* Installing MKiv
@ 2007-08-12 12:42 Jean Magnan de Bornier
From: Jean Magnan de Bornier @ 2007-08-12 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all, Following nice reports I read on the list as well as the mag-12
instructions I installed a context minimal linux distribution and
lua-5.1.2.  After everything seemed ok I lauch a compilation of this
test-file (found on the wiki):

% engine=luatex
\starttext
Hello from luatex
\blank
LUA
\startlua
a = 1.5
b = 1.8
c = a*b
tex.print(c)
\stoplua
\stoptext

But no pdf file appears, and here are some (hopefully) relevant parts of the
compilation message:

TeXExec | unable to fix backend map path
TeXExec | running: luatools --fmt=cont-en test.tex

LuaTools | using format name /cont-en.fmt
LuaTools | no luc/lua with name /cont-en
LuaTools |
LuaTools | runtime: 0.09 seconds
TeXUtil | unable to locate test.tui

I do have cont-en.luc and cont-en.lua!

tia
--
Jean

* Re: Installing MKiv
@ 2007-08-12 14:11 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-08-12 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jean Magnan de Bornier wrote:
> Hi all, Following nice reports I read on the list as well as the mag-12
> instructions I installed a context minimal linux distribution and
> lua-5.1.2.  After everything seemed ok I lauch a compilation of this
> test-file (found on the wiki):
>
> % engine=luatex
> \starttext
> Hello from luatex
> \blank
> LUA
> \startlua
> a = 1.5
> b = 1.8
> c = a*b
> tex.print(c)
> \stoplua
> \stoptext
>
> But no pdf file appears, and here are some (hopefully) relevant parts of the
> compilation message:
>
> TeXExec | unable to fix backend map path
> TeXExec | running: luatools --fmt=cont-en test.tex
>
> LuaTools | using format name /cont-en.fmt
> LuaTools | no luc/lua with name /cont-en

can you try with

set TEXMFCACHE=c:\temp

(remake formats)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Installing MKiv
@ 2007-08-12 14:35 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2007-08-12 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hi all, Following nice reports I read on the list as well as the mag-12
> instructions I installed a context minimal linux distribution and
> lua-5.1.2.
hmm, try
http://www.lua.org/ftp/lua-5.1.tar.gz

> % engine=luatex
> \starttext
> Hello from luatex
> \blank
> LUA
> \startlua
> a = 1.5
> b = 1.8
> c = a*b
> tex.print(c)
> \stoplua
> \stoptext
on a linux box
$>texmfstart texexec --pdf test.tex
compile well.
Are you under linux ?

--
luigi

* Re: Installing MKiv
@ 2007-08-12 19:21   ` Jean Magnan de Bornier
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Jean Magnan de Bornier @ 2007-08-12 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

luigi wrote:
| > Hi all, Following nice reports I read on the list as well as the mag-12
| > instructions I installed a context minimal linux distribution and
| > lua-5.1.2.
| hmm, try
| http://www.lua.org/ftp/lua-5.1.tar.gz
>
| > % engine=luatex
| > \starttext
| > Hello from luatex
| > \blank
| > LUA
| > \startlua
| > a = 1.5
| > b = 1.8
| > c = a*b
| > tex.print(c)
| > \stoplua
| > \stoptext
| on a linux box
| $>texmfstart texexec --pdf test.tex
| compile well.
| Are you under linux ?

Yes, I ought to have said that first!!

Now here is what I tried just now:

1/ reinstall lua by hand
2/ remove everything in /usr/local context, and unzip again justtex and
linuxtex
3/ rename /usr/local/texlive to some name unknown from my path (surely
wasn't necessary, but let's try anything...)
4/ edit setuptex and defined $TMP and $TEXMFCACHE there
5/ . setuptex
6/ texexec --make --all --pdftex
7 /texexec --make --all --xetex
8/ texexec --make --all --luatex
9/ luatools --generate
10/ luatools --ini --compile --verbose cont-en

And again, context complains the same way:

TeXExec | unable to fix backend map path
TeXExec | running: luatools --fmt=cont-en test.tex

LuaTools | using format name /tmp/luatex-cache/context/formats/cont-en.fmt
LuaTools | no luc/lua with name /tmp/luatex-cache/context/formats/cont-en
LuaTools |
LuaTools | runtime: 0.12 seconds
TeXUtil | unable to locate test.tui

actually then, even pdftex is broken!

