know no C++ ;-) so if
anyone is interested please contact me.

Best
Idris

--

@ 2007-04-05 18:34 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2007-04-05 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello Idris,

> bit hesitant about switching from WinEdt to Notepad++. Notepad++ also
> supports folding in TeX-mode for things like \chapter, \section (without
> ending tags; adopted from Visual TeX)

How does it find the end of the chapter then?

Patrick
--
ConTeXt wiki and more: http://contextgarden.net

* Re: Scite folding
@ 2007-04-05 19:05   ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2007-04-05 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Patrick,

On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 12:34:37 -0600, Patrick Gundlach <patrick@gundla.ch>
wrote:

>> bit hesitant about switching from WinEdt to Notepad++. Notepad++ also
>> supports folding in TeX-mode for things like \chapter, \section (without
>> ending tags; adopted from Visual TeX)
>
> How does it find the end of the chapter then?

I think it just folds at the beginning of the next sectioning command,
whether it's chapter, section, subsection, etc.

Soon it will be moot since Hans is going to \start-\stop all section and
item commands soon anyway. In the meantime Taco uses (see archives)

    \def\startchapter[#1]%
        {\getparameters[Chapter][#1]\chapter{\ChapterTitle}}
    \def\stopchapter{}

But notepad++ has real potential for an editor that will make it easier
for your average TeX user. I'll make my ConTeXt configuration files
available to anyone who wants to play with it.

Best
Idris

--

       [not found] ` <DreamMail__142406_64042275377@smtp.126.com>
@ 2007-05-28  6:53   ` Zhichu Chen
From: Zhichu Chen @ 2007-05-28  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi instanton,

I think the following commands should be added:
1, \startXXX...\stopXXX pair
2, \ifYYY ... \else ... \fi structure
3, \chapter, \section, \subsection, \title and \subject, \topic, etc.

IMHO, I'd like to folder
\def\XXX#1%
  {...}
and some \setupZZZ, \defineZZZ's.

I hope you can provide some mysterious folding symbols, like
%%--{{
something i like to be folded.
%%--}}

On 5/28/07, soft_share <soft_share@126.com> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> I don't know much about lua so I'm afraid that I cannot do much about the
> code-folding via lua script. However there are some built-in pseudo-TeX
> commands like %\StartFolding %\EndFolding in NotePad++ and the unofficial
> SciTE I'm using which can be used to manually control where text fold should
> apply. At present I can only add a minimum scope of ConTeXt commands in the
> souce code which controls TeX folding. Which commands would you suggest to
> add?
>

> soft_share@126.com
> 2007-05-28

* Re: Scite folding
@ 2007-05-27 17:39 ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2007-05-27 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: soft_share, ntg-context; +Cc: zhichu.chen, patrick

Hi,

On Sun, 27 May 2007 11:18:48 -0600, <""soft_share"<soft_share"@126.com>>
wrote:

> Dear all,
> Just come across this thread. The TeX folding feature in NotePad++ was
> adapted by me and originally the adaptations was made in SciTE. As I am
> not a ConTeXt user, I am not aware of the structure of sectioning
> commands in ConTeXt. Could anyone of you let me know of a minimum list
> of sectioning commands in ConTeXt so that I can modify the source code
> to make the TeX folding in SciTE and NotePad++ work also for ConTeXt
> documents?

I could not get the Notepad++ source to compile, but then again, I am not
a programmer;-)

I'll zip the contents of my local notepad++ setup and send it to you
[offlist], as well as some emails I sent to the notepad++ people.

One more thing: we need to add an options for the .tex extension in
notepad++'s Open-File dialog.

I am extremely busy these days but will try to help!

Best
Idris

--

@ 2007-05-27 17:18 soft_share