* ConTeXt, Framemaker, and InDesign
@ 2008-06-30 16:53 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2008-06-30 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear gang,

There has been some discussion on the list lately comparing ConTeXt with
InDesign. Are there any Framemaker users on the list? I'm interested in
comparisons between ConTeXt and Framemaker, with cross-comparisons with
InDesign as appropriate.

What does ConTeXt have that Framemaker does not?

What does Framemaker have that ConTeXt does not? (svg integration comes to
mind -- there's been some svg discussion here the last couple of days).

 From what I know of Framemaker -- structured processing etc, it seems that
would be a more a~propos comparison with ConTeXt than InDesign.

Eventually I would like to establish a wiki page with detailed and
accurate comparisons between ConTeXt, InDesign, Framemaker, and perhaps
other DTP applications as well. I even plan to get my hands on the
"competition" so I can get more 1st hands knowledge for my own edification.

Best wishes
Idris

International Journal of Shi`i Studies
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: ConTeXt, Framemaker, and InDesign
@ 2008-06-30 22:00 ` Charles P. Schaum
From: Charles P. Schaum @ 2008-06-30 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oh, I WISH I had Framemaker...

But this might be interesting. Setting up margin notes in InDesign is
considered to be an "Intermediate to advanced feature." It may well be
possible to have more recurrent structured elements in Framemaker, but I
would suggest that only TeX and friends can do something like structured
recurrent text elements that might vary according to anything more than
a trivial algorithm.

I dunno. \inmargin seemed pretty simple to me... I think that my
designer may be jealous. ;-)

@ 2008-06-30 22:18 ` Martin Schröder
From: Martin Schröder @ 2008-06-30 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

2008/6/30 Idris Samawi Hamid <ishamid@colostate.edu>:
> What does ConTeXt have that Framemaker does not?

I don't know about ConTeXt, but I know that something like LaTeX's
\include/\includeonly was a new feature of Frame 7 (from 2002). And
I'd be surprised if it's math support doesn't suck compared to TeX's. :-)

> What does Framemaker have that ConTeXt does not? (svg integration comes to
> mind -- there's been some svg discussion here the last couple of days).

tagged pdf export, Quark & Pagemaker import, ...

>  From what I know of Framemaker -- structured processing etc, it seems that
> would be a more a~propos comparison with ConTeXt than InDesign.

FrameMaker 7 <-> InDesign 2: http://dcortesi.home.mindspring.com/ID-FM.htm

I've heard that FM is a very good XML editor.

Best
   Martom

* Re: ConTeXt, Framemaker, and InDesign
@ 2008-07-01  3:09   ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2008-07-01  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Martin,

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 16:18:37 -0600, Martin Schröder <martin@oneiros.de>
wrote:

> 2008/6/30 Idris Samawi Hamid <ishamid@colostate.edu>:
>> What does ConTeXt have that Framemaker does not?
>
> I don't know about ConTeXt, but I know that something like LaTeX's
> \include/\includeonly was a new feature of Frame 7 (from 2002).

What is \include/\includeonly?

[Since switching to Context six years ago-- wow, has it really been that
long? -- I have not looked back]

@ 2008-07-01  3:58     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-07-01  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008, Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
> On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 16:18:37 -0600, Martin Schröder <martin@oneiros.de>
> wrote:
>
>> 2008/6/30 Idris Samawi Hamid <ishamid@colostate.edu>:
>>> What does ConTeXt have that Framemaker does not?
>>
>> I don't know about ConTeXt, but I know that something like LaTeX's
>> \include/\includeonly was a new feature of Frame 7 (from 2002).
>
> What is \include/\includeonly?

Suppose you are writing a book with 15 chapters, and it takes a long time
to compile your chapters. In LaTeX, you can include each chapter using
\include {name of file} and then add a command \includeonly{a few
chapters} on the top of your file. Only the chapters specified by
\includeonly are included. So, it saves a lot of time in compiling the
file. (I think there is also a command to exclude specific chapters).

It is roughly similar to compiling only a component of a big project in
ConTeXt. However, I feel that the latex version works better since it
maintains the numbering of chapters, etc.

For example, in latex if I include chapter 3 of a big book, its chapter
number will be 3, and all the cross references to material outside that
chapter will be correct.

In Context, if I compile the component containing chapter 3, its number
will start from 1. I can get correct cross references by using
\usereferences (and ignore the duplicate references warning), but the
numbering of the compiled component is incorrect. This is one are where I
wish context had better support.