I'm certainly missing something obvious?
--
Jean

* Re: Installing MKiv
@ 2007-08-12 19:45     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-08-12 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jean Magnan de Bornier wrote:

> actually then, even pdftex is broken!

weird

anyhow, tomorrow there will be a new release of luatex (some font fixes)
and i'll generate new minimals then

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Installing MKiv
@ 2007-08-12 20:45     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2007-08-12 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8/12/07, Jean Magnan de Bornier <jm.bornier@free.fr> wrote:
> luigi wrote:
> | > Hi all, Following nice reports I read on the list as well as the mag-12
> | > instructions I installed a context minimal linux distribution and
> | > lua-5.1.2.
> | hmm, try
> | http://www.lua.org/ftp/lua-5.1.tar.gz
> >
> | > % engine=luatex
> | > \starttext
> | > Hello from luatex
> | > \blank
> | > LUA
> | > \startlua
> | > a = 1.5
> | > b = 1.8
> | > c = a*b
> | > tex.print(c)
> | > \stoplua
> | > \stoptext
> | on a linux box
> | $>texmfstart texexec --pdf test.tex
> | compile well.
> | Are you under linux ?
>
> Yes, I ought to have said that first!!
>
> Now here is what I tried just now:
>
> 1/ reinstall lua by hand
> 2/ remove everything in /usr/local context, and unzip again justtex and
> linuxtex
> 3/ rename /usr/local/texlive to some name unknown from my path (surely
> wasn't necessary, but let's try anything...)
> 4/ edit setuptex and defined $TMP and $TEXMFCACHE there
> 5/ . setuptex
> 6/ texexec --make --all --pdftex
> 7 /texexec --make --all --xetex
> 8/ texexec --make --all --luatex
> 9/ luatools --generate
> 10/ luatools --ini --compile --verbose cont-en
>
> And again, context complains the same way:
>
> TeXExec | unable to fix backend map path
> TeXExec | running: luatools --fmt=cont-en test.tex
>
> LuaTools | using format name /tmp/luatex-cache/context/formats/cont-en.fmt
> LuaTools | no luc/lua with name /tmp/luatex-cache/context/formats/cont-en
> LuaTools |
> LuaTools | runtime: 0.12 seconds
> TeXUtil | unable to locate test.tui
>
> actually then, even pdftex is broken!
>
> I'm certainly missing something obvious?
hmm maybe mktexlsr
5a/ mktexlsr ; luatools --generate
6/ texmfstart texexec --make --all --pdftex
7/ texmfstart texexec --make --all --luatoolss
--
luigi

* Re: Installing MKiv
@ 2007-08-12 23:54     ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2007-08-12 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Jean,

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 13:21:17 -0600, Jean Magnan de Bornier
<jm.bornier@free.fr> wrote:

> LuaTools | using format name
> /tmp/luatex-cache/context/formats/cont-en.fmt
> LuaTools | no luc/lua with name /tmp/luatex-cache/context/formats/cont-en
> LuaTools |
> LuaTools | runtime: 0.12 seconds
> TeXUtil | unable to locate test.tui

I've gotten this same mesasge on windows when I first installed mkiv.
There is something screwy going on...

The only way I got it to stop was by initializing the setuptex script
BEFORE opening my editor. If I initialize setuptex afterwards it does not
work.

Best wishes
Idris

--
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy

* Re: Installing MKiv
@ 2007-08-13  6:03       ` Jean Magnan de Bornier
From: Jean Magnan de Bornier @ 2007-08-13  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 12 août à 22:45:00 "luigi scarso" <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> écrit notamment:

| > I'm certainly missing something obvious?
| hmm maybe mktexlsr
| 5a/ mktexlsr ; luatools --generate
| 6/ texmfstart texexec --make --all --pdftex
| 7/ texmfstart texexec --make --all --luatoolss
did you mean luatex here               ^^^^^^^^^ ?

