* Batch Files and texmf
@ 2007-08-10  3:28 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2007-08-10  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear gang,

To all you expert script writers and batch wizards on Windows, I have a
question:

I want to create a batch file to open a program so that it will search the
contents of C:\ConTeXt, which contains my entire system, including
subdirectories. For example, if foo.tex is a file in C:\ConTeXt, and
goo.exe is some program, then for

> goo.bat foo.tex

I want goo to seach C:\ConTeXt for foo.tex. Is there a straightforward way
to edit the following to get this effect?

============================
rem batch file

goo %
============================

Any pointers will be appreciated.

Best wishes
Idris

--
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy

* Re: Batch Files and texmf
@ 2007-08-10  5:17 ` Hamid Kamrani
From: Hamid Kamrani @ 2007-08-10  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

That is a pretty interesting ConTeXt question. I mean it makes a
laudable effort to bring ConTeXt into its context!!

On 8/9/07, Idris Samawi Hamid <ishamid@colostate.edu> wrote:
> Dear gang,
>
> To all you expert script writers and batch wizards on Windows, I have a
> question:
>
> I want to create a batch file to open a program so that it will search the
> contents of C:\ConTeXt, which contains my entire system, including
> subdirectories. For example, if foo.tex is a file in C:\ConTeXt, and
> goo.exe is some program, then for
>
> > goo.bat foo.tex
>
> I want goo to seach C:\ConTeXt for foo.tex. Is there a straightforward way
> to edit the following to get this effect?
>
> ============================
> rem batch file
>
> goo %
> ============================
>
> Any pointers will be appreciated.
>
> Best wishes
> Idris
>
> --
> Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
> Department of Philosophy
> Colorado State University
> Fort Collins, CO 80523
>
> --

* Re: Batch Files and texmf
@ 2007-08-10  9:54   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-08-10  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hamid Kamrani wrote:
> That is a pretty interesting ConTeXt question. I mean it makes a
> laudable effort to bring ConTeXt into its context!!
>
> On 8/9/07, Idris Samawi Hamid <ishamid@colostate.edu> wrote:
>> Dear gang,
>>
>> To all you expert script writers and batch wizards on Windows, I have a
>> question:
>>
>> I want to create a batch file to open a program so that it will search the
>> contents of C:\ConTeXt, which contains my entire system, including
>> subdirectories. For example, if foo.tex is a file in C:\ConTeXt, and
>> goo.exe is some program, then for
>>
>>> goo.bat foo.tex
>> I want goo to seach C:\ConTeXt for foo.tex. Is there a straightforward way
>> to edit the following to get this effect?
>>
>> ============================
>> rem batch file
>>
>> goo %
>> ============================
>>
>> Any pointers will be appreciated.

well, if it's part of the tree ...

	texmfstart  bin:scite file:context.tex

or

	texmfstart --edit file:texmf.cnf

or
	mtxrun ....

or

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Batch Files and texmf
@ 2007-08-10 14:53     ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2007-08-10 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 03:54:14 -0600, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

>>> I want to create a batch file to open a program so that it will search
>>> the
>>> contents of C:\ConTeXt, which contains my entire system, including
>>> subdirectories. For example, if foo.tex is a file in C:\ConTeXt, and
>>> goo.exe is some program, then for

>>> I want goo to seach C:\ConTeXt for foo.tex. Is there a straightforward
>>> way
>>> to edit the following to get this effect?
>>>
>>> ============================
>>> rem batch file
>>>
>>> goo %
>>> ============================
>>>
>>> Any pointers will be appreciated.
>
> well, if it's part of the tree ...

But what if it's not part of the tree? For example

> Acrobat.lnk  cow.pdf

Now you will say, "Why not use texmfstart --file=showcase.pdf
--program=context"

Answer: Because texmfstart always resizes the acrobat window, and I want
to keep the relative positions of my editor and viewer the same at all
times. (of course showcase.pdf is full screen-mode but the restore
position is still resized). This is also why I don't use the --autopdf
option.

