* reference bug: MkiV
@ 2011-11-01 18:47 Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد @ 2011-11-01 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear cabal,

There seems to be a bug in MkIV:

============
\starttext
This is a test \inoutermargin[ref]{test}

As explained earlier (page \at[ref])

This is a test \inoutermargin[reference=reff]{test}

As explained earlier (page \at[reff])
\stoptext
============

The reference is not generated in either method:

===========log==========
check           > missing or ungrouped '=' after 'ref' in line 2
(@@mcinoutermargin:)
references      > unknown reference [][ref]
references      > unknown reference [][reff]
========================

Please advise and

Best wishes
Idris
International Journal of Shīʿī Studies
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

[-- Attachment #2: reference.tex --]

* Re: reference bug: MkiV
@ 2011-11-01 18:59 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-11-01 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 01.11.2011 um 19:47 schrieb Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد:

> Dear cabal,
>
> There seems to be a bug in MkIV:
>
> ============
> \starttext
> This is a test \inoutermargin[ref]{test}
>
> As explained earlier (page \at[ref])
>
> This is a test \inoutermargin[reference=reff]{test}
>
> As explained earlier (page \at[reff])
> \stoptext
> ============
>
> The reference is not generated in either method:
>
> ===========log==========
> check           > missing or ungrouped '=' after 'ref' in line 2 (@@mcinoutermargin:)
> references      > unknown reference [][ref]
> references      > unknown reference [][reff]
> ========================
>
> Please advise and

\inoutermargin doesn’t support references and the optional argument expects a assignments as you can see from the message

Wolfgang

* Re: reference bug: MkiV
@ 2011-11-01 19:20   ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد @ 2011-11-01 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 12:59:41 -0600, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

>> The reference is not generated in either method:
>>
>> ===========log==========
>> check           > missing or ungrouped '=' after 'ref' in line 2
>> (@@mcinoutermargin:)
>> references      > unknown reference [][ref]
>> references      > unknown reference [][reff]
>> ========================
>>
>> Please advise and
>
> \inoutermargin doesn’t support references and the optional argument
> expects a assignments as you can see from the message

Well, that's quite frustrating... I have a 400-page document I'm trying to
port to MkIV full of references, the old \inmargin no longer respect
[align=outer], so I switched to the new system, and now the new system
does not support references ...

Is there any workaround, either for \inmargin or \inoutermargin? My
publisher is going to kill me ;-)

Best wishes
Idris
International Journal of Shīʿī Studies
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: reference bug: MkiV
@ 2011-11-01 20:03     ` Wolfgang Schuster
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-11-01 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 01.11.2011 um 20:20 schrieb Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد:

> On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 12:59:41 -0600, Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:
>

>>> The reference is not generated in either method:
>>>
>>> ===========log==========
>>> check           > missing or ungrouped '=' after 'ref' in line 2 (@@mcinoutermargin:)
>>> references      > unknown reference [][ref]
>>> references      > unknown reference [][reff]
>>> ========================
>>>
>>> Please advise and
>>
>> \inoutermargin doesn’t support references and the optional argument expects a assignments as you can see from the message
>
> Well, that's quite frustrating... I have a 400-page document I'm trying to port to MkIV full of references, the old \inmargin no longer respect [align=outer], so I switched to the new system, and now the new system does not support references …

The old \inmargin command is gone, Hans rewrote the whole code for \inmargin etc.

You can change the alignment global with \setupmarginframed[align=outer] for for a single
command with \inmargin[][align=outer]{…}

> Is there any workaround, either for \inmargin or \inoutermargin? My publisher is going to kill me ;-)

\usemodule[annotation]

%\defineannotation[mymargin][alternative=inmargin]

\define[2]\MymarginCommand
  {\inmargin[scope=local]{#2}}

\defineannotation
  [mymargin]
  [alternative=command,
   command=\MymarginCommand]

\starttext

See is a test.\mymargin[reference=mar:test]{Test}

See \at{page}[mar:test].

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: reference bug: MkiV
@ 2011-11-03 20:12       ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد @ 2011-11-03 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Wolfgang,

On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 14:03:04 -0600, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

>> Well, that's quite frustrating... I have a 400-page document I'm trying
>> to port to MkIV full of references, the old \inmargin no longer respect
>> [align=outer], so I switched to the new system, and now the new system
>> does not support references …

> The old \inmargin command is gone, Hans rewrote the whole code for
> \inmargin etc.
> You can change the alignment global with \setupmarginframed[align=outer]
> for for a single
> command with \inmargin[][align=outer]{…}

Hmm .. does not work:

====================
\starttext
\setuplayout[location={middle,doublesided},backspace=2cm]
%
\setupmargindata[inoutermargin][location=outer,align=inner,style=\tfxx\setupinterlinespace,margin=54pt]
\setupmarginframed[align=outer]
% \dorecurse{20}{\input zapf \inmargin{This is a test of the margindata
system and the inmargin macros}\par  }

\dorecurse{20}{\input zapf \inmargin[][align=outer]{This is a test of the
margindata system and the inmargin macros}\par  }
    \stoptext
====================

inmargin remains in the left margin on each page.

@ 2011-11-03 20:17       ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد @ 2011-11-03 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 14:03:04 -0600, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

>> Well, that's quite frustrating... I have a 400-page document I'm trying
>> to port to MkIV full of references, the old \inmargin no longer respect
>> [align=outer], so I switched to the new system, and now the new system
>> does not support references …

> The old \inmargin command is gone, Hans rewrote the whole code for
> \inmargin etc.
> You can change the alignment global with \setupmarginframed[align=outer]
> for for a single
> command with \inmargin[][align=outer]{…}
>
>> Is there any workaround, either for \inmargin or \inoutermargin? My
>> publisher is going to kill me
> \usemodule[annotation]
> %\defineannotation[mymargin][alternative=inmargin]
> \define[2]\MymarginCommand
>   {\inmargin[scope=local]{#2}}
> \defineannotation
>   [mymargin]
>   [alternative=command,
>    command=\MymarginCommand]
> \starttext
> See is a test.\mymargin[reference=mar:test]{Test}
> See \at{page}[mar:test].
> \stoptext

Ok, here is an example that takes both align=outer and references into
account:

====================
\usemodule[annotation]
\setuplayout[location={middle,doublesided},backspace=2cm]
\setupmargindata[inoutermargin][location=outer,align=inner,style=\tfxx\setupinterlinespace]
\define[2]\MymarginCommand
     {\inoutermargin[scope=local]{#2}}

\defineannotation
     [mymargin]
     [alternative=command,
      command=\MymarginCommand]

\starttext

This is a test.\mymargin[reference=mar:test]{Test} See
\at{page}[mar:testt].

\dorecurse{8}{\input zapf \mymargin{This is a test of the margindata
system and the inmargin macros}\par  }

\blank[7*big]

This is a test.\mymargin[reference=mar:testt]{Test} See
\at{page}[mar:test].
    \stoptext
====================

Appears to work well, and I have to give you a BIG THANK YOU!!!

@ 2011-11-03 20:18       ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد @ 2011-11-03 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2011-11-03 20:23         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-11-03 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 03.11.2011 um 21:12 schrieb Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد:

> Hi Wolfgang,
>
> On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 14:03:04 -0600, Wolfgang Schuster
> <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Well, that's quite frustrating... I have a 400-page document I'm trying to port to MkIV full of references, the old \inmargin no longer respect [align=outer], so I switched to the new system, and now the new system does not support references …
>
>> The old \inmargin command is gone, Hans rewrote the whole code for \inmargin etc.
>> You can change the alignment global with \setupmarginframed[align=outer] for for a single
>> command with \inmargin[][align=outer]{…}
>
> Hmm .. does not work:
>
> ====================
> \starttext
> \setuplayout[location={middle,doublesided},backspace=2cm]
> \setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided]
> %
> \setupmargindata[inoutermargin][location=outer,align=inner,style=\tfxx\setupinterlinespace,margin=54pt]
> \setupmarginframed[align=outer]
> % \dorecurse{20}{\input zapf \inmargin{This is a test of the margindata
> system and the inmargin macros}\par  }
>
> \dorecurse{20}{\input zapf \inmargin[][align=outer]{This is a test of the
> margindata system and the inmargin macros}\par  }
>   \stoptext
> ====================
>
> inmargin remains in the left margin on each page.

The \margindata commands have two optional commands, the arguments of the first argument
are used for the placement of the margin text while the second passes it’s argument to the frame
part of each command.

Wolfgang

* Re: reference bug: MkiV
@ 2011-11-03 20:24         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-11-03 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 03.11.2011 um 21:17 schrieb Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد:

> On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 14:03:04 -0600, Wolfgang Schuster
> <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Well, that's quite frustrating... I have a 400-page document I'm trying to port to MkIV full of references, the old \inmargin no longer respect [align=outer], so I switched to the new system, and now the new system does not support references …
>
>> The old \inmargin command is gone, Hans rewrote the whole code for \inmargin etc.
>> You can change the alignment global with \setupmarginframed[align=outer] for for a single
>> command with \inmargin[][align=outer]{…}
>>
>>> Is there any workaround, either for \inmargin or \inoutermargin? My publisher is going to kill me
>> \usemodule[annotation]
>> %\defineannotation[mymargin][alternative=inmargin]
>> \define[2]\MymarginCommand
>>  {\inmargin[scope=local]{#2}}
>> \defineannotation
>>  [mymargin]
>>  [alternative=command,
>>   command=\MymarginCommand]
>> \starttext
>> See is a test.\mymargin[reference=mar:test]{Test}
>> See \at{page}[mar:test].
>> \stoptext
>
> Ok, here is an example that takes both align=outer and references into
> account:
>
> ====================
> \usemodule[annotation]
> \setuplayout[location={middle,doublesided},backspace=2cm]
> \setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided]
> \setupmargindata[inoutermargin][location=outer,align=inner,style=\tfxx\setupinterlinespace]
> \define[2]\MymarginCommand
>    {\inoutermargin[scope=local]{#2}}
>
> \defineannotation
>    [mymargin]
>    [alternative=command,
>     command=\MymarginCommand]
>
> \starttext
>
> This is a test.\mymargin[reference=mar:test]{Test} See
> \at{page}[mar:testt].
>
> \dorecurse{8}{\input zapf \mymargin{This is a test of the margindata
> system and the inmargin macros}\par  }
>
> \blank[7*big]
>
> This is a test.\mymargin[reference=mar:testt]{Test} See
> \at{page}[mar:test].
>   \stoptext
> ====================
>
> Appears to work well, and I have to give you a BIG THANK YOU!!!

For longer texts you can replace \mymargin{…} with \startmymargin …\stopmymargin.

Wolfgang

* Re: reference bug: MkiV
@ 2011-11-03 20:35           ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد @ 2011-11-03 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 03 Nov 2011 14:23:28 -0600, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> The old \inmargin command is gone, Hans rewrote the whole code for
>>> \inmargin etc.

>>> You can change the alignment global with
>>> \setupmarginframed[align=outer] for for a single
>>> command with \inmargin[][align=outer]{…}
>>
>> Hmm .. does not work:
>>
>> ====================
>> \starttext
>> \setuplayout[location={middle,doublesided},backspace=2cm]
>> \setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided]
>> %
>> \setupmargindata[inoutermargin][location=outer,align=inner,style=\tfxx\setupinterlinespace,margin=54pt]
>> \setupmarginframed[align=outer]
>> % \dorecurse{20}{\input zapf \inmargin{This is a test of the margindata
>> system and the inmargin macros}\par  }
>>
>> \dorecurse{20}{\input zapf \inmargin[][align=outer]{This is a test of
>> the
>> margindata system and the inmargin macros}\par  }
>>   \stoptext
>> ====================
>>
>> inmargin remains in the left margin on each page.
> The \margindata commands have two optional commands, the arguments of
> the first argument
> are used for the placement of the margin text while the second passes
> it’s argument to the frame
> part of each command.

Ok, this may seem like a moot point since we got the other method working,
but work on the context book means getting clear on these things and if
there is a bug, so ... :

A perhaps clearer example:

=================
\starttext
\setuplayout[location={middle,doublesided},backspace=2cm]
% \setupmarginframed[][align=outer]
% \setupmarginframed[align=outer][]
\setupmarginframed[align=outer]

\dorecurse{20}{\input zapf \inmargin{This is a test of the marginframed
system and the inmargin macros}\par  }
  \stoptext =================

Toggling the commented line with the two immediately above it makes no
difference; inmargin stays in the left gutter.

What am I doing wrong? or should we just officially forget about the
marginframed mechanism and stick to margindata only??

@ 2011-11-03 21:04             ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-11-03 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 03.11.2011 um 21:35 schrieb Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد:

> What am I doing wrong? or should we just officially forget about the marginframed mechanism and stick to margindata only??

Just to be clear, the name of the whole thing is margin data and you define a new command with \definemargindata.

To describe what’s the difference between \setupmargindata and \setupmarginframed is a wrote a very simple version of \inmargin.

\def\imrand#1%
  {\vadjust
     {\llap
        {\smash[h]{\inframed{#1}}%
         \hskip\leftmargindistance}}}

\starttext \showframe

text text text text \imrand{margin} text text text text
text text text text text text text text text text text
text text text text text text text text text text text

\stoptext

You can split my \imrand command in two parts, the first \vadjust{\llap{…}} which puts the argument in the margin, to make changes at this part you use \setupmargindata where you can control with the “location” key on which side the text should appear (“left” for the left margin, “right” for the right margin, “inner” for the inner margin etc.) and in which block (“margin=edge” for the edge and “margin=margin” for the margin). The second part is \framed, to make changes at this part you can use the \setupmarginframed command (e.g. to disable/enable the frame). The question is now why not only one command for both but the answer is simple, both have keys with the same name (e.g. location) which expect different argument and only when you use different setup commands total control about the environment is possible.

You can find a overview about all keys and their values in my new command reference: https://bitbucket.org/wolfs/commands/downloads

Wolfgang

* Re: reference bug: MkiV
@ 2011-11-03 21:35               ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد @ 2011-11-03 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 03 Nov 2011 15:04:06 -0600, Wolfgang Schuster

:
> You can find a overview about all keys and their values in my new
> command reference: https://bitbucket.org/wolfs/commands/downloads

As always, Wolfgang, THNX. I'll study this. I got inmargin to behave by

================
\starttext
\setuplayout[location={middle,doublesided},backspace=2cm]
\setupmargindata[inmargin][align=inner,location=outer]

\dorecurse{20}{\input zapf \inmargin{This is a test of the marginframed
system and the inmargin macros}\par  }
  \stoptext
================

and I'll make a note to work on this some more to get more clear. Thnx
again, and

@ 2011-11-04  9:13           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-11-04  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3-11-2011 21:24, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> For longer texts you can replace \mymargin{…} with \startmymargin …\stopmymargin.

A next version will support

\starttext

\inmargin[reference=test1]{test} test \at[test2] \page
\inmargin[reference=test2]{test} test \at[test1]

\stoptext

but this does nothing as clever as the annotation code as it's just a
basic page reference to the blob that ends up in the margin.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: reference bug: MkiV
@ 2011-11-05 14:05             ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد @ 2011-11-05 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 04 Nov 2011 03:13:14 -0600, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> On 3-11-2011 21:24, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>
>> For longer texts you can replace \mymargin{…} with \startmymargin
>> …\stopmymargin.
>
> A next version will support
>
> \starttext
>
> \inmargin[reference=test1]{test} test \at[test2] \page
> \inmargin[reference=test2]{test} test \at[test1]
>
> \stoptext
>
> but this does nothing as clever as the annotation code as it's just a
> basic page reference to the blob that ends up in the margin.

Just noticed this ... works in the latest beta!

@ 2011-11-05 14:07           ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد @ 2011-11-05 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 03 Nov 2011 14:24:53 -0600, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> For longer texts you can replace \mymargin{…} with \startmymargin
> …\stopmymargin.

This is a _very_ useful feature :-)