Hm, no more joy here :-(
thx anyway
--
jean

* Re: Installing MKiv
@ 2007-08-13  6:04       ` Jean Magnan de Bornier
From: Jean Magnan de Bornier @ 2007-08-13  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 12 août à 21:45:09 Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> écrit notamment:

| anyhow, tomorrow there will be a new release of luatex (some font fixes)
| and i'll generate new minimals then

I'll look forward to that, thx
--
jean

* Re: Installing MKiv
@ 2007-08-13  6:06       ` Jean Magnan de Bornier
From: Jean Magnan de Bornier @ 2007-08-13  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 13 août à 01:54:50 "Idris Samawi Hamid" <ishamid@colostate.edu> écrit notamment:

| The only way I got it to stop was by initializing the setuptex script
| BEFORE opening my editor. If I initialize setuptex afterwards it does not
| work.

Actually I'm not within an editor, just in the shell, typing "texmfstart
texexec test.tex"

Thx,
--
jean

* Re: Installing MKiv
@ 2007-08-13  6:28         ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2007-08-13  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8/13/07, Jean Magnan de Bornier <jm.bornier@free.fr> wrote:
> Le 12 août à 22:45:00 "luigi scarso" <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> écrit notamment:
>

> | > I'm certainly missing something obvious?
> | hmm maybe mktexlsr
> | 5a/ mktexlsr ; luatools --generate
> | 6/ texmfstart texexec --make --all --pdftex
> | 7/ texmfstart texexec --make --all --luatoolss
> did you mean luatex here               ^^^^^^^^^ ?
yes

> Hm, no more joy here :-(
> thx anyway
> --
> jean
ok, with next release (coming soon, I believe) I will carefully write
down all steps.
If you want to make a last try give a look at
http://luatex.bluwiki.com/go/User:Luigi.scarso

--
luigi

* Re: Installing MKiv
@ 2007-08-13  7:33           ` Jean Magnan de Bornier
From: Jean Magnan de Bornier @ 2007-08-13  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 13 août à 08:28:13 "luigi scarso" <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> écrit notamment:

| ok, with next release (coming soon, I believe) I will carefully write
| down all steps.
| If you want to make a last try give a look at
| http://luatex.bluwiki.com/go/User:Luigi.scarso

last try following the wiki; I get a lot of messages like this:

Missing script file
sh: luac: command not found
LuaTools | compiling files to /5662e38911d8bbd6bbfe8f2fa42911c4.tmc
LuaTools | compiling failed for files, deleting file /5662e38911d8bbd6bbfe8f2fa42911c4.tmc

(right now I still have the standard luatex)
--
jean

* Re: Installing MKiv
@ 2007-08-13 12:43         ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2007-08-13 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 00:06:02 -0600, Jean Magnan de Bornier
<jm.bornier@free.fr> wrote:

> Le 13 août à 01:54:50 "Idris Samawi Hamid" <ishamid@colostate.edu> écrit
> notamment:
>
> | The only way I got it to stop was by initializing the setuptex script
> | BEFORE opening my editor. If I initialize setuptex afterwards it does
> not
> | work.
>
> Actually I'm not within an editor, just in the shell, typing "texmfstart
> texexec test.tex"

That was exectly my point. If I said, from the prompt,

> setuptex c:\context\tex
> texmfstart texexec test.tex

I get the same message you got.***** When I initialize my editor first
(see the cscite script that somes with the larger versions of the
distribution), then I can launch a console or shell from the editor and it
works.

Try launching your shell by appropriately modifying the cscite shell
script. Here it is to save you trouble.

=============
# author: Hans Hagen - PRAGMA ADE - Hasselt NL - www.pragma-ade.com

OWNPATH="$PWD"

$OWNPATH/tex/setuptex $OWNPATH/tex

texmfstart exaserver.rb --start --port=8061 --ipurl &

$OWNPATH/scite/lscite/scite
=============

Now on Windows the script is quite different, and longer, but once I setup
my launch application (notepad++ in this case) mkiv worked fine. I don't
pretend to understand why.

Best wishes
Idris

***** The thing about that error is that, when I run

texmfstart texexec test.tex

mkiv creates another cache tree and ignores the one where it built the
formats.

@ 2007-08-13 13:54             ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-08-13 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007, Jean Magnan de Bornier wrote:

> Le 13 août à 08:28:13 "luigi scarso" <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> écrit notamment:
>
> | ok, with next release (coming soon, I believe) I will carefully write
> | down all steps.
> | If you want to make a last try give a look at
> | http://luatex.bluwiki.com/go/User:Luigi.scarso
>
> last try following the wiki; I get a lot of messages like this:
>
> Missing script file
> sh: luac: command not found
> LuaTools | compiling files to /5662e38911d8bbd6bbfe8f2fa42911c4.tmc
> LuaTools | compiling failed for files, deleting file /5662e38911d8bbd6bbfe8f2fa42911c4.tmc
>
> (right now I still have the standard luatex)

AFAIU, this is ok. luac is a file for compiling lua code into byte
code so that it runs faster. You need to install lua to get luac. If
you do not have luac, the program will run slightly slower, but other
than that, everything will be fine.

Aditya

* Re: Installing MKiv
@ 2007-08-13 15:14           ` Jean Magnan de Bornier
From: Jean Magnan de Bornier @ 2007-08-13 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 13 août à 14:43:11 "Idris Samawi Hamid" <ishamid@colostate.edu> écrit notamment:

| On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 00:06:02 -0600, Jean Magnan de Bornier
| <jm.bornier@free.fr> wrote:
>
| > Le 13 août à 01:54:50 "Idris Samawi Hamid" <ishamid@colostate.edu> écrit
| > notamment:
| >
| > | The only way I got it to stop was by initializing the setuptex script
| > | BEFORE opening my editor. If I initialize setuptex afterwards it does
| > not
| > | work.
| >
| > Actually I'm not within an editor, just in the shell, typing "texmfstart
| > texexec test.tex"
>
| That was exectly my point. If I said, from the prompt,
>
| > setuptex c:\context\tex
| > texmfstart texexec test.tex
>
| I get the same message you got.***** When I initialize my editor first
| (see the cscite script that somes with the larger versions of the
| distribution), then I can launch a console or shell from the editor and it
| works.
>
| Try launching your shell by appropriately modifying the cscite shell
| script. Here it is to save you trouble.
>
| =============
| # author: Hans Hagen - PRAGMA ADE - Hasselt NL - www.pragma-ade.com
>
| OWNPATH="$PWD"
>
| $OWNPATH/tex/setuptex $OWNPATH/tex
>
| texmfstart exaserver.rb --start --port=8061 --ipurl &
>
| $OWNPATH/scite/lscite/scite
| =============

Sorry, I had not understood you; I don't use scite, is it problem with
luatex?

--
Jean

* Re: Installing MKiv
@ 2007-08-13 15:35             ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2007-08-13 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 09:14:28 -0600, Jean Magnan de Bornier
<jm.bornier@free.fr> wrote:

> Sorry, I had not understood you; I don't use scite, is it problem with
> luatex?

It is a problem with the caching method used by luatex, as far as I can
tell.

Idris

--

@ 2011-10-22 18:08 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-10-22 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 22.10.2011 um 19:59 schrieb Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini:

> Hallo,
>
> I tried to install a mkiv-only context with:
>
> first-setup --context=luatex
>
> but there is no texmf-context folder.
> What I am doing wrong?

It’s “first-setup.sh --engine=luatex”.

Wolfgang

* installing mkiv
@ 2011-10-22 17:59 Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini
From: Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini @ 2011-10-22 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hallo,

I tried to install a mkiv-only context with:

first-setup --context=luatex

but there is no texmf-context folder.
What I am doing wrong?

Wolfgang

* Re: installing MKIV
@ 2007-08-11  8:27                         ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2007-08-11  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Friday, August 10, 2007 Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
>>
>> Actually, /usr/bin/luatex --luaonly could be used as
>> shebang. It doesn't work on all systems, but it should work
>> on most modern installations.

> Yes, but #!/usr/bin/env luatex --luaonly is much less portable, and
> tex-related binaries are hardly ever in fixed locations.

Oh right, env. Well, it works on my system even with env,
but I know, I'm just lucky :)

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: installing MKIV
@ 2007-08-10 16:15                       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-08-10 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
> Wednesday, August 8, 2007 Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> has to do with unix where the shebang line will only work with texlua
>> since "luatex --luaonly" cannot be given, but there it's a symlink
>
> Actually, /usr/bin/luatex --luaonly could be used as
> shebang. It doesn't work on all systems, but it should work
> on most modern installations.

Yes, but #!/usr/bin/env luatex --luaonly is much less portable, and
tex-related binaries are hardly ever in fixed locations.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: installing MKIV
@ 2007-08-10 15:02                     ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2007-08-10 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2007-08-09 13:47                     ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2007-08-09 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joel C. Salomon schrieb:
>>> - no need to install anything else (no huge ruby/perl or whatever)
>>> - bytcode compiler in sync with luatex internals
>>> - texlua has the libs that we need built in
>>>
>> it's just that i don't see the need for three identical files, when you
>> can use one with different (mode switching) parameters. yes, i know.
>> it's an early beta.
>
> If you're concerned about the the 7 MB -- or in my case, not sure
> you'll remember to update all three files at once -- and you're on a
> machine with NTFS, you can create hard links.

Hi Joel,

I don't think that there will be mulitple copies anymore.
And you are right: you can use hard links (NTFS only, so this is no
general solution)

on Windows XP:

fsutil hardlink create <new file name> <old file name>

In comparison to the symlinks that I created with 'junction', these
links are found. Thanks for the pointer.

Best, Peter

> --Joel

* Re: installing MKIV
@ 2007-08-09 13:04                   ` Joel C. Salomon
From: Joel C. Salomon @ 2007-08-09 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt

@ 2007-08-08 21:05                   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-08-08 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Rolf wrote:
> Hans Hagen schrieb:
>> Peter Rolf wrote:

>>> i see. but on windows you waste more than 7mb disk space this way.
>>> installing the lua binaries costs only 288kb. so where is the benefit?
>>>
>>> there must be a better way.
>> these 7 meg gave as advantage
>>
>> - no need to install anything else (no huge ruby/perl or whatever)
>> - bytcode compiler in sync with luatex internals
>> - texlua has the libs that we need built in

has to do with unix where the shebang line will only work with texlua
since "luatex --luaonly" cannot be given, but there it's a symlink

on windows one can copy and/or create an alias or use a small stub;
future versions may have a core dll and three small binaries ... who knows

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: installing MKIV
@ 2007-08-08 20:35                 ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2007-08-08 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen schrieb:
> Peter Rolf wrote:
>>>   Alternatively, you can use LuaTeX itself as the lua interpreter and
>>> compiler. That is, the same binary will act as:
>>>
>>>   LuaTeX proper when called luatex(.exe)
>>>   lua when called texlua(.exe) (equivalent to luatex --luaonly)
>>>   luac, the compiler, when called texluac.(exe)
>>>
>>>   So you don't even need lua anymore.
>> i see. but on windows you waste more than 7mb disk space this way.
>> installing the lua binaries costs only 288kb. so where is the benefit?
>>
>> there must be a better way.
>
> these 7 meg gave as advantage
>
> - no need to install anything else (no huge ruby/perl or whatever)
> - bytcode compiler in sync with luatex internals
> - texlua has the libs that we need built in

i see the advantages :)

it's just that i don't see the need for three identical files, when you
can use one with different (mode switching) parameters. yes, i know.
it's an early beta.

> alternatives:
>
> -- texlua.cmd --
>
> @echo off
> setlocal
> set ownpath=%~dp0%
> "%ownpath%luatex" --luaonly %*
> endlocal

this one is already in my bin dir. but i couldn't find a similar
parameter for texluac. also my tries with 'junction' (a sysinternals
tool for creating links) didn't succeed. the created links were not found.

> and similar for texluac
>
> Hans

>       tel: 038 477 53 69 | fax: 038 477 53 74 | www.pragma-ade.com
>                                               | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: installing MKIV
@ 2007-08-08 20:04           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-08-08 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joel C. Salomon wrote:
> On 8/8/07, Arthur Reutenauer <arthur.reutenauer@normalesup.org> wrote:
>>> Where luatex is located in PRAGMA? I see only cont-tfm.zip. I use
>>> TeXLive, so only luatex binaries I'm missing now.
>>   In the minimal distribution (mswintex.zip for Windows, linuxtex.zip etc ...).
>
> So the stand-alone mswincontext.zip will have everything I need to
> experiment with luatex (and XeTeX)?
>
> Just trying to confirm what I think I've understood.