If one opens Acrobat with a link file this does not happen: the relative
position generally stays the same as when it was last closed. If I make
LNK executable in System Properties then I can use the following batch file

Acrobat.lnk %*

which will start its argument without resizing the window. So what I need
is a batch file such that, from a console, I can say

Acrobat.bat cow.pdf

and C:\context will be searched for the file.

How can I do this?

I hope this is clearer. I wrote the question more abstractly because there
could be many programs one may want to operate on the context tree.

Best wishes
Idris

--

@ 2007-08-10 15:46       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-08-10 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:

>> well, if it's part of the tree ...
>

> But what if it's not part of the tree? For example
>
>> Acrobat.lnk  cow.pdf
>
> Now you will say, "Why not use texmfstart --file=showcase.pdf
> --program=context"
>
> Answer: Because texmfstart always resizes the acrobat window, and I want
> to keep the relative positions of my editor and viewer the same at all
> times. (of course showcase.pdf is full screen-mode but the restore
> position is still resized). This is also why I don't use the --autopdf
> option.
>
> If one opens Acrobat with a link file this does not happen: the relative
> position generally stays the same as when it was last closed. If I make
> LNK executable in System Properties then I can use the following batch file
>
> Acrobat.lnk %*
>
> which will start its argument without resizing the window. So what I
> need is a batch file such that, from a console, I can say
>
> Acrobat.bat cow.pdf
>
> and C:\context will be searched for the file.
>
> How can I do this?
>
> I hope this is clearer. I wrote the question more abstractly because
> there could be many programs one may want to operate on the context tree.

mtxrun --launch cow.pdf

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Batch Files and texmf
@ 2007-08-10 16:00         ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2007-08-10 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 09:46:57 -0600, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>>> well, if it's part of the tree ...
>>

>> But what if it's not part of the tree? For example
>>
>>> Acrobat.lnk  cow.pdf
>>
>> Now you will say, "Why not use texmfstart --file=showcase.pdf
>> --program=context"
>>
>> Answer: Because texmfstart always resizes the acrobat window, and I want
>> to keep the relative positions of my editor and viewer the same at all
>> times. (of course showcase.pdf is full screen-mode but the restore
>> position is still resized). This is also why I don't use the --autopdf
>> option.
>>
>> If one opens Acrobat with a link file this does not happen: the relative
>> position generally stays the same as when it was last closed. If I make
>> LNK executable in System Properties then I can use the following batch
>> file
>>
>> Acrobat.lnk %*
>>
>> which will start its argument without resizing the window. So what I
>> need is a batch file such that, from a console, I can say
>>
>> Acrobat.bat cow.pdf
>>
>> and C:\context will be searched for the file.
>>
>> How can I do this?
>>
>> I hope this is clearer. I wrote the question more abstractly because
>> there could be many programs one may want to operate on the context
>> tree.
>

> mtxrun --launch cow.pdf

===========
mtxrun --launch cow.pdf
Error in lua file loading: C:\ConTeXt\tex\texmf-mswin\bin\mtxrun.lua:3055:
attempt to index local 'filename' (a nil value)
===========

Also, I don't see how this relates to the resizing issue. Is there an
option to mtxrun that, say, launches the pdf through the LNK shortcut
instead of the EXE.? I saw the following lines in conedt.ini:

============
&Acrobat Reader
  Acrobat Reader
%P
%$('AcroRead'); "%P\%N.pdf"
Acrobat Reader
%P\%N.pdf
============

Is this where texmfstart gets its launch information for --autopdf etc? Or
am I supposed to leave these alone?

Best
Idris

--

@ 2007-08-10 16:09           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-08-10 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:

>>> But what if it's not part of the tree? For example

>>> Now you will say, "Why not use texmfstart --file=showcase.pdf
>>> --program=context"
>>>
>>> Answer: Because texmfstart always resizes the acrobat window, and I want
>>> to keep the relative positions of my editor and viewer the same at all
>>> times. (of course showcase.pdf is full screen-mode but the restore
>>> position is still resized). This is also why I don't use the --autopdf
>>> option.
>>>
>>> If one opens Acrobat with a link file this does not happen: the relative
>>> position generally stays the same as when it was last closed. If I make
>>> LNK executable in System Properties then I can use the following
>>> batch file
>>>
>>> Acrobat.lnk %*
>>>
>>> which will start its argument without resizing the window. So what I
>>> need is a batch file such that, from a console, I can say
>>>
>>> Acrobat.bat cow.pdf
>>>
>>> and C:\context will be searched for the file.
>>>
>>> How can I do this?
>>>
>>> I hope this is clearer. I wrote the question more abstractly because
>>> there could be many programs one may want to operate on the context
>>> tree.
>>

