* \ldots
@ 2010-05-19 13:42 Jan Pohanka
From: Jan Pohanka @ 2010-05-19 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello,
I discovered that with one font the \ldots command typesets three colons
(:::).

I found these lines in plain.tex

\mathchardef\ldotp="613A % ldot as a punctuation mark
\def\ldots{\mathinner{\ldotp\ldotp\ldotp}}

saying the \ldots uses character on position 3A. In the font (type 1),
there is really the semicolon on this position.
How to make context to use proper character (\period), which is on
position 2E in the font without changing this file? Or is it possible to
use a special glyph for horizontal ellipsis with \ldots command? (It
exists in the font)

best regads
Jan

--
Ing. Jan Pohanka
Department of Measurement

* Re: \ldots
@ 2010-05-19 13:50 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2010-05-19 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

2010/5/19 Jan Pohanka <xhpohanka@gmail.com>:
> Hello,
> I discovered that with one font the \ldots command typesets three colons
> (:::).
>
> I found these lines in plain.tex
>
> \mathchardef\ldotp="613A % ldot as a punctuation mark
> \def\ldots{\mathinner{\ldotp\ldotp\ldotp}}
Are you sure that we are using plain.tex ?
In mkii
\ldots ->\dohandlemathtoken {ldots}
while in mkiv
\ldots ->\Umathchar "0 "0 "2026

--
luigi

* Re: \ldots
@ 2010-05-19 18:55 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-05-19 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 19 May 2010, Jan Pohanka wrote:

> Hello,
> I discovered that with one font the \ldots command typesets three colons
> (:::).
>
> I found these lines in plain.tex

No, for mkii you should look at math-*.mkii files. The relevant file in
this case is math-tex.mkii, which defines

\definemathsymbol [ldotp] [punct] [mi] ["3A]

> saying the \ldots uses character on position 3A. In the font (type 1), there
> is really the semicolon on this position.
> How to make context to use proper character (\period), which is on position
> 2E in the font without changing this file?

You need to define a new math encoding (see math-ams.mkii or
math-eul.mkii).

> Or is it possible to use a special
> glyph for horizontal ellipsis with \ldots command? (It exists in the font)

\definemathsymbol [ldots] [inner] [mi] ["XX]

where XX is the location of the glyph.

Aditya

* Re: \ldots
@ 2010-05-20 15:43   ` Jan Pohanka
From: Jan Pohanka @ 2010-05-20 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for the reply,
it helped.

Exploring the math- files I found other questions.

What's the difference between \definemathsymbol and \definemathcharacter?
I expect that [punct] means punctuation character, but what the [inner]
means? Where can I found what [xx] different characters need?

greetings Jan

Dne Wed, 19 May 2010 20:55:44 +0200 Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu>
napsal(a):

> On Wed, 19 May 2010, Jan Pohanka wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I discovered that with one font the \ldots command typesets three
>> colons (:::).
>>
>> I found these lines in plain.tex
>
> No, for mkii you should look at math-*.mkii files. The relevant file in
> this case is math-tex.mkii, which defines
>
> \definemathsymbol [ldotp] [punct] [mi] ["3A]
>
>> saying the \ldots uses character on position 3A. In the font (type 1),
>> there is really the semicolon on this position.
>> How to make context to use proper character (\period), which is on
>> position 2E in the font without changing this file?
>
> You need to define a new math encoding (see math-ams.mkii or
> math-eul.mkii).
>
>> Or is it possible to use a special glyph for horizontal ellipsis with
>> \ldots command? (It exists in the font)
>
> \definemathsymbol [ldots] [inner] [mi] ["XX]
>
> where XX is the location of the glyph.
>
> Aditya

http://www.opera.com/mail/

* Re: \ldots
@ 2010-05-20 15:57     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-05-20 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 20 May 2010, Jan Pohanka wrote:

> Thanks for the reply,
> it helped.
>
> Exploring the math- files I found other questions.
>
> What's the difference between \definemathsymbol and \definemathcharacter?

symbol are cs names (\something) that map to a font glyph.

characters are input character (any ascii/unicode value) that map to a
font glyph

command is a cs name (\something) that maps to a TeX command
(\somethingelse)

> I expect that [punct] means punctuation character, but what the [inner]
> means?

inner is same as ord math class (see the TeX book). ConTeXt uses some
symbol names which map back to mathclasses. See math-ini.mkii for a list
(grep for \chardef\math...)

> Where can I found what [xx] different characters need?

In the font :-) You can use (in MkII)

\loadmapfile[name.map]
\starttext
\showfont[full-name-of-font]
\stoptext

BTW, which math font are you using?

Aditya

* Re: \ldots
@ 2010-05-20 19:36       ` Honza Pohanka
From: Honza Pohanka @ 2010-05-20 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dne Thu, 20 May 2010 17:57:58 +0200 Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu>
napsal(a):

> On Thu, 20 May 2010, Jan Pohanka wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the reply,
>> it helped.
>>
>> Exploring the math- files I found other questions.
>>
>> What's the difference between \definemathsymbol and
>> \definemathcharacter?
>
> symbol are cs names (\something) that map to a font glyph.
>
> characters are input character (any ascii/unicode value) that map to a
> font glyph
>
> command is a cs name (\something) that maps to a TeX command
> (\somethingelse)
>
>> I expect that [punct] means punctuation character, but what the [inner]
>> means?
>
> inner is same as ord math class (see the TeX book). ConTeXt uses some
> symbol names which map back to mathclasses. See math-ini.mkii for a list
> (grep for \chardef\math...)
>
>> Where can I found what [xx] different characters need?
>
> In the font :-) You can use (in MkII)
>
> \loadmapfile[name.map]
> \starttext
> \showfont[full-name-of-font]
> \stoptext
>
> BTW, which math font are you using?

I played with Serapion from Storm foundry. Math is not complete there, but
some glyphs (as \ldots) are present.

http://www.opera.com/mail/