yes: pdftex, xetex, luatex are in there

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: installing MKIV
@ 2007-08-08 19:49               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-08-08 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Rolf wrote:
> Arthur Reutenauer schrieb:
>>> luac5.1.exe [TO] luac.exe
>>> etc.
>>   Alternatively, you can use LuaTeX itself as the lua interpreter and
>> compiler. That is, the same binary will act as:
>>
>>   LuaTeX proper when called luatex(.exe)
>>   lua when called texlua(.exe) (equivalent to luatex --luaonly)
>>   luac, the compiler, when called texluac.(exe)
>>
>>   So you don't even need lua anymore.
>
> i see. but on windows you waste more than 7mb disk space this way.
> installing the lua binaries costs only 288kb. so where is the benefit?
>
> there must be a better way.

these 7 meg gave as advantage

- no need to install anything else (no huge ruby/perl or whatever)
- bytcode compiler in sync with luatex internals
- texlua has the libs that we need built in

alternatives:

-- texlua.cmd --

@echo off
setlocal
set ownpath=%~dp0%
"%ownpath%luatex" --luaonly %*
endlocal

and similar for texluac

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: installing MKIV
@ 2007-08-08 18:52           ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2007-08-08 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

> So the stand-alone mswincontext.zip will have everything I need to
> experiment with luatex (and XeTeX)?

  Yes.

* Re: installing MKIV
@ 2007-08-08 18:41         ` Joel C. Salomon
From: Joel C. Salomon @ 2007-08-08 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt

       [not found]     ` <20070808123824.GD20266@phare.normalesup.org>
@ 2007-08-08 14:26     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-08-08 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arthur Reutenauer wrote:

>> And just for curioisty, where such names as Mark II and Mark IV come from?

% engine=luatex language=uk

\startcomponent mk-iitoiv

\environment mk-environment

\chapter{From \MKII\ to \MKIV}

Sometime in 2005 the development of \LUATEX\ started, a further
development of \PDFTEX\ and a precursor to \PDFTEX\ version~2. This
\TEX\ variant will provide:

\startitemize[packed]
\item 21--32 bit internals plus a code cleanup
\item flexible support for \OPENTYPE\ fonts
\item an internal \UTF\ data flow
\item the bidirectional typesetting of \ALEPH
\item \LUA\ callbacks to the most relevant \TEX\ internals
\item some extensions to \TEX\ (for instance math)
\item an efficient way to communicate with \METAPOST
\stopitemize

In the tradition of \TEX\ this successor will be downward
compatible in most essential parts and in the end, there is
still \PDFTEX\ version~1 as fall back.

In the mean time we have seen another unicode variant show up,
\XETEX\ which is under active development, uses external
libraries, provides access to the fonts on the operating system,
etc.

 From the beginning, \CONTEXT\ always worked with all engines. This
was achieved by conditional code blocks: depending on what engine
was used, different code was put in the format and|/|or used at
runtime. Users normally were unaware of this. Examples of engines
are \ETEX, \ALEPH, and \XETEX. Because nowadays all engines
provide the \ETEX\ features, in August 2006 we decided to consider
those features to be present and drop providing the standard \TEX\
compatible variants. This is a small effort because all code that
is sensitive for optimization already has \ETEX\ code branches for
many years.

However, with the arrival of \LUATEX, we need a more drastic approach.
Quite some existing code can go away and will be replaced by different
solutions. Where \TEX\ code ends up in the format file, along with
its state, \LUA\ code will be initiated at run time, after a \LUA\
instance is started. \CONTEXT\ reserves its own instance of \LUA.

Most of this will go unnoticed for the users because the user
interface will not change. For developers however, we need to
provide a mechanism to deal with these issues. This is why, for the
first time in \CONTEXT's history we will officially use a kind of
version tag. When we changed the low level interface from Dutch to
English we jokingly talked of version~2. So, it makes sense to
follow this lead.

\startitemize[packed]

\item \notabene {\CONTEXT\ \MKI}\quad At that moment we still had a
low level Dutch interface, invisible for users but not for developers.

\item \notabene {\CONTEXT\ \MKII}\quad We now have a low level English
interface, which (as we indeed saw happen) triggers more development by
users.

\item \notabene {\CONTEXT\ \MKIV}\quad This is the next generation of
\CONTEXT, with parts re||implemented. It's an at some points drastic
system overhaul.