>> mtxrun --launch cow.pdf
>
> ===========
> mtxrun --launch cow.pdf
> Error in lua file loading: C:\ConTeXt\tex\texmf-mswin\bin\mtxrun.lua:3055:
> attempt to index local 'filename' (a nil value)
> ===========

yes, that was broken, will upload soon

> Also, I don't see how this relates to the resizing issue. Is there an
> option to mtxrun that, say, launches the pdf through the LNK shortcut
> instead of the EXE.? I saw the following lines in conedt.ini:
>
> ============
> &Acrobat Reader
>  Acrobat Reader
> %P
> %$('AcroRead'); "%P\%N.pdf"
> Acrobat Reader
> %P\%N.pdf
> ============
>
> Is this where texmfstart gets its launch information for --autopdf etc?
> Or am I supposed to leave these alone?

dunno, i suppose that you can mtxrun bin:cow.lnk cow.pdf but i didn't
test that (no links and need for links here)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Batch Files and texmf
@ 2007-08-10 16:38             ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2007-08-10 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

> dunno, i suppose that you can mtxrun bin:cow.lnk cow.pdf but i didn't
> test that (no links and need for links here)

Mixed results:

================
mtxrun.cmd bin:Acrobat.lnk file:showcase.pdf
================

This opens Acrobat correctly (yay!)

But...

"... This file cannot be found"

so mtx is not searching the entire tree for the file?

Also:

================
texmfstart  bin:scite file:context.tex
================

does nothing. No error message, just returns the prompt. Also:

================
mtxrun.cmd  bin:scite file:context.tex
> 'scite' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
================

So maybe these commands are not searching the tree?

Best wishes
Idris

--

@ 2007-08-10 16:47               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-08-10 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
>> dunno, i suppose that you can mtxrun bin:cow.lnk cow.pdf but i didn't
>> test that (no links and need for links here)
>
> Mixed results:
>
> ================
> mtxrun.cmd bin:Acrobat.lnk file:showcase.pdf
> ================
>
> This opens Acrobat correctly (yay!)
>
> But...
>
> "... This file cannot be found"
>
> so mtx is not searching the entire tree for the file?

it should it if it's in the tree

mtxrun.cmd bin:Acrobat.lnk --pattern=show*.pdf

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Batch Files and texmf
@ 2007-08-10 17:04                 ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2007-08-10 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 10:47:21 -0600, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> mtxrun.cmd bin:Acrobat.lnk --pattern=show*.pdf

Ok, now I get 2 different messages from Acrobat; the previous one plus a
second:

"The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect"

I also tried

================
> mtxrun.cmd bin:pdfopen.exe --file showcase.pdf
pdfopen: non existent file showcase.pdf
pdfopen: mandatory `--file' argument not found.
================

So the tree is certainly not being searched by mtxrun.cmd bin:

Best
Idris

--

@ 2007-08-10 19:15 ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2007-08-10 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Adrian,

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 12:29:06 -0600, Adrian Drury <adrury@gmail.com> wrote:

> I read the list in digest form - sorry my response won't be threaded in
> properly!
>
> How about this for your question, Idris? Pure DOS batch file stuff. I
> tested
> it with notepad instead of Acrobat, but I assume it should be close to
> working as shown here.
>

> @ echo off
>
> IF "%1"=="" GOTO NOARG
>
> for /R C:\context %%n IN (.) DO IF EXIST %%n\%1 (
> Echo Found %%n\%1
> start Acrobat.lnk %%n\%1
> GOTO END
> )
>
> :NOTFOUND
> echo Couldn't find %1
> GOTO END
>
> :NOARG
> echo Specify a file name to find
>
> :END

This works beautifully! Thank you so much!!!

Best wishes
Idris

--
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid