* Project Structure in MkIV
@ 2011-10-30 13:58 Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد @ 2011-10-30 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear gang,

I am porting a huge project from mkii to mkiv and am running into
structure problems. I now realize that

\start-stopproject

no longer compiles the entire project, just stick to products and
components. I am also dividing what was one long book into two books, and
I'd like to compile both books at once to keep cross-references between
the two books operative: I've turned the project into a product, the
products into components, and components into inputs. Obviously I'm
running into problems ;-) :

First:One thing that is unclear now is how the \environment is inherited.
Attached is a basic test set.

If I compile the product file islamwalayah.tex, I get the expected output
it appears.

If I compile the component file islamcosmology.tex, the alias \Islam gives
an undefined control sequence. That is, it does not inherit
env-aliases.tex.

If I comment % \Islam the component file compiles, but the layout is not
inherited from env-islamwalayah.tex.

How do I fix this? Any related general advice?

Files listed inline below, attached as well for testing, and

Best wishes
Idris

==========islamwalayah.tex============
\environment env-islamwalayah
\environment env-aliases
\startproduct islamwalayah

\component islamcosmology      % Book One
% \component islamspirituality % Book Two
\stopproduct
==================================

=======env-islamwalayah.tex=======
\startenvironment env-islamwalayah
\setuplayout[width=7in]
\stopenvironment
==================================

=========env-aliases.tex==========
\startenvironment env-aliases
\def \Islam{Islām}
\stopenvironment
==================================

=======islamcosmology.tex=========
\startcomponent islamcosmology
\product islamwalayah

% below is actually \input title-cw
\starttext
\Islam

\input tufte
\stoptext
\stopcomponent
==================================

International Journal of Shīʿī Studies
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

[-- Attachment #2: env-aliases.tex --]

[-- Attachment #3: env-islamwalayah.tex --]

[-- Attachment #4: islamcosmology.tex --]

[-- Attachment #5: islamwalayah.tex --]

* Re: Project Structure in MkIV
@ 2011-10-30 16:55 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-10-30 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 30-10-2011 14:58, Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد wrote:
> Dear gang,
>
> I am porting a huge project from mkii to mkiv and am running into
> structure problems. I now realize that

- you can run with \enabletrackers[system.jobfiles]
- and also see in the log file what structure is loaded (near the end)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2011-10-30 17:17   ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد @ 2011-10-30 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 10:55:02 -0600, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> On 30-10-2011 14:58, Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد wrote:

>> I am porting a huge project from mkii to mkiv and am running into
>> structure problems. I now realize that
>
> - you can run with \enabletrackers[system.jobfiles]
> - and also see in the log file what structure is loaded (near the end)

When I run the component islamcosmology.tex, I get

ConTeXt  ver: 2011.10.10 13:38 MKIV  fmt: 2011.10.10

:

system          > files > stop used files

system          > structure > start used structure

used structure  > text: islamcosmology
used structure  >   component: islamcosmology

system          > structure > stop used structure

============

So it seems that

\product islamwalayah

in islamcosmology.tex is being ignored ... Is it a bug?

Best wishes
Idris

@ 2011-10-30 17:24     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-10-30 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 30.10.2011 um 18:17 schrieb Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد:

> On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 10:55:02 -0600, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
>> On 30-10-2011 14:58, Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد wrote:
>
>>> I am porting a huge project from mkii to mkiv and am running into
>>> structure problems. I now realize that
>>
>> - you can run with \enabletrackers[system.jobfiles]
>> - and also see in the log file what structure is loaded (near the end)
>
> When I run the component islamcosmology.tex, I get
>
> ConTeXt  ver: 2011.10.10 13:38 MKIV  fmt: 2011.10.10
>
> :
>
> system          > files > stop used files
>

> system          > structure > start used structure
>
> used structure  > text: islamcosmology
> used structure  >   component: islamcosmology
>
> system          > structure > stop used structure
>
> ============
>
> So it seems that
>
> \product islamwalayah
>
> in islamcosmology.tex is being ignored ... Is it a bug?

Components read project and environment files but not product files because this would end in a loop.

Take also a look at Hans magazine about project structure: http://pragma-ade.com/show-mag-13.htm

Wolfgang

* Re: Project Structure in MkIV
@ 2011-10-30 17:31       ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد @ 2011-10-30 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 11:24:01 -0600, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

>> So it seems that
>>
>> \product islamwalayah
>>
>> in islamcosmology.tex is being ignored ... Is it a bug?
>
> Components read project and environment files but not product files
> because this would end in a loop.
>
> Take also a look at Hans magazine about project structure:
> http://pragma-ade.com/show-mag-13.htm

Actually read that a couple of times. One thing missing from that article
is any example of a component file, and I was unable to deduce the point
you just made from the rest of the text. Looking again at the table on
page three it is starting to make sense. Between, \start-stopcpmponent
\product is run "none" and \project is run "once". Now I think I I see
what the table is saying :-)

So I'll make a project file and report back ... THNX! and

Best wishes
Idris

@ 2011-10-30 17:57         ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد @ 2011-10-30 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 11:31:02 -0600, Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد
<ishamid@colostate.edu> wrote:

> So I'll make a project file and report back

Works ... and THANKS!

Idris