\stopitemize

Keep in mind that the functionality does not change, although in
some places, for instance fonts, \MKIV\ may provide additional
functionality. The reason why most users will not notice the
difference (maybe apart from performance and convenience) is that at
the user interface level nothing changes (most of it deals with
typesetting, not with low level details).

The hole in the numbering permits us to provide a \MKIII\ version
as well. Once \XETEX\ is stable, we may use that slot for \XETEX\
specific implementations.

As per August 2006 the banner is adapted to this distinction:

\starttyping
...  ver: 2006.09.06 22:46 MK II  fmt: 2006.9.6  ...
...  ver: 2006.09.06 22:47 MK IV  fmt: 2006.9.6  ...
\stoptyping

This numbering system is reflected at the file level in such a way
that we can keep developing the way we do, i.e.\ no files all over
the place, in subdirectories, etc.

Most of the system's core files are not affected, but some may be, like
those dealing with fonts, input- and output encodings, file handling,
etc. Those files may come with different suffixes:

\startitemize

\item \type {somefile.tex}: the main file, implementing the interface
and common code

\item \type {somefile.mkii}: mostly existing code, suitable for good
old \TEX\ (\ETEX, \PDFTEX, \ALEPH).

\item \type {somefile.mkiv}: code optimized for use with \LUATEX, which
could follow completely different approaches

\item \type {somefile.lua}: \LUA\ code, loaded at format generation time
and|/|or runtime

\stopitemize

As said, some day \type {somefile.mkiii} code may show up. Which
variant is loaded is determined automatically at format generation
time as well as at run time.

\stopcomponent

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: installing MKIV
@ 2007-08-08 14:23             ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2007-08-08 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arthur Reutenauer schrieb:
>> luac5.1.exe [TO] luac.exe
>> etc.
>
>   Alternatively, you can use LuaTeX itself as the lua interpreter and
> compiler. That is, the same binary will act as:
>
>   LuaTeX proper when called luatex(.exe)
>   lua when called texlua(.exe) (equivalent to luatex --luaonly)
>   luac, the compiler, when called texluac.(exe)
>
>   So you don't even need lua anymore.

i see. but on windows you waste more than 7mb disk space this way.
installing the lua binaries costs only 288kb. so where is the benefit?

there must be a better way.

peter

* Re: installing MKIV
@ 2007-08-08 13:50           ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2007-08-08 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2007-08-08 13:48           ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2007-08-08 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Rolf; +Cc: ntg-context-request@ntg.nl

Hello Peter,

> i assume that you have installed the lua5.1 binaries and that they are
> in the $PATH.

Ha, I didn't install Lua at all. I assumed that it has already been integrated everywhere. :)

--
Best regards,
Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky

* Re: installing MKIV
@ 2007-08-08 13:34         ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2007-08-08 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky schrieb:
> Hello Taco,
>
> I'm installing luatex according to 'This Way'.  On the last step, when generating format files, I get the following:
>
> C:\TeXLive2007\bin\win32>luatools --generate >log
> 'texluac' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.
> 'luac' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.
> 'texluac' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.
> 'luac' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.
>
> I can provide any additional info.

i assume that you have installed the lua5.1 binaries and that they are
in the $PATH.

then simply remove the version number from the lua binaries.

luac5.1.exe [TO] luac.exe
etc.

on other file systems you have symbolic links for this

luac --> luac5.1

giving you the freedom to use several different versions in the same
directory.

if someone knows a better way on windows, please let me know.

hth, peter

* Re: installing MKIV
       [not found]         ` <20070808131133.GG20266@phare.normalesup.org>
@ 2007-08-08 13:18           ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2007-08-08 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arthur Reutenauer; +Cc: ntg-context-request@ntg.nl

Hello Arthur,

Yes, I've got that mail in the list.

I was surprised too when occassionally found my namesake in the TeX community. I'm pleased that he is great! But I don't know Boguslaw personally and even don't have (known) relatives in Poland.

So, Yatskovskie are prone to TeX.

:)

--
Best regards,
Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky

* Re: installing MKIV
@ 2007-08-08 12:52       ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2007-08-08 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Taco Hoekwater; +Cc: ntg-context-request@ntg.nl

@ 2007-08-08 12:52       ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2007-08-08 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I meant  www.luatex.org, really. It drops that error when I try do
> download win32 release.

