On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 11:38:42 -0700, Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد wrote: > OTOH, why not just use > bla bla \message{Here is a note to myself.} bla bla Just curious: Is there anything that \message is missing for what u want? I tried both inline and multiline combos and they all work like a charm: ========== \starttext Here is some text. \message{Given an action, the recompense is always in proportion to the degree of participation in Consciousness involved.} Here is some text. Here is some text. \message{Given an action, the recompense is always in proportion to the degree of participation in Consciousness involved.} Here is some text. Here is some text. \message{Given an action, the recompense is always in proportion to the degree of participation in Consciousness involved.} Here is some text. Here is some text. \message{Given an action, the recompense is always in proportion to the degree of participation in Consciousness involved.} Here is some text. \stoptext ========== As a feature, I suppose all that's needed -- for the paranoid, maybe you're writing a letter to your boss with hidden curses ;-) -- is the option to suppress the showing of the text on the console/log. Although it's in the source anyway ... For ¿ and ¡ probably some simple catcode trickery will \let you define them as you like. So I'm curious: How can we define ¿ = \message{ ¡ = } % this one is of course trivial, but for completeness... Since you brought this up, I've actually started using \message more (and no, not for cursing my boss!) Best wishes Idris -- Professor Idris Samawi Hamid, Editor-in-Chief International Journal of Shīʿī Studies Department of Philosophy Colorado State University Fort Collins, CO 80523