Note that latex's method is not perfect. \include starts a new page, but
that way it can ensure that the materical of included file is somewhat
isolated with rest of the material. Context's \component does not start a
new page, which is often times useful.

Aditya

* Re: ConTeXt, Framemaker, and InDesign
@ 2008-07-01  7:56       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-07-01  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jun 2008, Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
>
>> Hi Martin,
>>
>> On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 16:18:37 -0600, Martin Schröder <martin@oneiros.de>
>> wrote:

>>> I don't know about ConTeXt, but I know that something like LaTeX's
>>> \include/\includeonly was a new feature of Frame 7 (from 2002).
>>
>> What is \include/\includeonly?
>>

> Suppose you are writing a book with 15 chapters, and it takes a long
> time to compile your chapters. In LaTeX, you can include each chapter
> using \include {name of file} and then add a command \includeonly{a few
> chapters} on the top of your file. Only the chapters specified by
> \includeonly are included. So, it saves a lot of time in compiling the
> file. (I think there is also a command to exclude specific chapters).
>
> It is roughly similar to compiling only a component of a big project in
> ConTeXt. However, I feel that the latex version works better since it
> maintains the numbering of chapters, etc.
>
> For example, in latex if I include chapter 3 of a big book, its chapter
> number will be 3, and all the cross references to material outside that
> chapter will be correct.
>
> In Context, if I compile the component containing chapter 3, its number
> will start from 1. I can get correct cross references by using
> \usereferences (and ignore the duplicate references warning), but the
> numbering of the compiled component is incorrect. This is one are where
> I wish context had better support.
>
> Note that latex's method is not perfect. \include starts a new page, but
> that way it can ensure that the materical of included file is somewhat
> isolated with rest of the material. Context's \component does not start
> a new page, which is often times useful.

for that purpose there has always been

\setuphead[chapter][incrementnumber=somefilename] % whole doc file

(just as there are parallel documents and such)

but i haven't used it in 10 years; maybe i pick up this feature for mkiv

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-07-01 13:25         ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2008-07-01 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 01:56:22 -0600, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

>> In Context, if I compile the component containing chapter 3, its number
>> will start from 1. I can get correct cross references by using
>> \usereferences (and ignore the duplicate references warning), but the
>> numbering of the compiled component is incorrect. This is one are where
>> I wish context had better support.
>>
>> Note that latex's method is not perfect. \include starts a new page, but
>> that way it can ensure that the materical of included file is somewhat
>> isolated with rest of the material. Context's \component does not start
>> a new page, which is often times useful.

> for that purpose there has always been
> \setuphead[chapter][incrementnumber=somefilename] % whole doc file
> (just as there are parallel documents and such)

> but i haven't used it in 10 years; maybe i pick up this feature for mkiv

I hope so, that would be really useful!

(so many undocumented features... we really need to start working on that
book and shake the tree...)

@ 2008-07-01 23:18         ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-07-01 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008, Hans Hagen wrote:

> for that purpose there has always been
>
> \setuphead[chapter][incrementnumber=somefilename] % whole doc file
>
> (just as there are parallel documents and such)

I cannot get this feature to work. See the attached sample files.

I have a product file, prod.tex, two components, chap1.tex, chap2.tex and
an evironment file containing \setuphead[chapter][incrementnumber=prod].

I first compile the whole product, then I compile chap2, but the chapter
number is 1.

Aditya

[-- Attachment #2: Type: APPLICATION/zip, Size: 913 bytes --]

* Re: ConTeXt, Framemaker, and InDesign
@ 2008-07-02  6:29           ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-07-02  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 1:18 AM, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Jul 2008, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> for that purpose there has always been
>>
>> \setuphead[chapter][incrementnumber=somefilename] % whole doc file
>>
>> (just as there are parallel documents and such)
>
> I cannot get this feature to work. See the attached sample files.
>
> I have a product file, prod.tex, two components, chap1.tex, chap2.tex and an
> evironment file containing \setuphead[chapter][incrementnumber=prod].
>
> I first compile the whole product, then I compile chap2, but the chapter
> number is 1.

I think you can make two products where the second product starts with
the last number from the first product but not tested from my side.

\startproduct prod2

\setuphead[chapter][incrementnumber=prod1]

\stopproduct

Regards
Wolfgang