  The binaries have been available there only very recently, so most
people aren't yet aware of it.

@ 2007-08-08 12:50   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-08-08 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Installing MKIV as described in This Way magazine is somewhat tricky. But first of all, I cannot get LuaTEX! When I try to download win32 binaries from liatex.org, I get "404 Error - Bestand niet gevonden!"
>
> And just for curioisty, where such names as Mark II and Mark IV come from?

is revealed in mk.pdf

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: installing MKIV
@ 2007-08-08 12:35     ` Taco Hoekwater
       [not found]     ` <20070808123824.GD20266@phare.normalesup.org>
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-08-08 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

>   They are simply numbers for the different TeX engines ... Hans
> dismissed 1, deeming we were already beyond that stage (but it could be
> traditional TeX, producing only DVI). Appart from that, we have:

One (1) was the original low-level dutch version.

Taco

* Re: installing MKIV
@ 2007-08-08 12:27   ` Arthur Reutenauer
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2007-08-08 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Installing MKIV as described in This Way magazine is somewhat tricky.
> But first of all, I cannot get LuaTEX!

  luatex.org is still under development; you should be able to download
it soon.

  Alternatively, you should get the exact same binary at the GForge server
at supelec.fr (http://foundry.supelec.fr/frs/?group_id=10), and you can
try the minimal mswintex.zip distribution from the Pragma site
(http://www.pragma-ade.com/download-1.htm).

> And just for curioisty, where such names as Mark II and Mark IV come from?

  They are simply numbers for the different TeX engines ... Hans
dismissed 1, deeming we were already beyond that stage (but it could be
traditional TeX, producing only DVI). Appart from that, we have:

  2: pdfTeX
  3: XeTeX (Mark III is much less spoken about, but is also very active ;-)
  4: LuaTeX

> -- Best regards, Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky

  You know, I've been reading your name a lot of times as you've written
quite a few mails to the list, but it's the first time I realize that
you actually have the same name as the great Polish TeX old timer and
font developer, Bogusław Jackowski. Of course the Polish spelling is a
bit different, but it's nevertheless the exact same name. I guess the
Russian spelling is Яцковский?

	Arthur

* Re: installing MKIV
@ 2007-08-08 12:23     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-08-08 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

luigi scarso wrote:
> On 8/8/07, Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky <yatskovsky@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Installing MKIV as described in This Way magazine is somewhat tricky. But first of all, I cannot get LuaTEX! When I try to download win32 binaries from liatex.org, I get "404 Error - Bestand niet gevonden!"
>
> maybe
> www.luatex.org

Hans is working on the site at the moment, so those links do not work
yet. If you want the luatex binary only, go to

   http://foundry.supelec.fr/frs/?group_id=10

> but see pragma site or mirror, it's better

but this is probably a better idea, since otherwise you have to
update context separately.

Best wishes,
Taco

> and
> wiki.contextgarden.net/Mark_IV
>> And just for curioisty, where such names as Mark II and Mark IV come from?
> ..from outer space ?
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/images/0/0e/MKIV.avi

* Re: installing MKIV
@ 2007-08-08 12:18     ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2007-08-08 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: luigi scarso; +Cc: ntg-context-request@ntg.nl

Hello luigi,

thanks.
I meant  www.luatex.org, really. It drops that error when I try do download win32 release.

Where luatex is located in PRAGMA? I see only cont-tfm.zip. I use TeXLive, so only luatex binaries I'm missing now.

>> And just for curioisty, where such names as Mark II and Mark IV come from?
> ..from outer space ?
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/images/0/0e/MKIV.avi

:)))

--
Best regards,
Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky

* Re: installing MKIV
@ 2007-08-08 12:12   ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2007-08-08 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8/8/07, Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky <yatskovsky@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Installing MKIV as described in This Way magazine is somewhat tricky. But first of all, I cannot get LuaTEX! When I try to download win32 binaries from liatex.org, I get "404 Error - Bestand niet gevonden!"

maybe
www.luatex.org
but see pragma site or mirror, it's better
and
wiki.contextgarden.net/Mark_IV
> And just for curioisty, where such names as Mark II and Mark IV come from?
..from outer space ?
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/images/0/0e/MKIV.avi
--
luigi